56 replies to this topic

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Poor Reggie. He could have said: I have First Amendment rights and so do they. I do wish they would save the boos for when I concede a penalty.
Or: My family has a long history of being oppressed by our racist society. My grandfather was denied the Nobel Prize for Science. Oh, my bad, he was awarded the Nobel Prize! Or how my parents were denied admission to medical school because of their race. Oops, they both attended Ivy League medical schools and are physicians!

"If it bothers you, ignore it." 

ssalgnogniwehc

ssalgnogniwehc

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull New York

Poor Reggie. He could have said: I have First Amendment rights and so do they. I do wish they would save the boos for when I concede a penalty.
Or: My family has a long history of being oppressed by our racist society. My grandfather was denied the Nobel Prize for Science. Oh, my bad, he was awarded the Nobel Prize! Or how my parents were denied admission to medical school because of their race. Oops, they both attended Ivy League medical schools and are physicians!

Anecdotal evidence doesn't accurately reflect, nor does negate it, systemic bias.

For example, you are an asshole; however, that doesn't accurately depict the majority of people on these boards, who are decent people.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

So they can boo his right to kneel, but he has to play nice.  We couldn't the fans find another way to express their 1st Amendment rights?

Did Reggie say he or is family had been oppressed?  Because his life is great, he shouldn't stand up (or kneel down in this case) for others that have not been so lucky?  Or be disappointed that the people he tries to go out and win every game for, not only don't support the same cause, but boo the manner in which he's decided to express his rights?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

you are an asshole.

Fuck you, you fucking fuck!
Nothing anecdotal about this.
In case you misunderstood:
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Ap3SnLGsfM0

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

"If it bothers you, ignore it." 

Yet, you chose to respond.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

So they can boo his right to kneel, but he has to play nice.

Who said that?
He can kneel, they can boo, he can whine.

Did Reggie say he or is family had been oppressed?

He needs to check his privilege.

Because his life is great, he shouldn't stand up (or kneel down in this case) for others that have not been so lucky?

He can do whatever he wants. So can they.
Or, do you believe that they do not have 1A rights?

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

One players thoughts on how some fans chose to exercise their 1st Amendment rights:

https://www.mlssocce...-dallas-players

The anthem takes on a different meaning for everyone.

If Reggie wants to kneel, that's fine.

If fans want to boo because they don't like it and have another view of the anthem and what it represents, that's fine as well.

For him to say it's "disgusting" though -- he's completely missing the mark. Reggie Cannon doesn't get to decide what the anthem means for anyone but himself.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Who said that?
He can kneel, they can boo, he can whine.
He needs to check his privilege.

He can do whatever he wants. So can they.
Or, do you believe that they do not have 1A rights?

Sorry, since you were giving Reggie suggestions on what to say and not the fans, I thought maybe you thought his actions should change, but not theirs. Do you have suggestions for them?

And, I think he has checked his privilege. For a guy, like Reggie, that hasnt experienced much hardship in his life, wouldnt it have been easier to not call out booing fans? Hes got to back in front of them again soon, I doubt theyll be welcoming.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

The anthem takes on a different meaning for everyone.

If Reggie wants to kneel, that's fine.

If fans want to boo because they don't like it and have another view of the anthem and what it represents, that's fine as well.

For him to say it's "disgusting" though -- he's completely missing the mark. Reggie Cannon doesn't get to decide what the anthem means for anyone but himself.

I think you missed the mark. He wasnt trying to decide what the anthem should mean for anyone. He wasnt criticizing people that stood for the anthem, he was criticizing people that booed his kneeling, that booed how he chose to support BLM. He wasnt criticizing anyones feelings about the anthem.

In fact, it was the fans deciding for Reggie what the anthem should mean to him. They didnt like how he chose to listen to the anthem and let him know. And youre right, they shouldnt tell other people what the anthem means to them.

Good logic, you just had the parties reversed.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

since you were giving Reggie suggestions on what to say and not the fans, I thought maybe you thought his actions should change, but not theirs.

Nope. They should not boo their own team.

Do you have suggestions for them?

They could stand & sing the national anthem.

I think he has checked his privilege. For a guy, like Reggie, that hasnt experienced much hardship in his life, wouldnt it have been easier to not call out booing fans? Hes got to back in front of them again soon, I doubt theyll be welcoming.

To me, he is virtue signaling. Taylor Swifting.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Nope. They should not boo their own team.

They could stand & sing the national anthem.

No argument here.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Taylor Swifting.

I dont know what that is.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

I dont know what that is.

She is the queen of virtue signaling IMO.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

I think you missed the mark. He wasnt trying to decide what the anthem should mean for anyone. He wasnt criticizing people that stood for the anthem, he was criticizing people that booed his kneeling, that booed how he chose to support BLM. He wasnt criticizing anyones feelings about the anthem.

In fact, it was the fans deciding for Reggie what the anthem should mean to him. They didnt like how he chose to listen to the anthem and let him know. And youre right, they shouldnt tell other people what the anthem means to them.

Good logic, you just had the parties reversed.

Nope.

Reggie crying about the boos means he thinks his opinion is the end all be all when to comes to fan reactions to kneeling.

If he actually got it, he would say he understands why some people are upset with the kneeling. Instead he just thinks it's "disgusting" as if every fan should just fully throw their support behind his actions.

That's not how it works Reggie. It's a two-way street. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. He can kneel, they can boo. His response indicates he doesn't get the concept.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

She is the queen of virtue signaling IMO.

Ill take your word for it, Im not familiar with any of her stuff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users