Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
Hot take let's go;

Keep the 3-3-3-1 I think it's interesting and teams don't really know how to deal with it.

Keep Marsh, even give him an extension. I think he's doing positive things and change would set us back another few years.

Offer Vernon like 300k, no more DP for him.

Collin either has to take like 100k base with bonuses or get rid, too much money for not enough on field.

Our big target in the offseason needs to be a left footed winger and again a target ST to throw on and cause some chaos aka will
bruin.

I'd be pleased with this XI come March

Bwp
Royer - SK16 - Robben (lol)
Taxi - Felipe - Adams
Bahh - Long - Murillo
Robles

Add in Davis, Veron, Lade, DE7, Muyl and one of Collin or DP55, Muyl and a new target ST. And we're in great shape.

Sadly I think we cut losses with Grella, Keira, Zizzo, and Duka.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls
I'd like to see Ettiene get the same opportunity that muyl got this past year to see if he can be a factor.

Everyone says he's got the talent.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

I really hope we can keep Kemar and Adams. Going to suck if they are gone. 

Big questions are Sacha and Felipe. Both were dangled last off-season, and I both were very poor in the playoffs. 

Veron is good enough to be a starting striker somewhere. Does he come back? Let see. 

And of course our horrific backline which has been an issue since Miazga left. Will Baah be healthy? Long came in as a fourth CB option and really stepped up. I think he had some weak performances against top strikers (had some trouble against cbus, toronto, and nycfc), but that performance in the second long was elite. My preference would be a good passing and organizing CB to pair with him.  

And of course Marsch. He's been angling to jump to Europe. Is he back? 

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Watch them sell Adams and Taxi this off season and make zero moves.

Honestly if that happens i would absolutely cancel my season tickets.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Guys I'd definitely bring back:

Lawrence (make him one of the highest paid defenders in the league, he's an elite MLS fullback), Adams (pay him, lock in him for 2 more years), Davis, Felipe, Royer, Veron, Murillo (we just bought him, so he's coming back), Long, Etienne, Robles, Lade, Meara

Guys I'd let leave

Perrinelle, Sacha, BWP, Muyl, Grella, Baah, Zizzo, Abang

Agnostic

Bezecourt, Escobar, Lade, Keita, Collin, Allen, Basuljevic, Duka

I'd fire Marsch personally.  We have a decent young core here.  I think Adams, Lawrence and Long are guys you can build around.  But we need a major overhaul at the top end of the roster.  I'd go hard after Quintero if that's a realistic option.  I'd look into loan deals on higher end players in their 20's struggling to get time at major clubs.  I'd look into bringing in true wingers and true attacking midfield.  We need striker depth.

#RedBullOut

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

If I could change one thing this offseason, it would be the ownership. What a shock!

Keeping Lawrence and Adams for at least one more season have to be a priority. Lawrence was our POTY. I'd definitely keep Davis, Royer, Veron, Murillo, Long, Etienne, Robles, Lade and sure, Meara since I want to agree with the above. 

I'd let all the people listed leave as well. I think we absolutely have to move on from Sacha. We will never win a Cup with him as a focal point on this team because he's so easy to counter when it matters. Stifle the wings and man mark/take away his space and he's absolutely useless. As much as BWP has had shortcomings in the post-season, at the very least I can say he's had diminished service. Montreal last year was bad, but this year he really only had one chance over the two legs. He's never been a guy to create chances for himself...so you could argue that we need someone like that but there aren't many in any league.  I'd prefer if Muyl was gone because I legitimately can't stand watching him anymore - but from a roster standpoint it would make sense if they kept him. The rest not so much. Remember when we traded for Zizzo and I said it was an awful trade even though we gave up nothing? Yeah, that. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back here because I'm more often wrong than right, but god that shit still angers me. 

I'm not sure what to do about Marsch. He's had a pretty solid tenure here and with the way our organization has gone about coaching changes in the past, I'm not sure I trust them to bring in a better replacement. 

