• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  • Supports:USA, RBNY
Our midfield at the moment:
Guevara
Gaven
Lisi
Bradley
Stammler(I guess he can be listed as a midfielder now, eh?)
Magee(Forward/Midfielder)

We have 6 midfielders. That's not enough, but they are all quality mids. We have no WIDE mids. We have no left sided players. Magee on one side and Gaven on the other just ain't gonna cut it. I think a quality Armas, Mastro, Joseph type d mid is neccessary. I think we have quality attacking midfielders in Gaven and Guevara, and Magee and Lisi have shown stints of greatness. Maybe Youri can drop back into the midfield, and we can get a target forward to go along with SGR. But anyway, we need a defensive midfielder and a wide left midfielder. I guess Eric Quill just wasn't good enough, huh? Bradley's good, but he's not great. But keep in mind he will be a year older and a year better. Lisi is a frigging ball-watcher. He has lost his offensive touch, and he isn't agressive enough to be a d mid. He is a leader on the field. But that's about it.

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
the metros should get edgar davids if the new "beckham exemption rule" goes into effect.

Dubya2

Dubya2

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
IIRC, didn't Mo say previously that Magee is a forward, and that the team is short on D Mids? I'd believe that's one of the things that'll be worked on this winter.

Infected Since 96'

Infected Since 96'

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Supports:Azzurri/Juventus
Bradley plays no D.
Magee is a forward.
Lisi is useless and always hurt.

This team has no midfield depth!!!

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Bradley plays no D.
Magee is a forward.

Have you even watched a game this year?

Bradley played very well at DM. Magee at the end of the season played well on the wing but he played mostly out of position all season long.

And Lisi is a good option from the bench.

Belshina

Belshina

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars, Juventus, Real Madrid
stay tuned for the draft day and major midfield make over....that the only thing that comes to mind at the moment

Infected Since 96'

Infected Since 96'

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Supports:Azzurri/Juventus
Yeah, I did watch every game this year. Did you? Bradley isn't horrible but needs to be much more physical if he's gonna be d-mid, and quicker on the ball. Magee is a good finisher but NOT A WING MID, he's way to slow. Might as well bring Vaca back. Lisi should be nothing short of trade bait.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
I may get rocks and stones thrown at me for this but Mark Lisi deserves to be on this team. He was played out of position as a defensive midfielder all season. He should be playing as an attacking midfielder. He knows this and commented about having to learn to play more defensively. He is known for creating assists. I dont care what anybody says about secondary assists and how irrelevant they are. Lisi can place the ball at the foot of any player and start attacks. He is not known for his defending. But you can't sit Amado Guevara. I think Mo Johnston gets a solid defensive midfielder and Guevara and Lisi pair up in the middle next year and create a lot of attacks for the MetroStars.
2013, 2015 and 2018 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

Simon Birch

Simon Birch

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Supports:I hate Newcastle
Partner Bradley in a 3-5-2 with a real ball winner type (in the Armas, Vaegnas mold) and that would be an interesting combo in the holding mids role. Bradley could be the best defensive mid this country has ever created if he continues to improve at this rate. Smart, savvy balls and good positioning, the kid is a keeper.

We need a left mid and I would put my money on it that Adu takes that slot on this team. Right mid with Gaven is alright, centrally we have Amado. This would slide Youri up top.

Lisi would be on the bench then, Magee can play the mid in a pinch, as can Ward. We do need a couple midfielders though. We need to scour the A-League for one or two mid to late 20's midfielders in the Paul Dougherty, Jim Rooney mold who can step on the pitch and play decently well when we need them too. That type of depth and cover is key for a team wanting to advance in the playoffs.

DrNO

DrNO

Cosmos. Metro. RedBull.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Bradley plays no D.
Magee is a forward.

+ Guevara doesn't want to play in MLS (so you have someone talented with no hunger or desire to win)

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts
Lisi was really good down the stretch. Same with Bradley.

The solution isn't a simple add a winger, and a ballwinner. You have to create a starting 11 that can win. The midfield was the best and most consistent part of the team this season. I can think of maybe one or two matches where the midfield didn't show up. And most of our problems didn't originate from the lack of support from the midfield, but the inability of the defense to hold a simple marker and/or poor goaltending (think Wells).

Where do we need upgrades? I think the first is a legit right back. That position is a blackhole, and Leitch was horrendous this past year (how he was awarded defender of the year is beyond me).

