• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,379 posts

I guess we can agree to disagree on that. From my viewpoint the decision to shoot and the execution were both bad. Also, notice how crappy that shape is though on attack at :52 - the whole play was to long ball it to Klimala, and then everyone is surprised he gets it. Even Klimala - he wins it, and then stands around. If Omir passes to Duncan far post (or through to duncan running to near post, a pass spliting the D), Klimala suddenly becomes key again to that play. 

yeah Omir stopped the ball dead and instead needed to open up and take into space while shielding the ball.  He gets into good positions and then is not able to execute pass or shot.  

Argh

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Supports:Metro

That clip at :52 sums up this year for me. Bad game tactics, bad individual decisions, and bad execution.... this team feels so far from competency. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,444 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

lf the defense is soo good. why did struber start 8 defensive minded players (Gutman, Nealis, Edwards, Duncan, Tolkin, Davis, Yearwood, Casseres). That does not show any confidence on the back line. this is a huge problem.  you are not going to create anything  with 8 defensive minded players.  

we are not scoring goals because of tactics. not talent.  there is waaaay too much hand holding on defense.

Could be because those are just the guys actually playing better at the moment. If Amaya and Harper were playing better than Yearwood and CCJ they'd start, but they weren't before getting put in the doghouse and I'd imagine nothing has changed in training since.

5 man backlines don't have to be inherently defensive either. Louis Van Gaal recently went off on a Dutch journalist trying to suggest this.

Formation and to an extent personnel aren't really the problem here. You can use whatever shape or players you want, if the coach doesn't tell them what to do with the ball it won't matter

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,711 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

....  Our defense is not strong enough to keep a clean sheet. If we sit back, teams will score.  

Our defense is not strong enough to keep a clean sheet, and our offense is not strong enough to score more than one goal in the run of play.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,767 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
As a Sabres fan Struber reminds me of another con man carny bullshit artist coach: Ralph Kreuger

Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,453 posts
  • Supports:Metro, NYRBII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
Marsch may be available soon. Struggling with Leipzig. Getting banged up by ManCity 3-1 at halftime.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

I will. I see it as basic a flaw as a foul throw-in.
Knee over ball. Shots ON goal.

Seconded. Dempsey. Cup. England. Put the ball on frame and good things happen.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,168 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

looking for the proper shot is also a bad habit.
sometimes you just need to let it rip..

I am OK with the decision to shoot.
I am frustrated with the mechanics of a shot that flies high or wide. I know that the window is small, and its better to shoot than hesitate, but would prefer to see the keeper tested than fans ducking in Row Z.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Still doesn't look like a genius: http://www.soccerpub...ic=50734&page=1

Terrible start in play-offs last year and downhill from there. Too bad real geniuses in RB invested too much in him to fire him. Honestly, Armas' tenure with the team doesn't look as bad now.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Armas' tenure with the team doesn't look as bad now.

It all looks like shit to me!

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,320 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
I think Struber aand Thelwell are linked... They have got to add a couple of proven attacking players. I don't think Wiki and Fabio and Klimala are cutting it and Cassares and Yearwood aren't a attacking players... They run forward but they can't be asked to generate offense because that's not in them...

At best this team can turn it around if they just press so hard that they win the ball constantly in the final third and eventually knock a couple in but then they have to hold the ball and kill the game off or park the bus...

Struber and Thelwell are to blame in this league the playoffs should be easy to make

I'd like to see a 3 4 2 1

When healthy It would suit Royer... And i think it would suit Amaya and wiki and Clark more to be central and closer to goal.. And let Fabio poach and if he falters then see shove the dp in there.. Or Barlow...

But if they can't start scoring more and holding on to leads, guys gotta go
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,444 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I'd like to see a 3 4 2 1

When healthy It would suit Royer... And i think it would suit Amaya and wiki and Clark more to be central and closer to goal.. And let Fabio poach and if he falters then see shove the dp in there.. Or Barlow...

This is pretty much what they did against Columbus, with a similar 4-3-2-1 against DC over the weekend. Spacing in the midfield was awful and the two attacking mids have been on an island. Klimala does actually look better as a lone striker so far though.

Agreed that it would work really well for Royer if he can get healthy and Struber can make some adjustments.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Klimala does actually look better as a lone striker so far though.

agreed he and Fabio get in each others way when paired together and Klimala can't really play the secondary striker role thats needed when you play next to a target man.  Fabio can move side to side to do that role either.  Also with all the CM mids healthy its time to move Tolkin back to left back.  Less about Gutman and more about us needing to evaluate what we have in the middle for next season. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,711 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

lol - guess we have different difinition of open.  He was open when the pass was made to him but didn't cleanly receive the ball and the defender got on him.  He made a nice touch to get through his legs but then was 20 yards out and skied it

There are a million ways that could have played out, but he's getting paid to make something happen there.     Sure, the pass was behind him.  But he had his head down, no awareness of the players around him, on his back heels, and panicked.     It was a desperation shot.    He had no confidence.    But confidence comes from being good, as much as people like to think its the other way around.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Throw in a few of those Miami type games, and I will apologize, but what does this mean?

Struber on finally facing NYC: "It's a very special week for our chest. Very interesting what we create.

Does chest mean confidence? He's always talking about chests.... I think Herr Struber may be a chest man.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users