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I disagree with firing Marsch so hopefully that doesn't happen.  Don't think it will either.  I think the only reason that we aren't Philly is because we have an academy and a good coach.  With this moneyball crap, the only thing that is going to keep us in the mix is having a damn good coach.  And once you have a bad coach, it can take a long time to rebound from that. I think as long as Marsch is here we are going to continue to make the playoffs.  Not too different than Vermes in KC.  Just comes down to getting fortunate in the playoffs with matchups, injuries, and guys playing well.  The guys play hard, they always have under Marsch.  Kids have developed in a big way and that speaks to coaching as well. 

The only area Marsch has to do better in my mind is the off-field stuff.  He has to pick a system (A good one) and build your roster to that. He wasted the last two offseasons on the 4-2-2-2 and that hurt our starts and didn't fit our personnel.  He also has to stop saving his resources until the Summer window because those players always end up doing absolutely nothing for the team until the next season.  If anything, they hurt the team more than help the season we sign them.  Save an MLS trade, I would do nothing at the deadline because it screws up continuity and it hurts the team more often than helping the team.  Do everything in the offseason.

Our mix of players is wrong.. And it's the reason we were smart to trade Dax.  This core is just limited.  BWP misses another sitter in the biggest moment against a team we couldn't afford to miss against.  Sacha is finished and I basically said exactly that in the very beginning of the season.  At the time I was hoping he was just injured but in reality he suffered his big physical drop off.  

And I don't know enough to say throw everything behind Taxi and Adams because I don't know their intentions.  If they want to go overseas, there is no amount of money that is going to change that.  Going off of his interview, I think Adams intends to stay so that's good.  Don't mind giving Taxi a nice raise although as good as he is, he does play fullback.  In a salary cap system you need to pay certain positions the most money because they impact the team on the field.  It's not as simple as just finding a good player and then keeping him all of the time.  It's like paying RB's in the NFL. There are so many good ones that it's not smart business for building a winner.  Hell, we already pay a keeper a lot of money and I'm not totally crazy about that.   In a perfect world the resources would be allocated right down the middle of the field.  

This is what I'd do: BWP being the toughest call of the bunch because he's good but soo many failures in the biggest moments.  The other aspect is that system means everything.  If we go with that 3-3-3-1 then I'd probably rather letting Collin go because you need defenders who can run in that.

Back:

Adams, Taxi, Royer, Felipe, Veron, Murillo, Robles, Long, Davis, Collin, Bezecourt, Ndam, Scarlett, Keita, Lade

Gone:

Sacha, Zizzo, Perinelle, Baah, Abang, Grella, Muyl, Allen, Escobar, Duka

Could be convinced either way:

Basuljevic, Etienne

Make Robles the captain.  After we ditch Sacha, the only guy you would really want to make captain would be Davis but you can't even guarantee he's a starter.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

And I don't know enough to say throw everything behind Taxi and Adams because I don't know their intentions.  If they want to go overseas, there is no amount of money that is going to change that.  Going off of his interview, I think Adams intends to stay so that's good.  Don't mind giving Taxi a nice raise although as good as he is, he does play fullback.  In a salary cap system you need to pay certain positions the most money because they impact the team on the field.  It's not as simple as just finding a good player and then keeping him all of the time.  It's like paying RB's in the NFL. There are so many good ones that it's not smart business for building a winner.  Hell, we already pay a keeper a lot of money and I'm not totally crazy about that.   In a perfect world the resources would be allocated right down the middle of the field.  

I actually agree with a lot of what you wrote, but not this.  A 2 year deal at 400 per for Lawrence makes too much sense for a guy who's shown an ability to be the best left back in the league and a lethal dead ball striker at the national team level.  Even if the guy wants to leave next year, you have him under contract and can get a really solid transfer fee for him.   We have two DP's coming off the books in our scenario and we can easily make Adams a Young Designated Player to manage the cap there too.  Veron will not be a DP next year as I understand it.

#RedBullOut

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I actually agree with a lot of what you wrote, but not this.  A 2 year deal at 400 per for Lawrence makes too much sense for a guy who's shown an ability to be the best left back in the league and a lethal dead ball striker at the national team level.  Even if the guy wants to leave next year, you have him under contract and can get a really solid transfer fee for him.   We have two DP's coming off the books in our scenario and we can easily make Adams a Young Designated Player to manage the cap there too.  Veron will not be a DP next year as I understand it.

Yeah, when it comes down to it, I would do it because Taxi is that good.  Just would have that thought in the back of my mind.  And with Adams I don't even have a single reservation. Would give him a blank check.

