314 replies to this topic

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

We looked every bit the part of a team that was poised for years of success with savvy investments, undermined by years-long lack of those investments. Imagine if slick ass Valot was combining with some top 20 MLS attacking talents. Instead down 2 we're not bringing on Etienne or better, it's Muyl. On a championship version of this team LEX from LES is a depth sub for shutting down and closing out wins.

Here's to what the new jefe can rebuild, while the league advances. From state of the art to run of the mill...and Backe* again?

*SPEND MONEY.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Noticed that ATL and CLB play the night before us.  So it's possible that we'll have secured at least 3rd already.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Noticed that ATL and CLB play the night before us.  So it's possible that we'll have secured at least 3rd already.

For us to finish 3rd, we must lose to Cincy. If we lose to Cincy, I'd rather not advance...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

We looked every bit the part of a team that was poised for years of success with savvy investments, undermined by years-long lack of those investments. Imagine if slick ass Valot was combining with some top 20 MLS attacking talents. Instead down 2 we're not bringing on Etienne or better, it's Muyl. On a championship version of this team LEX from LES is a depth sub for shutting down and closing out wins.

Here's to what the new jefe can rebuild, while the league advances. From state of the art to run of the mill...and Backe* again?

*SPEND MONEY.

And what's even more frustrating is that we had Sims at the start of the season to bring on. Now it is Muyl. Last year we were barely good enough to qualify for play-offs, lost in first round, and we actually downgraded talent by losing Sims, Murillo, and Lawrence. There were replaced with Pendant and Seagrist. Pendant seems like a solid defender, but not able to replace the offense at least so far that we got from Lawrence and Murillo in the past, and Seagrist is an absolute scrub. In the meantime Murillo is an impact player and a starters for top club in Belgium. It's remarkable how RB find ways to give away grate talent with nothing to replace them with.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

How badly is Jorgensen injured? Given absolute lack of production by White/Barlow I really want to see Jorgy get another shot. Sure, we were all disappointed by his lack of production last year, but to give him benefit of the doubt, he was only 18 at the time. Given the age, he might have actually improved, and did well for RBII last year by scoring 11 goals in 21 games (better than White with more games at much older age, when he was with RBII). So, there is a chance he is ready now. Barlow and White, who already reached their prime already proved they should not be on the field, while not all is lost on Jorgy.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

How badly is Jorgensen injured? Given absolute lack of production by White/Barlow I really want to see Jorgy get another shot. Sure, we were all disappointed by his lack of production last year, but to give him benefit of the doubt, he was only 18 at the time. Given the age, he might have actually improved, and did well for RBII last year by scoring 11 goals in 21 games (better than White with more games at much older age, when he was with RBII). So, there is a chance he is ready now. Barlow and White, who already reached their prime already proved they should not be on the field, while not all is lost on Jorgy.

All the options are underwhelming right now so we're desperate, but for me putting any hope in Jorgensen is blind hope. There is still an enormous gap in talent between USL and MLS. Brandon Allen tore USL up and couldn't cut it at the next level. Most of the people on this board who follow RB2 closely have said that despite decent numbers, Jorgensen did not pass the eye test and was just able to feast on terrible defenses that don't exist in MLS.

The last time we saw him with the big boys was this preseason and he looked just as bad as he did when he got first team minutes last year. I'd be thrilled to be wrong and see him make a huge jump, but I'm not banking on it.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

This. We are a team sorely in need of offensive help. I am not too upset about last night. First loss in four matches that count this season..we could be NYCFC. Losing to Columbus is nothing to be ashamed as I think they might be the best team in the East at the moment. Next week will be telling: if we cant get a result against Cincy sound the alarm. We really should expect a two goal margin of victory.

Silver lining indeed.

I would agree with 2 goal victory but I think Armas intentionally plays for 1-0 games. Score first then pack it in.

Recipe for disaster.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

The funny thing is, a tie probably suits both teams. We advance, and Cincy is sitting at 4 points, which is guaranteed to be at least better than Group A -- they would need to climb over only one other 3rd place team to advance.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

The funny thing is, a tie probably suits both teams. We advance, and Cincy is sitting at 4 points, which is guaranteed to be at least better than Group A -- they would need to climb over only one other 3rd place team to advance.