Second, the question is the center of the defense. Will any of the 5 central defenders we have step up? I'm talking about Parke, Regan, Mendes, Hernandez, and Stammler. All of those guys are good MLS talents, and young. So you can see improvements in their games. If none of them do, then a good distributing central back is needed.

Finally, the other person you add to the quotient is a big time striker. I'm talking about a lethal finisher. SGR is an ok forward, but not a big time striker (Wanchope, Quinteros, whoever). Razov I think was very good with us, playing through injury, etc, but I doubt he stays here.

-----------????????-------------Youri----------------
-----Guevara------------------------------Gaven----------
---------------Lisi-----------Bradley--------------------
Ward----------------------------------------------------------
--------------???????--------??????----------??????-----------
----------------------Meola----------------------------------

I have Ward pushed up a little on that wing. I have Gaven playing right extreme. Guevara is pushed a little more to the center, but he is patrolling that left position where so much of his offense originates from. So the left wing position is split between Ward, Lisi, and Guevara. The key is for Gaven to play more right wing. If he plays defense as he has been, that means we have four midfielders who play both sides of the ball very well.

I don't think the 3-5-2 was the best strategy for the team as constructed. We didn't even play that well in it (gave up 2 goals against Chicago after what was supposedly a good performance, gritty game against DC, plastered against Chivas, fantastic match against the Revs, outplayed against the Revs).

I also think all these calls for BIG changes are absurd. The team was competitive throughout the season, in a virtual tie for fourth when Bob was fired, and only a couple of points out of second and third place.

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Supports:Metro Liverpool Lokomotiv Sounders

I may get rocks and stones thrown at me for this but Mark Lisi deserves to be on this team. He was played out of position as a defensive midfielder all season. He should be playing as an attacking midfielder. He knows this and commented about having to learn to play more defensively. He is known for creating assists. I dont care what anybody says about secondary assists and how irrelevant they are. Lisi can place the ball at the foot of any player and start attacks. He is not known for his defending. But you can't sit Amado Guevara. I think Mo Johnston gets a solid defensive midfielder and Guevara and Lisi pair up in the middle next year and create a lot of attacks for the MetroStars.

I agree with ya, Lisi should be kept...however only if he's going to be played in his proper position this year and push Magee back up front.

It amazes me how many people crap on Lisi then kiss Junior's ass. Junior had a decent season but it was nothing to get worked up about. If it wasn't for his last name he would been on the waiver list already.

Most people are comming out in droves in praise junior after his supposed best goal in franchise history. I'll agree the goal was massive for the club but as an individual effort Bradley was caught too deep in the box yet again and for once benefitted from lagging behind....if anything it's the ever so loved Lisi who should be praised for putting that ball on his head and placing us into the playoffs. Lisi provided the goods on that goal, Bradley finished what anyone one of us could of done.

Lisi has to stay...sick of changing the squad every year... you would figure someone outhere would get the idea that after 9 full seasons. :)+

Metrostars FC -- "The hardest FC in the world"
Метро Красное Общество Звезды

If only all footballers were like David Bentley

Binks

Binks

Posting From Behind Enemy Lines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,749 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Fulham, RFC

the metros should get edgar davids if the new "beckham exemption rule" goes into effect.

As much as I like the thought, I know it's not going to happen.

Pregame pints 15. Ticket to the game 60. Carlsburg, Meatpie and Crisps 16. Seeing an American score on another American at a Premier League match in England; Priceless.
"i just like to be careful right b4 i go on a first date with a chick. too much weird comments on facebook and im dead from the start" - JayDelight

"There's nothing good about my team, my team is shit!" (Harraby Lad to Alexi Lalas about Carlisle United)

And then, just like that, his halitosis and jersey were gone. -Bobby Boswell on Bobbygate

JonnyG

JonnyG

Now with a blog!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  • Supports:USA, RBNY

His hair is pretty sick.

He reminds me of EDGAR Bartolameo...(Sp?)

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,341 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If it wasn't for his last name he would been on the waiver list already.

Right, he only played because his father was the coach. :)+ I never heard that one before. Hillarious.

Lisi provided the goods on that goal, Bradley finished what anyone one of us could of done.

When you score a goal on a professional level, let me know, ok? I'll send you a postcard.

Take a wild guess who gave Jamie Redknapp his start at Bournemouth. At the age of 17. Idiocy.
MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users