• 19,799 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Klimala

Morgan-Wiki-Omir

CCJ-Dru

Tolkin-Nealis-Long-Edwards

???

Yikes.

That's got  solid squeek-inti-the-playoffs written all over it, assuming everyone has a career year and no one gets hurt or needs a rest

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I have no idea why people keep writing Cassares into a defensive midfield spot despite the fact that Struber has played him almost exclusively as a shuttler. I'd bet everything on Amaya taking that spot until we transfer a destroyer in (preferably before the fucking season starts). 

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

I have no idea why people keep writing Cassares into a defensive midfield spot despite the fact that Struber has played him almost exclusively as a shuttler. I'd bet everything on Amaya taking that spot until we transfer a destroyer in (preferably before the fucking season starts). 

Morgan-Klimala

-------Wiki

---Dru----CCJ

-----Amaya

???

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Because we are lacking at defensive midfield... njdevils is filling the spots with bodies on the roster. Hopefully Amaya is more comfortable this year, but based on last year, CCJ gets a spot as a 6 over Amaya for me.   

Ideal? No. But illustrates the issues with the roster right now and the holes that currently exist that Thelwell has to hit on either through year 2 quality progression (e.g. Amaya, Harper...) or new acquisitions. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Because we are lacking at defensive midfield... njdevils is filling the spots with bodies on the roster. Hopefully Amaya is more comfortable this year, but based on last year, CCJ gets a spot as a 6 over Amaya for me.   

Ideal? No. But illustrates the issues with the roster right now and the holes that currently exist that Thelwell has to hit on either through year 2 quality progression (e.g. Amaya, Harper...) or new acquisitions. 

We'll see what it is but I find it far more likely that they put the guy who succeeded as a dmid in Cincinnati there over taking away one of their best offensive weapons so he can play a position he's barely touched under Struber.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,799 posts

When Yearwood wasn't there,  CCJ played next to Davis a bunch, and there is a general lack of confidence in Amaya.  That said, positionally, Amaya is the closer fit.   

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

When Yearwood wasn't there,  CCJ played next to Davis a bunch, and there is a general lack of confidence in Amaya.  That said, positionally, Amaya is the closer fit.   

And CCJ sucked at it, honestly. I see the argument but I think moving around a bunch of different players creates more problems than would be solved by sticking Amaya there and seeing what you get short-term.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
Why would they magically slot Amaya into the starting 11 when he barely got any minutes last year? In our two man central midfield both players are expected to attack and defend, CCJ playing next to Yearwood is more likely than Amaya magically making the jump from 0 mins/game to starter overnight

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Why would they magically slot Amaya into the starting 11 when he barely got any minutes last year? In our two man central midfield both players are expected to attack and defend, CCJ playing next to Yearwood is more likely than Amaya magically making the jump from 0 mins/game to starter overnight

If Coronel got hurt do you think they'd put Omir at GK rather than Meara because of minutes from last season?

That's an intentionally absurd comparison but the point is that minutes from last season doesn't really indicate who is actually better suited for a position. Amaya also only just turned 21.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,799 posts

Because by the time they gave up on him as an attacking player, Yearwood was healthy and there were no minutes to be had.    I'd be surprised if Amaya's pre-season minutes are not as a holding mid.  It's much more his natural position.   That said, I'd be very surprised if he's more than a minimally serviceable replacement for Davis.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

We'll see what it is but I find it far more likely that they put the guy who succeeded as a dmid in Cincinnati there over taking away one of their best offensive weapons so he can play a position he's barely touched under Struber.

Did Amaya ever actually play dmid in Cincy? I never watched any of their games. I know people like Doyle say they see potential for him there, but I had the impression he only logged minutes further up field.

He never once played dmid for us at least, exclusively #8, #10, or bench. CCJ has played there under previous coaches, he'd be my choice as the second dmid with today's roster.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Did Amaya ever actually play dmid in Cincy? I never watched any of their games. I know people like Doyle say they see potential for him there, but I had the impression he only logged minutes further up field.

He never once played dmid for us at least, exclusively #8, #10, or bench. CCJ has played there under previous coaches, he'd be my choice as the second dmid with today's roster.

He played a decent amount of 8 but the big reason why he wanted out of Cincinnati (aside from the fact that the team was a dumpster fire) was because they wouldn't play him as a 10 and he wanted that opportunity. 

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

3 times according to Transfermarkt, so no, not really.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Klimala

Morgan-Wiki-Omir

CCJ-Dru

Tolkin-Nealis-Long-Edwards

???

Yikes.

Edwards is not here yet, he is not a lock to be back. Even if he does get loaned out again, he is hurt, and may not be back in the starting line up until at least April, maybe later. So, thus far we have:

Klimala

Morgan-Wiki-Omir

CCJ-Dru

Tolkin-Nealis-Long-Nealis

Pretty fucking brutal. And what happens when Klimala, Omir, Wiki, Tolkin have off games, which happened quite frequently last year? Or if Yearwood or our CBs get nicked up. CCJ on international duty. Or Dylan Nealis sucks. All of these things happened last year on multiple occasions. Thankfully we had some depth to address that last year, and still barely made play-offs. Now starting line up is much worse and depth is gone. Brutal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users