242 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

We are 3 months away from the start of the season at best and likely it wont start until April imo so I dont get the rush

Literally every season we get a couple of guys right at the beginning of the season or mid-season, and they usually underperform, with the excuse being "they weren't here for the preseason"

Of course, there are much bigger reasons (errr, $$$$!) why our recent signings and overall performances have not been better, but controlling for the factors you can is the job description as a GM.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Most international transfer windows dont open until Jan 1., but some other MLS teams have already been active in acquiring players.

Who knows though, the team has a fairly significant amount of open roster spots and struggles to bring players in under normal circumstances.

The MLS CBA issues are another challenge, but Id imagine youd still want to build the roster and prepare for the season to go forward. The original plan was for training camps to open in late January.

The windows only apply for bringing players in.   Other leagues can sell players whenever they want.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Literally every season we get a couple of guys right at the beginning of the season or mid-season, and they usually underperform, with the excuse being "they weren't here for the preseason"

Of course, there are much bigger reasons (errr, $$$$!) why our recent signings and overall performances have not been better, but controlling for the factors you can is the job description as a GM.

Visa process + Covid quarantine is probably going to be a 4-5 week process. We also arent talking about signing 1 player, with 4 open international spots (potentially 5 if Kaku is sold) and a roster that needs top end talent, thats a lot of business to complete in 6-8 weeks.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The windows only apply for bringing players in.   Other leagues can sell players whenever they want.

Sure, but sales and purchases are connected... a player isn't superfluous until another guy is on the roster. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I'm not sure Red Bulls, even during their years of higher spending, have ever signed an international player before at least mid to late January. I wouldn't get too riled up just yet that its been quiet. If we're approaching February and its still radio silence, maybe sound the alarm bells then.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
I'm probably in the minority here but I want them to sign an aging Euro star like Diego Costa. You have to spend to win MLS Cup but even then it can be a toss up. At least give the fans a skill player that could do something cool at any moment. Henry and Cahill weren't the youngest but whenever you would watch those teams there was always a chance you would see something special from them.

If they go into the season again with White/Barlow up top plus a synergy signing and a few draft pick/RBII scrub signings then I'm just going to hibernate my fandom for the club until this penny pinching era is over. There's a lot of other better uses of my time than investing it in watching a feeder farm team that is making no effort toward progress.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I'm just going to hibernate my fandom for the club until this penny pinching era is over.

Could be quite a sleep!
Will you still post on MF??

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

I'm probably in the minority here but I want them to sign an aging Euro star like Diego Costa. You have to spend to win MLS Cup but even then it can be a toss up. At least give the fans a skill player that could do something cool at any moment. Henry and Cahill weren't the youngest but whenever you would watch those teams there was always a chance you would see something special from them.

If they go into the season again with White/Barlow up top plus a synergy signing and a few draft pick/RBII scrub signings then I'm just going to hibernate my fandom for the club until this penny pinching era is over. There's a lot of other better uses of my time than investing it in watching a feeder farm team that is making no effort toward progress.

I don't think anyone is against a 33yo who can make an impact - I think what you are referring to as majority opinion is a combination of hopeful desire and reasonable expectation.  It doesn't look like RB is interested in acquiring or keeping older players.

My desire, if I remove my rationale side, would definitely include more dudes like Angel/Henry/Cahill. Not sure about Costa with injuries, but in concept I am not personally against older players - red bull as an org is and, from a financial standpoint, it makes total sense. 

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
I would love Diego Costa but with his injury history he probably would not make a huge impact in MLS.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ

Well said...year after year, it feels like the people running this team are like college kids cramming the night before the exam

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Well in funny news, and further highlighting our focus on Europe, Kevin Thelwell is hosting a webinar for the European Football Agents Association on "Doing Business in the USA". 

link

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Well said...year after year, it feels like the people running this team are like college kids cramming the night before the exam

This feels true - and with the CBA and Covid it will be a cram regardless - but this year, with the addition of Thelwell and Struber, I feel like it is experts preparing a last minute presentation - rushed and imperfect, but they know what they are doing

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Could be quite a sleep!
Will you still post on MF??

I probably would but I don't post much anymore as is.

I just miss the teams that had exciting skill players, even on the level of Grella and Sam. Something fun to watch.

Hopefully Struber does better than Armas and gives the fans a more exciting product on the field.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Grella humiliating Lampard was memorable. Conversely, lotsa forgettable stuff these days from the current crop, thanks Hamlett. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Well in funny news, and further highlighting our focus on Europe, Kevin Thelwell is hosting a webinar for the European Football Agents Association on "Doing Business in the USA". 

link

This is good business marketing for player sales and acquisition. Would love to hear the talk (as it im sure totally relates to our plans) but not to the tune of $50. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users