86 replies to this topic

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Guys like ivan, etienne, Fernandez, white and casseres look good this season.

It's getting to the point were armas cant wait for kaku, rza, bwp valot, and muyl to come back healthy or regain their form.

He is going to have to start playing who ever has the hot hand. It will prob be a difficult conversation with bwp but I think he will understand

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Guys like ivan, etienne, Fernandez, white and casseres look good this season.

It's getting to the point were armas cant wait for kaku, rza, bwp valot, and muyl to come back healthy or regain their form.

He is going to have to start playing who ever has the hot hand. It will prob be a difficult conversation with bwp but I think he will understand

Jumping the gun on White v BWP. White has literally had one shining moment off a wonder cross that BWP would also have finished easily.

Agree on the rest, but hopefully Muyl gets healthy soon, as he can certainly be of use in certain matchups or parts of games.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Armas is making the rookie mistake of changing too many variables at once.   When you have an unstable roster, you have to keep the system and style constant.    Only within a stable system can you mess around with different players or trying players in different roles.    You can't evaluate the system or the players unless you do them independently.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,861 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

It seems like the majority opinion here is swinging towards going back to the same old high press. I'd lean that way too right now given just how bad we've looked trying anything else, but one thing to consider in Armas's defense here - what if the rest of the league has just plain figured out how to play against that system?

Didn't we clamor on for years about how we need to deviate away from that because its too easy to shut down in the playoffs when other team's can focus on game planning against it? What if teams are just now able to game plan against it week to week, not just in the playoffs?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

It seems like the majority opinion here is swinging towards going back to the same old high press. I'd lean that way too right now given just how bad we've looked trying anything else, but one thing to consider in Armas's defense here - what if the rest of the league has just plain figured out how to play against that system?

Didn't we clamor on for years about how we need to deviate away from that because its too easy to shut down in the playoffs when other team's can focus on game planning against it? What if teams are just now able to game plan against it week to week, not just in the playoffs?

The league didn't "figure us out."  There is no secret formation or system that exists without a way counter it.  It's all about execution.   You can't build a team around executing one system and then expect those same players to execute a different system.    You also can't expect to play a high press without  adding reinforcements every year.   We had the best record ever last year, with no drop off  at the end of the season.  ATL only beat us when we stopped playing our game.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Yes high press right now to get results. 

Work on additional ways to play in case system 1 is not working.

There is both system and execution. 

Like in the ATL playoff game last year.  Tactics working until a series of mistakes - guy has acres of space to hit the best cross of his life and our CB/RB don't handle a very visible cross.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

gas huffer

gas huffer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Supports:metroboludos
is he still here?

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

is he still here?

#firearmas

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
SkySports guy had a really detailed fake rumor then, huh. Guess well find out next week if Mintzlaff is meeting with Henry.

Not buying the squash fest by Dennis. Something has to give, get results or Armas is facing the axe either way.

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

The league didn't "figure us out."  There is no secret formation or system that exists without a way counter it.  It's all about execution.   You can't build a team around executing one system and then expect those same players to execute a different system.    You also can't expect to play a high press without  adding reinforcements every year.   We had the best record ever last year, with no drop off  at the end of the season.  ATL only beat us when we stopped playing our game.   

Totally agree here. You can't high press without someone snuffing out counters like Tyler did and Dax before him. You also can't play the high press when our side-backs are so asleep at the wheel. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,861 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

SkySports guy had a really detailed fake rumor then, huh. Guess well find out next week if Mintzlaff is meeting with Henry.

Not buying the squash fest by Dennis. Something has to give, get results or Armas is facing the axe either way.

SkySports had basically no details, I'm honestly surprised the rumor picked up as much steam as it did considering it was all around a two paragraph tabloid-style post with not even "anonymous" sources referenced. Looked like they just straight up made it up on the spot.

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

we stopped playing our game because the lynchpin of our backline (KEmar) was hurt, and playing the same press with Lade swapping in for Kemar would have been suicide.

We lost either way, but i'm not convinced that going back to the press with Lade there would be any better than the crap we're doing now. Management needs to go out and sign a capable 2nd string left back because Lade is USL quality at this point

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users