Offseason is going to be interesting.  Can't say for sure I want BWP gone but I lean that way.  Sacha I'm definitely in that boat.  Whether or not they'll pull the trigger on it will be interesting.  

A lot comes down to the system we want to commit to.  That should dictate the players we keep and sign.  And it has to be the right choice too because the last two offseasons have been wasted on that 4-2-2-2.  We can't have that again.

If we ditch BWP then we need someone ala Kei Kamara.  A bigger guy who offers something in the air.  Our set pieces being trash wasn't completely due to Sacha.  Nobody could score.

Footie17

Footie17

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Portugal, Donuts

Speaking of set pieces, I'd love to see an analysis on what creates more chances. A corner whipped in with pace, or the lofted shit we've seen for countless years now (Henry, Sacha, etc.).

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Something notable.

https://www.fourfour...&utm_m_medium=t

Multiple league sources tell me MLS is set to approve a new rule this offseason that will allow teams to keep 100 percent of transfer fees for Homegrown Players. This incentivizes league owners to invest more in player development, and rewards the teams that do so successfully. Currently, MLS receives 25 percent of any Homegrown transfer.

In addition, the league is weighing a proposal that would increase the cap of transfer revenue used as General Allocation Money. According to one source, the proposal would also see that cap increase incrementally from year to year. It is not immediately clear how much that cap would be increased – sources indicated it has not yet been determined – however, it makes sense to see a substantial jump.

Theoretically this would help us considering we tend to develop more players than other teams.  Maybe matters most if Tyler decides he wants to leave in a year or two.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Thoughts on some guys...

BWP – Just signed to a new contract. He will be here. Still one of the best goal scores in the league. Yes, he has missed big opportunities. But it is not a coincidence that he gets so many opportunities. That is a skill in itself. We know his abilities. We would not even be in the playoffs or made an Open Cup run without this man.

Sacha - I really don’t know. He didn’t have the best year, but he led the league in assists and I believe chances created. But stats don’t always tell the whole story. He still had a ton of giveaways. And was a lot slower this year both in actual play and decision making. I don’t think we looked that bad when he wasn’t on the field for us. If they get rid of him I think I would feel similar to the Dax trade. It would be sad to see him go, but I can understand it if they do. I wish we had seen more of Keita but it is possible he fill in for Sacha in the same way that Davis filled in for Dax.

Veron – He has to go. I’ve come to love the guy his time here should be over. There is no more “experiment”. There is no more “trying to integrate him into the lineup” It has been 3 YEARS. All under the same coach, and he has been healthy. You CAN NOT use a DP spot on a guy who only plays 25 minutes a game. If he wasn’t a DP it would be a different story, but he is.

Collin – Unfortunately I think he has to go also. He’s a great player. But we clearly need another CB anyway. And if we are going to play money ball, we cannot keep a guy with such a high salary when he is always hurt. If he had a lower salary I would keep him.

Baah – Feels like we have been waiting forever for this guy. From the little bit of watching him, I remember him being fast, and good with the ball at his feet. I think he would make a great partner with Long, as those are the 2 skills Long does not have.

Muyl – He has been given multiple opportunities and hasn’t really done much with it. I’m OK keeping him as a depth guy to play when others need rest but I don’t think he should really have a big role in the team going forward.

Murillo – We just extended his contract so he will be here. Overall, was pretty good and has a big upside and fits our system well. I think he will be our RB for the foreseeable future. Will get good experience in the WC with Panama

Long – What a year for this guy. Wasn’t even considered to be in our starting XI going into the season and ended up playing basically every game as our best defender. Yea, he got beat badly a few times but he’s a rookie that’s expected. He had some great performances against great players.

Kemar Lawrence – Keep this man by any means.

Tyler Adams – Keep him by any means also. I genuinely think he wants to play here for at least 1 more year. Incredibly mature for his age. But he NEEDS to play centrally.

Felipe – I used to rate him pretty highly but he was pretty invisible towards the end of the year. I don’t know if he was playing hurt or tired but I didn’t see the same intensity that he usually brings. I’m sure Marsch will keep him but I thought he really under performed at the end of the year.

