70 replies to this topic

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Right. You need two good wingbacks to play a 3 CB system, Tolkin is fine on the left, but I dont think Edwards has the speed for a wingback role. And Harper doesnt look good enough defensively yet to rely on.

Straight up, I don't even like Tolkin at LWB. I really think that we would be better served using him and Edwards (or possibly now Duncan) as just regular fullbacks with Reyes and Long as the CB's. That is a top 3 backline in the league IMO.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Reyes back to the bench. Another moronic foul when he came in. The guy is skilled just seems to have occasional very stupid lapses when he plays. He had the opponent pinned to the sideline where the most he could get was a throw, at best. He then obviously pushed him in the back right in front of the ref, like a complete fool to give him a free kick and nearly earned a yellow.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
https://twitter.com/...U2kM5D6u5Yk_sNQ

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

https://twitter.com/...U2kM5D6u5Yk_sNQ

So Dylan goes to the bench, not Sean? 

This also indirectly means Edwards is probably gone, since Duncan would start at RB most likely.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull
I think Strubers optimal backline would have the Neali on the bench

Tolkin Reyes Long Edwards Duncan

Still need a LB cover though

And the above would be decent enough IMO, esp with LB cover

Unless he wants Duncan as cover for both flanks, which, from what I remember from previous Duncan LB experiments, is not optimal

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

I think Strubers optimal backline would have the Neali on the bench

Tolkin Reyes Long Edwards Duncan

Still need a LB cover though

And the above would be decent enough IMO, esp with LB cover

Unless he wants Duncan as cover for both flanks, which, from what I remember from previous Duncan LB experiments, is not optimal

Yeah, Neali on the bench would be ideal, but it looks like Struber specifically mentioned Dylan. Your lineup though above is ideal with Neali on the bench. In case of Tolkin injury, I think Duncan can cover LB pretty well, and then Sean can step in off the bench with Edwards moving to the right or Dylan going to the right.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Well, he ended up a starter in play-offs. Maybe he shouldn't have been.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
I think Shep would say he has a low soccer IQ. Like a Bull in a china shop. I dont trust him enough to be a starter.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The guy clearly never gained anything close to 90 minutes fitness this year. He only got going towards the end of summer and had another long layoff with the ankle problem. So maybe not too shocking that he made a mental mistake late in the second half of this one...

I still believe Reyes is a great MLS starter. Health is the only thing that scares me.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

The guy clearly never gained anything close to 90 minutes fitness this year. He only got going towards the end of summer and had another long layoff with the ankle problem. So maybe not too shocking that he made a mental mistake late in the second half of this one...

I still believe Reyes is a great MLS starter. Health is the only thing that scares me.

Blindly swinging at the ball in the box is 101-level mistake that's just incomprehensible. He looks like a good player at or even beyond the MLS level, but it's still weird to see a mental lapse like this.

I'm not worried if he's a starting CB for us next year, but will always be a little worried with him making a tackle in a big game.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
Ya... Dude makes some odd choices and is tough to trust in big moments.

The health is important though and the guy hasn't stayed healthy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users