4113630.jpg

mkbloodyen

mkbloodyen

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Supports:Metro SC

Zubar wouldn't be a terrible option, if he wasn't made of glass. 

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

If there's any way they can sign 2 cbs before the start of the season they should really just cut Zubar

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

If there's any way they can sign 2 cbs before the start of the season they should really just cut Zubar

Pretty sure he had a two-year deal

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Pretty sure he had a two-year deal

Right... hmm... we get the one "get out of contract" free card each off season that at least frees up cap space, but they may have to buy out the remaining years of his contract. That probably doesn't jive with the whole "don't waste money" thing that owners have going these days.

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I'm totally cool with Ouimette playing instead of Zubar.  Although the center back line is looking mighty thin right now.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

I'm totally cool with Ouimette playing instead of Zubar.  Although the center back line is looking mighty thin right now.

hopefully Ouimette has continued to progress, and will be a more solid player. He was pretty shaky a few times list season. I recall Dax Going off on him pretty bad one time. We can't have that. Let's hope he ready to make the jump to prime time.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

hopefully Ouimette has continued to progress, and will be a more solid player. He was pretty shaky a few times list season. I recall Dax Going off on him pretty bad one time. We can't have that. Let's hope he ready to make the jump to prime time.

Every young guy needs to get yelled out at least once.   FWIW, good things being said about Zach Carroll in pre-season.  Not unreasonable for a guy his age (22)  and size (6' 3", 185) to get minutes.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Again, I think it's over-hyped when it comes to Lade. Apparently Zizzo is just as versatile, but better? 

You're underestimating the comedy value added by Lade's lack of height. Every single person I brought to games this season asked me "who's the short dude on the pitch"?

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

I'm fine with Oui as well, but if Zubar is injured, we have 0 of our 3 starting CBs from last season. Remember that DP isn't coming back any time soon.

Relying on HGPs isn't the end of the world, but I'm not exactly comfortable with our starting central defense. Admittedly, that would be true with or without Zubar in the lineup.

And like you point out, that's before we consider any injuries or suspensions during the season.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

I'm fine with Oui as well, but if Zubar is injured, we have 0 of our 3 starting CBs from last season. Remember that DP isn't coming back any time soon.

Relying on HGPs isn't the end of the world, but I'm not exactly comfortable with our starting central defense. Admittedly, that would be true with or without Zubar in the lineup.

And like you point out, that's before we consider any injuries or suspensions during the season.

isn't the bolded part exactly how Miazga had his breakout year last year? i'd give our HGP players a shot this year. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

isn't the bolded part exactly how Miazga had his breakout year last year? i'd give our HGP players a shot this year. 

That's how Miazga started 2014 where he was prone to gaffes and red cards before getting benched for the second half of the season. He had his breakout last year after already having a chance to round out his game with an appropriate amount of minutes his first season.

Relying on HGs and draftees without any proven players behind them is way, way, way too risky for a team that should be making another run at silverware. We got lucky Miazga made the jump that he did in 2015, but that's more than exception than the rule.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Oh look, here's a decent seeming CB that someone else signed... - exactly the kind of player we should grab. Only 25 with loads of experience

http://www.chicago-f...johan-kappelhof

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Not saying it can't work, just that at this point, CB clearly isn't a position of strength - just like it wasn't expected to be last season during preseason. I don't think anyone was hoping, let alone expecting, Matt to perform at the level he did (~top 5 in MLS).

You can't really count on a youngster to make such a huge step up, again, though. Could it maybe happen? Sure, and that would be awesome. Do you/I think it will actually happen again, for the second year in a row? I think it's against the odds - I hope I get this one wrong. :)

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
Do we even have HGP center backs??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users