43 replies to this topic

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I was  going to bitch about the stupid grey, but I'd forgotten they have the red shirt now.  So whatever.

Red 1 and Blue and Yellow 2 would be just fine with me.  Are MLS teams still banned from  having a 3rd kit?

Wasn't it something like you have to sell a certain amount of your jerseys to be able to get a 3rd one. I'm not sure if they changed that aspect of it or not.

Problem with having only a red one and a blue/yellow one is we need to have a lighter color scheme when teams want to wear their dark jerseys at home.

I don't see us bringing back that blue/yellow scheme for a long time, especially cause they like the whole NY is red slogan. They rarely wore that jersey anyway, they wore the whites every chance they could and now are doing the same with the reds so adding a 3rd jersey doesn't make much sense if they don't think it will sell.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Yes, I remember reading that you need to sell a certain amount of jerseys to be eligible for a 3rd kit. And we are not even close. Most MLS teams aren't. Plus, I'm not even sure if MLS allows 3rd kits anymore. Nobody has had one recently. 

It looks like the Red kit is out home kit going forward anyway.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

Wasn't it something like you have to sell a certain amount of your jerseys to be able to get a 3rd one. I'm not sure if they changed that aspect of it or not.

Problem with having only a red one and a blue/yellow one is we need to have a lighter color scheme when teams want to wear their dark jerseys at home.

I don't see us bringing back that blue/yellow scheme for a long time, especially cause they like the whole NY is red slogan. They rarely wore that jersey anyway, they wore the whites every chance they could and now are doing the same with the reds so adding a 3rd jersey doesn't make much sense if they don't think it will sell.

Seattle, Portland, and LA Galaxy have all had 3rd kits somewhat recently (2016 for the first 2,) but that was all I found (I didn't look all that hard TBH.)

I've always thought that 'you need a white/light kit' is a US sports thing, that doesn't seem to be the norm in soccer, or at least there are plenty of teams that have 2 different color shirts rather than light and dark (e.g. Leicester City has blue and then a dark gray as their 2nd kit, or in the past Liverpoop has had their standard red (which is darker than ours, plus a black or purple.)  Bayern Munich has also had seasons where they've done a red/blue home/away scheme, though those teams usually have 3rd kits they could use in a pinch.  Maybe you could call it 'bright' vs 'dark' but that's not entirely the same

Closer to home, Portland went with a red secondary shirt to their primary dark green for their first couple of seasons.  Houston had a black 2nd kit last year along with their standard Orange.  Looking at last year's kits there wouldn't have been an unresolvable color conflict with any team in the league if we'd had the Red primary and the Dark Blue/Yellow secondary. 

It's ultimately not all that important, maybe it's a result of having all the jerseys come from the same manufacturer, but there's definitely an ultra-conformist trend in MLS jerseys (so much that even successful schemes like Portland's Rose City Red, or our Blue/Yellows, or Seattle's Pacific Blue) tend to get replaced with lame rehashes of 'standard color with white highlights' and 'reverse white/light version with standard color highlights' (and not just here but around the league.)

I found an old article announcing the 2016 blue/yellow jersey, which talked about how they integrated  'New York is Red' elements into it.   

I could see not wanting blue because it's a color used by intracity rivals (even though we had it first,) but if that's a concern, grey is an especially bad choice, as boy city had a grey 'concrete jungle' 2nd kit last season. 

I'll have to see it first, but I liked those blue/yellow kits, right now I'm having a hard time envisioning how their standard white shirt with some grey on it is going to be an upgrade over those.

agh, when does the season start again, I'm putting way too much thought into this...

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Any team can have a third kit but Adidas will only pay for it after sales of its calendar year released kit reaches a certain amount.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
An all black uniform would be cool.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

We tried that in 1996. A was a bit too warm for it to work in the sun.

@CurseofCaricola

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Reminds me of DC too much so no thanks.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Really hated that blue/yellow kit until i saw it in person and its actually one on the better jerseys. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

2019 jersey to be released on Thursday.

Today's the day, I'm excited to see them at least.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
Nice.

https://twitter.com/...0535403520?s=19

@CurseofCaricola

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Nice.

https://twitter.com/...0535403520?s=19

That looks way better than I was expecting, I really like it. I'll definitely get one at some point.

I'm curious to see the full uniform with those colors.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

ugh it really is nice, but do i really want/need another jersey?? :wacko:

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

not bad - need to see in person

Sorta subdued urban camo with 2 bulls and a sun

The armpit lazer design really grew on me.

RED kit is my favorite 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

So is this the home shirt and the red is now away or whats the deal?

Really wish we just stuck with red home white away, everyone loved all red last year.

I kinda wish we just used the weird inverted image green that flashed inbetween 2/3 seconds.  Fuck it put me in charge and well have this.

Capture1.png

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
I think they are just gonna wear the reds as much as possible and only the grey ones when they have to just like they always wore the white ones as much as possible and only wore the blue/gold ones when they had to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users