51 replies to this topic

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

So I've seen a lot of debate recently about how this team responds to Cahill as a second striker vs. Cahill as a midfielder.  To try and get further clarity on where he works best, I took a look back at last year's fantastic run from mid August thru Oct form (so after BWP joined the fold). I think we all agree that was the best football we've seen from this club in recent memory

I have to say...it's pretty fucking clear where Cahill belongs.   Last year we were nothing short of dominant in games where he started as a second striker and Peguy played that trequartista role (or they interchanged).  I'm starting to shift blame from the roster itself to the coaching staff after viewing these stats....

8/10 @ clb (0-2 L): DNP

8/17 vs. PHL (0-0): CM

8/25 @ CUSA (2-3 L): CM

8/31 vs. Scum (2-1 W): M/F (4-4-1-1, Cahill as the second striker)

9/8 @ HOU (4-1 W): Did not play

9/14 vs. TFC (2-0 W): Did not play

9/22: vs. FCD (1-0 W): CM

9/28 @ Seattle (1-1): M/F (formation 4-4-1-1)

10/5 vs. NE (2-2): CM 

10/20 @ HOU (3-0 W): M/F (formation 4-4-1-1, Cahill as second striker with Peguy as trequartista)

10/27: vs. CHI (5-2 W): M/F (same as Houston)

Cahill as second striker: 3-0-1, we scored 11 goals and conceded 4....a whopping +7 GD

Cahill as midfielder: 1-1-2: GD (0), 5 scored, 5 against)

Cahill DNP: 2-1-0, GD +3

I don't think it's a coincidence that our record is 5-6-9 this year and we've spent a large portion of it either forcing Cahill to play the CM position or playing without him at all due to injury/international call up.  When I look at this team and when it looked most deadly last season, we had Peguy as the trequartista and a forward tandem of Cahill and Henry.  BWP was brought in for spells and it seemed to work to our advantage.

I understand that people love BWP's goal scoring prowess.  But, if this comes at the expense of poor midfield play and leaking goals...why not  try something a bit different?  Go back to the formation that worked last year, just throw Alexander out left.  We're not getting the results as it stands currently.  What's the harm in putting Cahill up top for 60 minutes and bringing BWP as a super sub and dropping Cahill back into the midfield for the final 30 minutes if Peguy is gassed?

#RedBullOut

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Cahill scored on set pieces and corners last year, as well. This season, the corner kicks and free kicks have been absolute shit. Almost no good deliveries, most don't beat the first defender. So that may have something to do with it. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

... What's the harm in putting Cahill up top for 60 minutes and bringing BWP as a super sub and dropping Cahill back into the midfield for the final 30 minutes if Peguy is gassed?

Makes almost too much sense, especially if you can use turf/rest/etc. as opportunities to give BWP the occassional 90 minute game.   Though this all depends on Dax being at his best.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

Makes almost too much sense, especially if you can use turf/rest/etc. as opportunities to give BWP the occassional 90 minute game.   Though this all depends on Dax being at his best.

Crazy how we haven't found a backup for him. Sekagya can fill in (although maybe he's needed at CB) and Christianson is a complete bust due to injuries. 

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

Joe x Joe

Joe x Joe

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I wish Petke would just try something different. The midfield has been absolute shit all year and needs to be changed. Dax, Cahill and Alexander have all be trash, we're a much better team Peguy starting in the middle. Unfortunately I don't see Petke sitting BWP for Cahill and afraid we'll continue seeing Alexander on the left.

What I still don't get with this team is how nobody shoots the ball unless they are inside the box. I just don't get it.

This really is a poorly constructed team and  sadly it doesn't look like any help is on the way.

Shoot the Bull

Shoot the Bull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Interests:RBNY
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

What about benching Dax, and having Cahill handle CDM duties with Peggy as the CAM? Cahill would be on the field for set pieces, can be moved up front in a sub situation if more of his aerial prowess is needed, either during a match or to start.

How is Petke gonna relegate the MLS Golden Boot leader to a sub role?

I agree its square peg in round hole, but unless we want to loan Timmy out to an EPL team, you cant bench him.

Proud supporter and STH of RBNY - In it through thick and thin.

Forza Metro! We love ya. Oh, and Fuck DC scum.

twitter: @mromilio

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I think that study is kind of incomplete.

We had a ton of stretches earlier in the season where Cahill played at midfield and clearly we won many of those games.   Whether it was BWP or Espindola playing up top doesn't matter.  Cahill has proven to be a solid midfield player.   I'm not a huge fan of him up top because he doesn't gain much space for guys like Henry and he obviously doesn't create much on his own.  At midfield, he's pretty solid defensive and works hard.  It's just not working right now and it doesn't help that Dax sucks.