This. 

Based on how Cincy played ATL, they are gonna pack it in tight and play for 0-0. For them, they finish 3rd and likely advance and in the event they don't, they go home 1-1-1 and the coaching staff has 'something to build on' even though they looked like shit. Cincy was CLEARLY playing for 0-0 against ATL, even up a man they didn't send many guys up the field. It wasn't until later in the game when it was clear ATL had no offense that Cincy started to take advantage. Even then, Cincy didn't look threatening offensively, it was just the nature of being a man up. 

That shitshow is a total rebuild, they don't have any expectations of getting a win in the knockout round. I think they want moral victories. If we don't take advantage shame on us, but on the other hand, it's going to be REALLY hard for us to score against them packed tight and us having no idea how to cross a ball, pass in the middle of the field or apparently shoot. Should be a really boring 90 minutes. Let's not get a red card please.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Like mentioned before, expect Staam to keep it as simple as possible and play very compact and conservative. He can only do so much considering he's taken the team over in these crazy circumstances. 

So how are our bunker breaking abilities? We've seen this story before when it comes to teams that give us the ball and expect us to break them down. 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

All the options are underwhelming right now so we're desperate, but for me putting any hope in Jorgensen is blind hope. There is still an enormous gap in talent between USL and MLS. Brandon Allen tore USL up and couldn't cut it at the next level. Most of the people on this board who follow RB2 closely have said that despite decent numbers, Jorgensen did not pass the eye test and was just able to feast on terrible defenses that don't exist in MLS.

The last time we saw him with the big boys was this preseason and he looked just as bad as he did when he got first team minutes last year. I'd be thrilled to be wrong and see him make a huge jump, but I'm not banking on it.

I did not watch RB2 games. If you say he does not pass the eye test, thats disappointing. I know stats dont tell the whole story, take white for instance. Even though some people are gashing about him for scoring nine goals last year, he just didnt contribute at all to building and keeping possession and often even when he scored I felt he overall didnt contribute much. Just didnt pass the eye test . It is sad if its true for Jorgensen also in RB 2.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
Personally, I would put Royer and White up top and would start Rza over CCJ. Bring Muyl and Omir on at 60 to run. I dont know what Meara is doing in training but I am not wowed by Jensen. Give him the start. Treat this match like a knockout game...Meara has been our US Open Cup man.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I saw some reserve matches from last yr. Yes, he scored almost a dozen goals with the reserves. iirc, he got a lot of looks at goal also, but couldn't finish quite a few of them. He's got wheels for sure, but he's not as good as White, imo. Jorgen$en is def better than Elney, but doesn't have the physical tools that Barlow has.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Personally, I would put Royer and White up top and would start Rza over CCJ. Bring Muyl and Omir on at 60 to run. I dont know what Meara is doing in training but I am not wowed by Jensen. Give him the start. Treat this match like a knockout game...Meara has been our US Open Cup man.

Not opposed at all.

Only concern is RZA and Davis don't have the greatest combo together (except for like 1 game but we were playing 4231 v ATL and RZA had best game ever)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

I saw some reserve matches from last yr. Yes, he scored almost a dozen goals with the reserves. iirc, he got a lot of looks at goal also, but couldn't finish quite a few of them. He's got wheels for sure, but he's not as good as White, imo. Jorgen$en is def better than Elney, but doesn't have the physical tools that Barlow has.

The only hope here is that even if he was not as good as White last year, as you observed, since he was 18 then (and 19 now) maybe he improved and surpassed him now. White and Barlow are in their prime at 24/25 and are not getting any better. The pathetic display you see game in and game out is what you get from here on out. We need a forward who can also contribute in building and maintaining possession and creating out there, setting up other guys too, as our midfield is simply not good enough to consistently feed him for good opportunities.

Has Jorgey improved enough between 18 and 19 years of age to become more of that guy - I don't know, but I do want to find out soon, since I just want to vomit every time I see Barlow or White on the field.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users