Playoffs Poll: New England or DC?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: New England or DC? (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you rather NY stay in 4th in order to have a shot at playing DC or finish 3rd and go up against New England?

1. Finish 3rd, face New England (21 votes [55.26%])

Percentage of vote: 55.26%

2. Finish 4th, face Columbus and hopefully DC (17 votes [44.74%])

Percentage of vote: 44.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

MetroBullFanatic

MetroBullFanatic

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars,Red Bulls

Hello, I am a longtime lurker of Metrofanatic and STH of Metro/RedBull. Lately while thinking of our playoff scenarios I have been having a bit of a dilemma. Tonight, Philly guaranteed us that as long as we pick up 4 points in our final 2 games that we would finish 3rd. My problem is that finishing 3rd would guarantee us that we go up against New England who have been RED HOT for the last 8-10 weeks and have Lee Nguyen and Jermaine Jones on an absolute tear right now. Add on top of that the fact that we don't have a good history in Gillette and that is not such an appealing Conference Semi-Final opponent. In one way, I see DC United on the other hand as a team we can take care of. DC may have finished first, but in my opinion are less intimidating than New England and we have a better history in RFK. I personally believe our chances would be better against DC in the Conference Semi-Final. This leaves me with a dilemma. In order for NY to be able to play DC in the Conference Semi-Final I would need to root that we only finished 4th and not 3rd. This would in turn force us to host Columbus in a one game knockout that I imagine we would win, but I don't think many people want us in that situation. I haven't exactly decided what I would prefer, but I am just going to root for NY in the final 2 games and let what happens happen. However, I would like to know what your opinion is! How do you feel about this? Please feel free to vote in the poll or discuss below! Thanks everyone! 

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York
If you want to win- you gotta play em both.

DC has owned us, NE has owned us.

Whoever we play, we play. Fuck the odds- we owe both of them an ass-whoopin'.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Don't like either match up, but the bottom line is that the play-in round is another possible exit from the playoffs. There's no way the NE is that much scarier than DC that its worth risking a single elimination game to get to them.

Honestly, I'm more worried about DC anyway. They had our number this year, beat us twice and then it took us 93 minutes playing up a man to beat them at home. We beat NE both times this year, even if we got a little lucky at Gillette.

On a side note, why have we only played NE twice this regular season?  I thought the unbalanced schedule  had us playing each Eastern conference team 3 times.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Who the hell cares. Fuck them both.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
We have an old(ish) team w TH14, Cahill, Olave, Sekagya.

Fewer games the better- we looked tired vs Houston in the home game.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

We have an old(ish) team w TH14, Cahill, Olave, Sekagya.

Fewer games the better- we looked tired vs Houston in the home game.

Cahill couldn't even finish the second Houston game because of cramping.

RedBullsFanatic

RedBullsFanatic

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Supports:RBNY
I would rather not play the play in game so finishing third is better. That said, we will have to beat both teams anyway. Why play that extra game.

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

The way I see it...

Dammed if we do, dammed if we don't. Fuck it. And yes, I fully agree with Jamsion's first post. Besides, I think the odds are going to be on our side THIS time around. Whatever the opponent will be, bring it!

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

Telegraphed

Telegraphed

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Welcome to the board.

I voted for avoiding the play-in game. Our playoff performances have been absolutely unpredictable for the past several years. (Did anyone think we would win a play-in game at Dallas, or lose the series at home to SJ when we just needed to lose the leg by 1, or fall to a patchwork Anacostia SC team in the cold/snow?)

By finding the most palatable matchup on paper you're pretty much ensuring the least palatable result. Let's go with the quickest route, and dispatch our opponents as they come, no matter who they are.

RedBullsFC

RedBullsFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Supports:club: NYRB/////country: USA
Can we win a playoff home/away series please

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

I think NE is the best team in the East right now. Jermaine Jones is playing at a very high level.

I would rather take out Cows and DC

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

I still believe 2nd place is highly likely.

We beat Crew today, we beat SKC next week. Toronto beats New England. 

New England will finish second or third regardless of todays outcome or next week's outcome. If SKC beats us, and New England loses, they still finish second based on wins. If we win both games left and SKC loses to Toronto, they play us regardless. I don't see New England risking players with the playoffs and knowing they will be second or third regardless meaning their opponent stays the same. Toronto on the other hand, didn't make the playoffs and shelled out a ton of money on big name players. They will have their guys playing, even if it is in New England.

We finish second and get New England. SKC has been pretty poor, Columbus gets by them. Columbus has also played well against DC all year (2 draws and a win). 

We get Columbus in the Eastern Conference final. I'll take it.

2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts

If there's anything left of whatever you're smoking, I'll have some!

(just kidding).

I think we'll finish 3rd. SKC falls to fourth, beats the Crew, loses to DC. NY gets a draw at home, we spend one week wondering if Henry is going to play on turf, he does, we lose to NE anyway, same shit different year. TH14 walks into the tunnel, never to return. NE makes the final, loses to LA. Donovan retires with a Cup win. 

Though, I hope I'm wrong.

exaccardi

exaccardi

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I still believe 2nd place is highly likely.

We beat Crew today, we beat SKC next week. Toronto beats New England. 

New England will finish second or third regardless of todays outcome or next week's outcome. If SKC beats us, and New England loses, they still finish second based on wins. If we win both games left and SKC loses to Toronto, they play us regardless. I don't see New England risking players with the playoffs and knowing they will be second or third regardless meaning their opponent stays the same. Toronto on the other hand, didn't make the playoffs and shelled out a ton of money on big name players. They will have their guys playing, even if it is in New England.

We finish second and get New England. SKC has been pretty poor, Columbus gets by them. Columbus has also played well against DC all year (2 draws and a win). 

You're assuming we can win our third away game of the season - lezbeereel

devil500

devil500

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,633 posts
  • Interests:Engineering
  • Supports:Metro

I want to knock out both after all the suffering they've caused us. 

#RedBullOUT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users