365 replies to this topic

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
We currently have promoted a third string keeper this offseason and still haven't replaced most players we let go in 2019, nevermind 2020.

Our USL team currently has two players signed for 2021.

For 2021, I wish all of you the job security that Denis Hamlett has had. Even hope you get a new boss that does your job.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

We currently have promoted a third string keeper this offseason and still haven't replaced most players we let go in 2019, nevermind 2020.

Our USL team currently has two players signed for 2021.

For 2021, I wish all of you the job security that Denis Hamlett has had. Even hope you get a new boss that does your job.

Thelwell is giving the talk on being a sporting director, for all intents and purposes it is his job.

https://twitter.com/...8787286021?s=21

Hamlett likely has very little role outside of maybe some scouting, MLS rules, and an extra pair of ears and eyes on decisions.

Whatever happens this offseason falls on Thelwell and Red Bull, but yeah if Hamlett cant execute his job as rules guru he needs to go.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

i would be shocked if Hamlet didnt get reassigned to scout after this fiasco. 

Scout? This man needs to be reassigned to fan.

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

Scout? This man needs to be reassigned to fan.

Fan? He should be reassigned to Bum of the Franchise.

Bklynfootballer

Bklynfootballer

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA
https://www.onceamet...mlett-red-bulls

I don't agree, but an interesting counterpoint and argument for why he's still around and may continue to be.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,799 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I don't agree, but an interesting counterpoint and argument for why he's still around and may continue to be.

He's still here because firing him would be perceived as an admission of fault in the Kaku shitshow.  As soon as the Kaku nonsense is settled, he's gone, unless he's kept in some very dimished role for his supposed wealth of American talent connections 

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Ben Cork put a whole lot of words into basically saying that we shouldn't blame Hamlett for anything because he was set up to fail and is a nice guy. Both of those two things are very likely true, but imo Sporting Director is too important of a position to forego accountability for any reason. This is very reminiscent of how defensive our local media was of Armas despite such glaring signs that he wasn't doing his job well enough.

You don't get a pass on a $2M bust because someone else made a misleading headline. Or for near total inactivity in the transfer market because you didn't have any experience in a similar role beforehand. There are no participation trophies here.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Ben Cork put a whole lot of words into basically saying that we shouldn't blame Hamlett for anything because he was set up to fail and is a nice guy. Both of those two things are very likely true, but imo Sporting Director is too important of a position to forego accountability for any reason. This is very reminiscent of how defensive our local media was of Armas despite such glaring signs that he wasn't doing his job well enough.

You don't get a pass on a $2M bust because someone else made a misleading headline. Or for near total inactivity in the transfer market because you didn't have any experience in a similar role beforehand. There are no participation trophies here.

Nobody is giving him a "pass." He sucked as a sporting director and he shouldn't ever get a job as one again. Nonetheless, it's very true that he was put in a position he was unqualified for and that it's on RB Global, not him, that this happened. Basically the equivalent of putting Ryan Meara in at striker. The final point made was that Hamlett has use in navigating both North American and Central American soccer circles and as a Spanish speaker. I don't exactly think that makes him irreplaceable because there are surely others with similar resumes and skillsets available, but it does explain why he would have use to a front office filled with Europeans. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

When you hire a first time Sporting Director, or a Head Coach for that matter, you are getting what you are paying for, minimal experience and more mistakes than you were expecting. 

Not a recipe for success, historically speaking.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

If I cost the company $3 million for not filling the right paperwork, I'd be fired.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Bklynfootballer

Bklynfootballer

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA

The final point made was that Hamlett has use in navigating both North American and Central American soccer circles and as a Spanish speaker. I don't exactly think that makes him irreplaceable because there are surely others with similar resumes and skillsets available, but it does explain why he would have use to a front office filled with Europeans. 

Yes, this part. If we can poach a young, up-and-coming coach from the Championship, we should be able to poach a competent Spanish speaking "MLS Whisperer" from another MLS team.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

If I cost the company $3 million for not filling the right paperwork, I'd be fired.

Easy to get a pass when the goal of the team is to advertise soda.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
The inanimate carbon rod should henceforth be known as a Hamlett.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

The inanimate carbon rod should henceforth be known as a Hamlett.

Don't insult Rod!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Yes, this part. If we can poach a young, up-and-coming coach from the Championship, we should be able to poach a competent Spanish speaking "MLS Whisperer" from another MLS team.

MLS Whisper should be easy to find. 

I nominate JPA for Spanish speaker who can help bring dudes up from SA. Doesnt he live in California? 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users