Bklynfootballer

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA
A local bloke and his take...

https://youtu.be/rRc-g8YfGcQ

Maybe it's because I've been an MLS fan since middle school and had been subjected to Europoseurs shitting on the league for so long, but it's so surreal to me hear fans a level away from the Premier League saying things like NY Red Bulls are a "massive club". And I know that players/managers say that stuff all the time, but what else are they going to say when they join the team? It's weird to me to hear supporters of these clubs saying that.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

A local bloke and his take...

https://youtu.be/rRc-g8YfGcQ

Maybe it's because I've been an MLS fan since middle school and had been subjected to Europoseurs shitting on the league for so long, but it's so surreal to me hear fans a level away from the Premier League saying things like NY Red Bulls are a "massive club". And I know that players/managers say that stuff all the time, but what else are they going to say when they join the team? It's weird to me to hear supporters of these clubs saying that.

If I had to guess, most Europeans probably still think of us as the Red Bulls who had Thierry Henry, Tim Cahill, Marquez ect. And it's New York....I don't think many know about the change in direction the last 5 years, lack of spending, and tarping off half the stadium. At least we have a good reputation over seas....

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

If I had to guess, most Europeans probably still think of us as the Red Bulls who had Thierry Henry, Tim Cahill, Marquez ect. And it's New York....I don't think many know about the change in direction the last 5 years, lack of spending, and tarping off half the stadium. At least we have a good reputation over seas....

Or that it's Jersey.

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

I've had more people ask me about the Red Bulls in London than I have in Brooklyn.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I heard him to say it was a massive opportunity - maybe I missed him calling us a massive club.  Internationally, we get a huge halo effect from the bigger clubs.  We get a very positive reputation by association.    Red Bull global soccer brand + New York City = Big Club (perception of)

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I heard him to say it was a massive opportunity - maybe I missed him calling us a massive club.  Internationally, we get a huge halo effect from the bigger clubs.  We get a very positive reputation by association.    Red Bull global soccer brand + New York City = Big Club

That and he seemed to simply be referring to the opportunity to live in the NYC area, recognizing that Barnsley isn't exactly a world capital of culture.

Still though, a resounding review compared to what we likely would have seen 5-10 years ago where he would have spent all 6 minutes ranting about what a shit league MLS is.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

massive club. ... Big Club

RBNY is neither. We are a pimple on RBs ass.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

agree with the sentiment that due to association with RBL and RBS, the job is looked upon in a semi-positive light. if struber was the HC/Mgr at a Championship team in or near London, i think it'd be different. we are a semi-low rung on a ladder to Europe's bigger teams/competitions. we are def the Freshman team, while RBS and RBL are varsity. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Massive TARP club

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

agree with the sentiment that due to association with RBL and RBS, the job is looked upon in a semi-positive light. if struber was the HC/Mgr at a Championship team in or near London, i think it'd be different. we are a semi-low rung on a ladder to Europe's bigger teams/competitions. we are def the Freshman team, while RBS and RBL are varsity. 

Yes, but for many, the perception (at least) is that we are the freshman team for Notre Dame, not the Freshman team for Rutgers.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Bklynfootballer

Bklynfootballer

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Still though, a resounding review compared to what we likely would have seen 5-10 years ago where he would have spent all 6 minutes ranting about what a shit league MLS is.

Yeah,this is essentially what I was feeling.

Bklynfootballer

Bklynfootballer

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

I heard him to say it was a massive opportunity - maybe I missed him calling us a massive club.  Internationally, we get a huge halo effect from the bigger clubs.  We get a very positive reputation by association.    Red Bull global soccer brand + New York City = Big Club

You're right, I listened again. The point is generally the same though, it wasn't (or it feels like it wasn't) that long ago where a move to MLS was met with ridicule. Not saying I need validation to support my team, just making an observation of how far we've come.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

No one in MLS is a massive club. Maybe America or Tigres or Chivas in north america.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
No.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

RBNY is neither. We are a pimple on RBs ass.

That might be changing.. 2M+ for a coach. Cant spend that and not get big players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users