117 replies to this topic

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

transfer is confirmed today now that Brentford's season ended.   He's a young DP but i dont think that is a big deal depending on other targets

https://www.newyorkr...er-dru-yearwood

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Quote from Armas, quote from Thelwell. No quote from Hamlett.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,627 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

transfer is confirmed today now that Brentford's season ended.   He's a young DP but i dont think that is a big deal depending on other targets

https://www.newyorkr...er-dru-yearwood

They very deliberately worded everything to avoid implying he's expected to make an immediate impact.      I can understand being cautious after the hype they  gave Matty Ice, but  a 7-figure international DP HAS to be expected to make an immediate impact.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund
  • Supports:MetroStars

He doesn't seem particularly excited... :unsure:

https://twitter.com/...042575481102336

https://twitter.com/...719373905231873

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

They very deliberately worded everything to avoid implying he's expected to make an immediate impact.      I can understand being cautious after the hype they  gave Matty Ice, but  a 7-figure international DP HAS to be expected to make an immediate impact.

my expectations:

rest of 2020: CM rotation starting ~50% of games and looking promising
2021: our best CM

Most signings let alone young DPs usually need half a season to get their bearings in MLS.  Brian Rodriquez only started looking good for LAFC now after coming over last summer.  secretly i hope hes only a DP for this season and they slide him under the U22 rule roster spots next year so we can sign another DP.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Um....I want to be excited. I really do. But....seriously? A midfielder who played in 2 league games in the Championship? Signed to a DP contract? What?

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYJ

He doesn't seem particularly excited... :unsure:

https://twitter.com/...042575481102336

https://twitter.com/...719373905231873

Hopefully that was more him being bummed that Brentford lost promotion to Fulham.

Idk what to make of him, but it is nice to see us doing something. I feel like I have to give Thelwell the benefit of the doubt when it comes to signing a prospect out of the Championship.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts

"I'm very excited to join the New York Red Bulls," Yearwood said. "I can't wait to get started and meet all my new teammates and some new fans, too, hopefully in the near future."

cue canned fan cheering.......

Excited - lets see 3 more signings

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Young DP caps his salary, not worried about designation. We just need talent.

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Not really, they are paying for potential not immediate impact.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Cant compare to Jørgensen, League One and even minimal Championship experience is a much higher level than the Danish reserve league.

I think its selling Dru short that he cant immediately see the field, especially when you consider the rest of this roster, lack of depth at CM, and the qualities he appears to possess that are different from Davis and CCJ

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
Meh.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts

A few years ago, people would have peed their pants over this signing. An English youth international for a top Championship club?

(OK, he barely played for that top club, but still.)

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

The highlight reel wasn't bad at all. He's just not a finisher. But then, iirc, neither was Royer. I like Yearwood's ability to pass, doesn't always seem that he's just playing a square ball laterally. Doesn't seem slow. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,447 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

A few years ago, people would have peed their pants over this signing. An English youth international for a top Championship club?

(OK, he barely played for that top club, but still.)

The bar's been raised, a few years ago other teams (from smaller markets no less) weren't regularly plunking down 5x the number we paid for Yearwood

Can't speak for others but Jorgensen also completely burned me out on the ~$2M teenage signings. I probably shouldn't let bust from a guy no longer trusted to make signings get to me, but can't shake it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users