Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

Is he trying to run this team into the ground? I get that sometimes you don't have the necessary tactical options on the bench, but he recently complained about fatigue and still refuses to use his full substitution allotment. 

I know that Hans Backe is the greatest coach of all time, but that doesn't mean one has to emulate everything he does and ever did.

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Our bench sucks 

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

Our bench sucks 

another Hans quote/excuse

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

matador

matador

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  • Supports:metro, USMNT

Definitely frustrating that he picks up the most annoying and inexplicable aspect of Backe's coaching.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Our bench sucks 

Alexander will be on the bench next week. Expect a half time sub.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

another Hans quote/excuse

I'm as frustrated with the lack of subs as you are. I'm not making excuses, it's just a statement of fact. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Our bench sucks 

So does most of the starters playing every week too.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I don't know whom you want him to put in. Think about how dysfunctional this team looks as is. Now imagine this team with Bustamante on the field instead of Cahill or Dax. Or anyone instead of Henry for more than 10 minutes. What Backe did isn't comparable. He'd let Agudelo rot on the bench while Mehdi Ballouchy was fucking around as delayed striker. 

It's a no-win position. Make subs and inevitably you're going to drop points, and that's going to lead to criticism of Petke. Don't make the subs, and your team is fatigued. I don't really know what the answer is other than to ride it out, try to make a move before the transfer window closes, and do a better job of balancing the depth chart next year.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

not sure who you want on the field. akpan, kimura? they should be in the USL not MLS.  

Maybe Bustamante but are you going to take out Dax or Cahill for him?

the rest are too offensive when we are trying to finish the game and get a point. 

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

What we are bound to see if some reserve heavy sides in CCL unfortunately. 

I'd really like to see some more roster rotation if we aren't gonna see subs, since Petke doesn't want to disrupt the game. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

not sure who you want on the field. akpan, kimura? they should be in the USL not MLS.  

Maybe Bustamante but are you going to take out Dax or Cahill for him?

the rest are too offensive when we are trying to finish the game and get a point. 

If BWP is too tired to chase down clearances when we're bunkering then it doesn't matter who is behind him, so long as they have functioning legs they're a better option.  If Henry still doesn't want to defend when we're bunkering, then either Peguy or Bustamante are a better option.  

There were moves to be made tonight for Petke, if he keeps these substitution patterns up through September we aren't going to have a team left for the playoffs.  Henry already had to come off with a nagging injury tonight, and had to play almost 5 whole minutes after literally asking to be subbed!

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

I don't know whom you want him to put in. Think about how dysfunctional this team looks as is. Now imagine this team with Bustamante on the field instead of Cahill or Dax. Or anyone instead of Henry for more than 10 minutes. What Backe did isn't comparable. He'd let Agudelo rot on the bench while Mehdi Ballouchy was fucking around as delayed striker. 

It's a no-win position. Make subs and inevitably you're going to drop points, and that's going to lead to criticism of Petke. Don't make the subs, and your team is fatigued. I don't really know what the answer is other than to ride it out, try to make a move before the transfer window closes, and do a better job of balancing the depth chart next year.

I think the team fatigue will lead to more dropped points over the course of a season than bad substitutions will.  How many times do we talk about a game and talk about how the players "came out flat?"  That's a result of fatigue, and it happens like, twice a month.

letaureaurouge

letaureaurouge

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Peguy is a better option in the middle than Cahill, if you're looking to hold the ball or connect passes. He's just not as good in the air, where Cahill is like an extra center back when defending set pieces.

Akpan might have made RSL think twice about giving us room on the flanks, since they were quite comfortable keeping BWP away from anything in the air. Hell, could have thrown in Miazga and played five at the back or bumped Sekagya into midfield to let Cahill play up top.

There are always options. Petke seems frozen when the result is close. He knows what to do if we're winning easily, and he knows how to throw everything at the game if we're losing. But seems to me he gets stuck when games are tight. 

Bottom line seems to be he just doesn't trust most of the guys he has on the bench. What's odd is how zero-sum he is: guys are either starters or they're nothing. Very little in between.

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

Peguy should be in at 60th minute vs @RSL.  Oh well.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
I noticed the title of this thread.

I have been watching the transfer window news. I have been watching how big clubs are stacking their rosters and sometimes I'm thinking who will start they got depth but it can cause problems.

I think Petke needs to push for at least 3 more signings that are good enough to start. Having 14 starters works. Not all 14 or 15 will be at their best at the same time.

I think Metro need a real d mid. Dax is great as a central mid. Dax hustles but is a converted CAM into a CM that's awesome, but Metro need a dmid to close the game.

It also needs a left mid or left wing back. A starter caliber CB and CAM should help too. Playoffs are coming. (Game of thrones tone about winter is coming)
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users