Accepting for a moment that it may be worth having Cahill as a forward, I simply CANNOT advocate removing a forward who scores so many damn goals.  And we obviously can't take out Henry because it seems like any legitimate scoring chance we develop is due to him.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

I wish Petke would just try something different. The midfield has been absolute shit all year and needs to be changed. Dax, Cahill and Alexander have all be trash, we're a much better team Peguy starting in the middle. Unfortunately I don't see Petke sitting BWP for Cahill and afraid we'll continue seeing Alexander on the left.

What I still don't get with this team is how nobody shoots the ball unless they are inside the box. I just don't get it.

This really is a poorly constructed team and  sadly it doesn't look like any help is on the way.

Shooting from outside the box would be nice, but doesn't have anthing to do with our problems

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

What about benching Dax, and having Cahill handle CDM duties with Peggy as the CAM? Cahill would be on the field for set pieces, can be moved up front in a sub situation if more of his aerial prowess is needed, either during a match or to start.

How is Petke gonna relegate the MLS Golden Boot leader to a sub role?

I agree its square peg in round hole, but unless we want to loan Timmy out to an EPL team, you cant bench him.

Dax needs to play his way back into form...

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Shoting from outside the box would be nice, but doesn't have anthing to do with our problems

Agree... 

We score goals.  That's all that matters from that perspective.

WHere we are not good is maintaining possession through passing and simple defending.

metro bomaye!

metro bomaye!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Supports:METRO | Betis

Accepting for a moment that it may be worth having Cahill as a forward, I simply CANNOT advocate removing a forward who scores so many damn goals.  And we obviously can't take out Henry because it seems like any legitimate scoring chance we develop is due to him.

I agree...and that's the real issue: Henry has to be on the field and BWP has to be on the field, but Cahill is at his best when he's near the frontline too. It's a tough mix of talents to integrate. Maybe trying a 4-3-2-1 could solve it?

----------------------BWP

---------------Henry-----Cahill

Alexander-------Dax/Seka---------Sam

Both Henry and Cahill could drift back into the midfield when needed.

Red Bull Out

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

I agree...and that's the real issue: Henry has to be on the field and BWP has to be on the field, but Cahill is at his best when he's near the frontline too. It's a tough mix of talents to integrate. Maybe trying a 4-3-2-1 could solve it?

----------------------BWP

---------------Henry-----Cahill

Alexander-------Dax/Seka---------Sam

Both Henry and Cahill could drift back into the midfield when needed.

We can all put 100% lineups out there, but every one will have either Sam, Henry, Cahill, or BWP out of position. 

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Why not:

Henry BWP

-----Cahill

Peguy-Dax- Sam

Miller - Olave - Seka - Duvall

Peguy can play creator from the left. Gets our best/hottest players on the field.  Granted doesn't put TImmy close to goal.

Sub - Oyongo for Peguy at when he is gassed. 

Alexander - Can go wherever we need him - CDM or RM or even LM if needed.

More important then lineups is:

- fixing team mentality that mediocre play is ok

- solidiying the defense

- Dax and Cahill back to form

- Subs that come in before the 80th minute

-Making the playoffs

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

The goals against figure looks better if you take away some of the BS penalty calls against us. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Why not:

Henry BWP

-----Cahill

Peguy-Dax- Sam

Miller - Olave - Seka - Duvall

Peguy can play creator from the left. Gets our best/hottest players on the field.  Granted doesn't put TImmy close to goal.

Sub - Oyongo for Peguy at when he is gassed. 

Alexander - Can go wherever we need him - CDM or RM or even LM if needed.

More important then lineups is:

- fixing team mentality that mediocre play is ok

- solidiying the defense

- Dax and Cahill back to form

- Subs that come in before the 80th minute

-Making the playoffs

"Solidifying the defense" and "making he playoffs" can only be done wit the right lineup.  Having Peggy out wide doesn't fix the one problem we need to fix - possession and distribution up the middle, which is a big reason for our defensive nightmares.  Our wide play is pretty good, and will get even better with Miller back.   I don't agree that we have a poor team mentality, and Cahill's form is fine.   If Dax is really healthy, he'll quickly play his way back nto form.   And Mike doesn't really ave a lot of viable options off the bench, unless you susbscribe to the belief that a girl scout with fresh legs in the 60th minute is still better than nothing...

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users