274 replies to this topic

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

hows Kaku knee? 

Looked bad - I would say LCL /MCL sprain 4-6 weeks.  that was rough. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,381 posts

hows Kaku knee? 

Looked bad - I would say LCL /MCL sprain 4-6 weeks.  that was rough. 

I wish I had video because I could just tweet it to that doctor guy.  He's almost always right.  Because the direction the knee went though I was thinking MCL as well.  Much better to hurt than the ACL.

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Is Kaku the answer? Maybe it's best to sell and try another route... just no more wasted money on Danish wunderkinds.

The acquisition of Jorgensen in and of itself was not a bad thing - in fact, I'd argue it's a great thing. It's just him being the only acquisition that's the problem. 

If Red Bull is still the owner (spoiler alert: they will be), I say we go all in on the Red Bull system. The average age for this years starters at Salzburg and Leipzig is about 23. The age of our starting lineup last night was about 26. The entire second half and AET was played in our half because we can no longer keep up the press for 90 minutes.

Let Red Bull's great international scouting staff find us some young talent that aren't ready to feed to the big club and give them to us to get some quality minutes.

For coach, I say hire Robert Klauss. He is a 34 y/o assistant manager for RB Leipzig and has already managed at their youth, U-17 and U-19 levels.

Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but at least it should be entertaining.

This is what I've been getting at elsewhere. If we are going to be a feeder club, we should at least be enjoying the benefits of being such. All we are doing is getting fucked whenever a miracle happens and we produce an Adams. 

---------------

There has been a lot of sadness and desperation over the years with this team- but I think year/off-season matches any of those times for me. In the past, at least I saw a path towards us being relevant in the league. For Metro - that was always tied to this league being whacky and having near complete parity. For RBNY - that was always a part of it too. But part of that had to do with investment. And some of it had to do with the academy being miles ahead.

None of those things are true anymore.  

Something has to change. In fact, a lot has to change. My only hope is that it's noticed (surely it has to be?) and that they'll make fundamental changes to how this team is run. It could be the approach above, or perhaps they could see the success ATL is having both in the league and financially and copy that (doubtful). 

I'm not holding my breath and I sadly see a long, long season ahead in 2020. 

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
No more RBII scrubs as the marquee additions. They won't win the club anything.

hoofit

hoofit

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

If Red Bull is still the owner (spoiler alert: they will be), I say we go all in on the Red Bull system. The average age for this years starters at Salzburg and Leipzig is about 23. The age of our starting lineup last night was about 26. The entire second half and AET was played in our half because we can no longer keep up the press for 90 minutes.

Let Red Bull's great international scouting staff find us some young talent that aren't ready to feed to the big club and give them to us to get some quality minutes.

For coach, I say hire Robert Klauss. He is a 34 y/o assistant manager for RB Leipzig and has already managed at their youth, U-17 and U-19 levels.

Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but at least it should be entertaining.

A man with a plan.  I like it.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

No more RBII scrubs as the marquee additions. They won't win the club anything.

definately no cast offs who can't even make the NYCFC roster - RIGHT Grella_dihno?

Club needs to double triple down on youth - locally and brining in other players (just more CCJ than Jorgensen)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

This season was a complete and total failure in every single way.

Last year we had the best season in MLS history and came up short. So lets  look at what's happened since then...

Offseason:

OUT: Tyler Adams

IN: $2M transfer for a striker that played on RB2 the entire season, even when BWP AND BRIAN WHITE were hurt.

CCL: Don't make a run and get embarrassed By Santos

US Open Cup: Lose in the first round to a 10 man Revolution at home....Oh sorry, I mean at "Home"

Regular Season:

- 23 point decrease from last season

- Most defeats at home in RBA era

- No home playoff game for first time in RBA era

- 14-14-6 Record. +2 GD. Finished 12 of 24 teams. Almost perfectly mediocre

Mid Season Transfers:

- Wait until the last minute of deadline day to sign a loan of Josh Sims with no option to transfer. As soon as he has enough time to get acclimated to the team, he has already played his last game for the team.

Playoffs: Blow TWO 2 goal leads and lose in the first round to Philly who is not even that good.

Everyone single one of those categories is unacceptable.

ALSO....

- The ENTIRE back-line (least GA in MLS history last year) has completely blown up. Both as a whole, and each one of them individually.