Grella – I would keep him. He is cheap salary and brings creativity in the final third that we clearly do not have. I think he is perfect guy to sub in when we need a goal, specifically when a team is defending deep and not giving us space in the final third. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Lots of valid points here, and because I am still not 100% sure with exactly what I would do it will add more thoughts.

Big Picture

• Jesse is a very good coach and I don't understand why anyone would want him gone.  We had 4 significant contributors who this season was there first complete year playing full time at a MLS level or higher (Murillo, Long, Adams, Davis) and we still made a Cup final and got into the playoffs.  All this after trading our captain which caused a lot of offseason turmoil.  He still has stuff to work on but tactically in the season between our set up during the second leg and finding a creative formation to get our best players on the field was really good. 
  • Major consideration is if people want to rebuild our core, and as a result probably not compete for a Cup next year, or amend the core and still fight for the Cup. Our core players right now are Felipe, Sacha, BWP, Kemar, Royer, Adams.  Even if long term it makes our team better it would be really hard to lose more than 2 of these guys and have the continuity to make a legitimate run.  While the highest seeds do not always in in MLS, most of the teams float the same core.  Related to this if we have to sell Kemar and Tyler this winter I would blow it up, and not keep team together
  • Biggest void team needs to fill is signing a warrior/leader and a complimentary goal scorer.  
         - Our two best natural leaders from last year are gone (Dax) or injured all year (Collin). When at times an 18 year old looks to be your toughest player, that's no good.  Felipe and Sacha talk, but they do not have that aura on the field where you know in a sticky situation they will defuse it and deal with it properly.  BWP himself knows he is not a natural leader in that light, though he has tried his best to help fill that void and has done a decent job.  Davis I think can grow into that role as well, but as mentioned by someone, Captain needs to be an automatic starter and he is not yet
        - BWP messed up this series but someone else needs to be capable of doing something.  BWP saved us in playoffs against KC and set tone against Chicago.  And more importantly always gets in spots to have chances,  Whereas Veron is as tactically inflexible as Sacha, but does not have the production at any level for me to be willing to rework my team to better cater to him
  • Last secondary need is a deep lying playmaker of some sorts.  Having someone like a Wil Trapp or M Bradley to help with distribution from the back would help relive pressure from Sacha (or our new 10) from having to create everything. We struggle with buildup due to this when people box in Sacha, and he's not quick enough anymore to dribble through it.  Felipe is not capable of doing this job and there really is no one on the current roster who can atm.  Davis maybe can develop into that role because he is a good ball striker and tidy passer, but its not a slam dunk that he can do the job.  We could also sign a ball playing CB to do this, but those are harder to find, so I am not assuming team will fill that.  Baah could do job but until proven otherwise he is not in my plans.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Man, hadn't realized that Toronto basically only ended up with 3 shots on goal in the entire two games.  Against a team with that talent is impressive... 

Personally kind of forget that Etienne is only 20 and gonna be 21 pretty soon.  Very possible that he makes a good, physical jump in the next year or two.  Kid has great ability on the ball so I hope it happens.

Watched Marsch's presser after the game and he was asked about next season and signing someone.  He said, yeah definitely.  He's said that before so who knows if it works out, but I'm still happy to see that answer from him.  Could have easily said "well, we're really close" and things like that but he didn't.   He specifically said that "we have a good base and it's about adding some important pieces" so hopefully it works out.

ON another note, I do worry about Escobar.  Dude is 5'11 and not exactly fast... He's also going to be 23 in January so that suggests there won't be a lot of physical change with him either.  In MLS, I think it's better to have CB's who can really handle the ball in the air.   Baah isn't exactly the tallest guy but before the injury he was very fast and had great leaping ability so it's not 100% about height.

And as far as Baah goes, I wonder if his attitude off the field is going to make a difference on whether we keep him.  The dude handled last year very professionally when we essentially IR'd him knowing he was likely going to be able to play by Sept.  I guess it all comes down to how he was looking in practices the last couple of months.  If he was improving and physically looked good, then we see him back.  If the injury resulted in a physical dropoff, then he's gone.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Our biggest needs IMO

1) An experienced Center back. Than can play the ball at his feet.

2) Someone who is a threat in the air. We need somebody to cross the ball to on set pieces/corners.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users