Why can't we just buy a team like LAFC & Atlanta?!

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I think a similar narrative also took place with this club in 2017, with Marsch at the helm. This team is on pace to post a very similar point total, goal differential, and place in the table as the 2017 club, with the same general attitude surrounding it. I do not think the problem with this club is as simple as the coach. 

2017 was a bit a fluke though going by expected goal differential.  Even that year we were near the top of the league.  This year we are right in the middle.  Even the eye test tells people that.  We just haven't been playing well for the most part.  Even in the games we win.  Funny enough our best game this season just happened to be when Marsch was at the game too and spoke to the team beforehand.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

yeah Armas' bungling is only part of the problem here. and I don't understand ppl clamoring for Marsch to come back, fully remembering what it was like when he screwed up. and we need a Sporting Director who can close more than just HGs and reserve team players. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls
We are a farm team that once youngsters develop, we sell the, off. Pitiful.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
I am okay with our current approach to team building. We have an identity and a consistent roster that keeps winning. History has shown that buying your way with expensive players does not guarantee success. LA Galaxy, Toronto, DC United, Montreal and past RBNY teams are prime examples.

The only thing i am annoyed abt is that we didnt find RB. The team is built to create upsets if the D can hold it together.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

We are a farm team that once youngsters develop, we sell the, off. Pitiful.

Yes, thats what MLS is currently.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

I am okay with our current approach to team building. We have an identity and a consistent roster that keeps winning. History has shown that buying your way with expensive players does not guarantee success. LA Galaxy, Toronto, DC United, Montreal and past RBNY teams are prime examples.

The only thing i am annoyed abt is that we didnt find RB. The team is built to create upsets if the D can hold it together.

The Galaxy won 3 MLS cups and some shields during their big spending period, I really don't think they fit in that category. Toronto also won a shield and MLS Cup so while it didnt work every year for them it definitely did in 2017 and they only lost MLS Cup because of PKs in 2016 so they don't fit either for me. They also made the champions league final.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

The Galaxy won 3 MLS cups and some shields during their big spending period, I really don't think they fit in that category. Toronto also won a shield and MLS Cup so while it didnt work every year for them it definitely did in 2017 and they only lost MLS Cup because of PKs in 2016 so they don't fit either for me. They also made the champions league final.

Yup. And further, Atlanta spent right out of the gate. Already have an MLS Cup and potentially (probably) Open Cup under their belts. LAFC spent right out of the gate, theyll have a Shield and possibly more to show for it. And there are plenty of examples of teams that have spent, where it hasnt paid off. The point being, theres not a direct correlation between spending big and being unsuccessful. Spending money in your team and infrastructure is generally a good thing, when done wisely, as it is in any business. We built a good infrastructure and have been in perfect position to successfully integrate a high price tag transfer and have, sadly, squandered the opportunity.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

They also have missed the playoffs.

There is no guarantee that you will win if you spend $$.

What is 100% accurate is that if you have a system you will win in MLS.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

I'll gladly trade missing the playoffs for a year for a year of winning the double with a shield and MLS Cup and making the champions league final.

Sure beats getting knocked out every year in heart breaking fashion before even making the final.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Systems don't mean anything if the roster doesn't have the talent.

You have to spend to win. It's like that here and in every other league around the world.

Watch LAFC or Atlanta win MLS Cup this year. Neither of those teams have great academies like Red Bull or develop players of the course of several seasons. They spend to bring in talent and win titles as a result.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

Systems don't mean anything if the roster doesn't have the talent.

You have to spend to win. It's like that here and in every other league around the world.

Watch LAFC or Atlanta win MLS Cup this year. Neither of those teams have great academies like Red Bull or develop players of the course of several seasons. They spend to bring in talent and win titles as a result.

And what championships did LAFC win?

You cant say that rbny is lucky because of their geographic location to obtain academy players. To have a good academy, the team has to make player development a priority. Atlanta have some really good young American players that are rotting in the bench. At least rbny gives the American player a chance to do well and develop.

Folks should stop being cry babies. We have a consistent winning team. Could they do better sure but to say they haven't done anything is ridiculous. If you have been a fan of this club, you already lived through the matheus era, Cahill and marquez era, edmundo and branco era...ect ect. We dont need player drama.

robs0650

robs0650

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Red Bulls II, Manu

We should take pride in the fact that our players go on to bigger things. Ralf Rangnick's new position at Red Bull is specifically to improve the youth development of New York (and Brazil), and to be honest, most of our MLS clubs aren't doing much for the American player other than fill their bench's with them. I'm a fan of the US national team as well as Metro. 2 birds, one stone.

Jesse Marsch is more an exception than the rule I'm sure, and the fact that an American coach who never played in Europe is now coaching a Champions League team, and one that is having best start to the Austrian league season of any Austrian team in history, is also something I'm proud of, and also something that will work out well for the NT in the future.

What we haven't seen yet, which hopefully will happen, is that our alumni will start coming back after their time in Europe is done to provide mentor-ship for the younger players. Maybe Tim Ream will come back, Tyler Adams and Matt Miazga down the line. It's how it's done in Brazil and Argentina, and I see nothing wrong with that.

Ream just signed a 2 yr contract extension with Fulham.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

You cant say that rbny is lucky because of their geographic location to obtain academy players. To have a good academy, the team has to make player development a priority. Atlanta have some really good young American players that are rotting in the bench. At least rbny gives the American player a chance to do well and develop.

Folks should stop being cry babies. We have a consistent winning team. Could they do better sure but to say they haven't done anything is ridiculous. If you have been a fan of this club, you already lived through the matheus era, Cahill and marquez era, edmundo and branco era...ect ect. We dont need player drama.

LAFC is going to win the shield in their second year of existence, with this playoff format they are setting themselves up to have the best chance to win MLS Cup since they won't have to go on the road and they qualified for champions league.... In their second year of existing.

I'm all for team usa doing well but this is my club team, I don't care what country our guys are from as long as they play well.

Cahill also gets a bad rep but he was great for us when he was here and helped us win our first shield. It was only after he left that he became an ass with the attendance comments and wearing the nycfc jersey. It's a shame he couldn't convert that play in New England that would have sent us to the final but he absolutely does not belong in the same bad category as that shit bag Rafa.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Ream just signed a 2 yr contract extension with Fulham.

Headline differs from story.
Did Fulham simply activate his extension?
https://www.bbc.com/...otball/49453017
https://www.starsand...tract-extension

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

LAFC is in the midst of the most successful season of any team in league history, with its marquee player having the best season of any player in league history.

Regardless of whether they win MLS Cup this year, they are positioned better than Red Bulls in the near future to go all the way.

But hey, I guess I'm being a crybaby, so I shouldn't point that out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users