- BWP's career is over

- Our best player Kaku has openly said he wants to leave the club

- Murillo went from being an All-Star to not even making the 18 in a playoff game and  "burning bridges that will never be able to fixed" (Or w/e the quote Dyer said was)

OH, and just to top it off - attendance is rapidly declining, so much so that half of our stadium is tarped off and there's still loads empty seats every game

We did not get unlucky. We did not get plagued with injuries. We were just bad. All year.

This feels like the end of an era for me. If ownership are going to follow the path of the last few years and rely on RB2 guys again, they wont get much return from us as fans. I'll still go to a game now and then. But I'm not gonna go out of my way to do it. If they actually want to try and compete, they will need to show that by using all 3 DP spots. And use them on young, talented players who can make a big difference. Guys like  Lodiero, Pozuelo, Gustavo Bou ect. If not, then really...whats the point? We aren't going to win anything, and it will look like a ghost town in Harrison next season.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

- No home playoff game for first time in RBA era

I agree with a lot of what you said but this one doesn't mean as much to me. This is the first year since RBA opened that they had single game eliminations the whole way through. If they had this format in previous years instead of 2 leg series we would have had a few other seasons at RBA with no home playoff games.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,006 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

we would have had a few other seasons at RBA with no home playoff games.

No free USOC or playoff game for STHs.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

N8ballz

N8ballz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Supports:metro

As others are saying something has to give here.  I agree they need to go all in on youth both locally and importing RB international.  But not this half-assed mess we have now with no direction and no help/talent from RB imports. Otherwise with how this is going, the brutal truth is that RB corporate is just letting this thing die. 

My scary crazy thought is that they just fold the team side and sell the stadium off to NYFC.  Not that MLS would let them but what say does MLS have in this.  Maybe that's why we see the bare minimum from RB because MLS won't let them do something like fold the team and sell off to NYFC.

And Olsen didn't turn DC into a bunch of whining, diving.. oh, nevermind

-MetroSquard

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,006 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

My scary crazy thought is that they just fold the team side and sell the stadium off to NYFC.

$300M expansion fee sets the floor for buying a team.
NYCFC wants a stadium in NYC, not Harrison.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,407 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

IMO, selling the 4 that want to transfer out is the biggest priority this offseason. Bigger than firing Hamlett/Armas. Reason being: all that GAM and the real money to be poured back into the team. Holding onto them for a yr too long is so fucking odd. Selling Murillo would've put legit $$ into the coffers to chase after a player that was 21-27 yrs old for the mid yr transfer window. I wasn't expecting sweet fuck all this transfer window, but Sims, imo, knocked it out of the park similar to that when Royer was bought. It'll be sad to see both Long and Taxi gone, but I've always thought that they'd want to use RBNY as a springboard to a bigger league and an even bigger payday. 

Kaku leaving would suck. He may go to Mexico, so sell him for big. If we can't, wouldn't mind him staying, but I'd think he'd prob prefer a loan to one of the Big5 in Buenos Aires.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

IMO, selling the 4 that want to transfer out is the biggest priority this offseason. Bigger than firing Hamlett/Armas. Reason being: all that GAM and the real money to be poured back into the team. Holding onto them for a yr too long is so fucking odd. Selling Murillo would've put legit $$ into the coffers to chase after a player that was 21-27 yrs old for the mid yr transfer window. I wasn't expecting sweet fuck all this transfer window, but Sims, imo, knocked it out of the park similar to that when Royer was bought. It'll be sad to see both Long and Taxi gone, but I've always thought that they'd want to use RBNY as a springboard to a bigger league and an even bigger payday. 

Kaku leaving would suck. He may go to Mexico, so sell him for big. If we can't, wouldn't mind him staying, but I'd think he'd prob prefer a loan to one of the Big5 in Buenos Aires.

Nothing is bigger than firing Hamlett imo.  But agree with what you are saying in general.  If the club is going to be optimized we need to turn it into a GAM factory.  Make good players selling them reinvest, repeat.  We have one of the wider scouting networks in the world at our disposal but we waste it.  We should take 18 months to have a right back, or a year to get a 6.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Selling them would be pointless since Red Bull would only bring in RBII scrubs to replace. They won't spend a dime on adding outside talent to the first team.

And Sims knocked it out of the park? No he didn't.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

I love BWP. And he is is an absolute legend. But his career here is over. It is time to move on. I don't see how you could think otherwise if you watched him this year. He's 35 years old. Father time is undefeated. Its really sad, but its true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users