31 replies to this topic

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team
Let me ask you ALL a question here... Now suppose that one day finally comes and Red Bull says "fuck it" and sells... Then what?

We just have Ader or another person with "deep pockets" take over and all is well and dandy in Metroland where everyone hold hands and sing kumbaya?

Just remember, there's a very DISTINCT difference between being owned by a billionaire, and owned by a committee of "millionaires", or worse - ONE millionaire. I mean do we REALLY want to be the New Jersey equivalent of the Philadelphia Union? If possibly surrendering the NYC Metro area to NYCFC and the Cosmos is a trade-off to removing RB from our existence, that's not a trade I'm not sure I would really want to make.

And if you really don't know the difference, I don't know what to tell you. Again, I'm not saying the team being owned by RB is the best thing in the world, but bear in mind and take it from a Knicks fan, things COULD be bleeping worse...

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Let me ask you ALL a question here... Now suppose that one day finally comes and Red Bull says "fuck it" and sells... Then what?

We just have Ader or another person with "deep pockets" take over and all is well and dandy in Metroland where everyone hold hands and sing kumbaya?

Just remember, there's a very DISTINCT difference between being owned by a billionaire, and owned by a committee of "millionaires", or worse - ONE millionaire. I mean do we REALLY want to be the New Jersey equivalent of the Philadelphia Union? ......

What's Philly's payroll this year?     What's ours?    We have the bare minimum possible, except for the $250 or $300K BWP makes above the DP cap hit.  Is there a team in the league with a lower payroll?  How about the marketing budget?   What's the point of having a billionaire owner if they don't spend any money?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

What's Philly's payroll this year?     What's ours?

Apples and oranges. And I'm talking about the total worth between franchises. Not just player payroll. Part of the reason some of the fans feel they should do more with the resources they have - without corporate walking billboard foolishness.

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Gonna disagree with you just because the one good thing about RB was the deep pockets. Now they do NOT have deep pockets. Terrible FO, false promises, lies, etc all were covered up by the deep pockets which is why things could always be worse. No more deep pocks = everything they screw up comes straight to the front of the line without distractions or excuses.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Apples and oranges. And I'm talking about the total worth between franchises. Not just player payroll. Part of the reason some of the fans feel they should do more with the resources they have - without corporate walking billboard foolishness.

You made the comparison to Philly.  Who cares about the total worth is?  What matters more than payroll?  Our fancy practice facility?  Almost everyone has one.   Yes,we have a nicer stadium than Philly.  I'd trade it in a minute of it meant we were buying the best players.  

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

What's Philly's payroll this year?     What's ours?    We have the bare minimum possible, except for the $250 or $300K BWP makes above the DP cap hit.  Is there a team in the league with a lower payroll?  How about the marketing budget?   What's the point of having a billionaire owner if they don't spend any money?

Philly's ownership situation is not where we want to be...  That team has never spent big money. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Where would you rank RBNY ownership in terms of MLS? I'm not just talking about theoretical spending potential, because that's besides the point; anyone who owns this franchise is going to be spending more than Columbus. I mean in terms of ownership relative to their cash inventory. Because, for instance, while RBNY probably spends more than the Houston Dynamo, I have the perception that Houston ownership actually puts forward everything they can. Like, a $50 dollar birthday gift from your poor uncle is a lot more meaningful than a $100 dollar gift card from your CEO cousin. 

And then you get into local presence, fan relations, WINNING, genuine feeling of investment, etc. Where would you rank this ownership group within MLS? It's, at best, bottom five. 

Things could be worse, sure. Things could also be a hell of a lot better. I like our odds. Even average ownership would be an upgrade. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Philly's ownership situation is not where we want to be...  That team has never spent big money. 

And if we don't spend big money, whats the benefit of a billionaire owner?  Last year the Worms spent $3.9M on salary - we are currently on track to spend less than that this year.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Where would you rank RBNY ownership in terms of MLS? I'm not just talking about theoretical spending potential, because that's besides the point; anyone who owns this franchise is going to be spending more than Columbus. I mean in terms of ownership relative to their cash inventory. Because, for instance, while RBNY probably spends more than the Houston Dynamo, I have the perception that Houston ownership actually puts forward everything they can. Like, a $50 dollar birthday gift from your poor uncle is a lot more meaningful than a $100 dollar gift card from your CEO cousin. 

And then you get into local presence, fan relations, WINNING, genuine feeling of investment, etc. Where would you rank this ownership group within MLS? It's, at best, bottom five. 

Things could be worse, sure. Things could also be a hell of a lot better. I like our odds. Even average ownership would be an upgrade. 

Is this current ownership really spending more on payroll than Colombus?

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

You made the comparison to Philly.  What matters more than payroll?  Our fancy practice facility?  Almost everyone has one.   Yes,we have a nicer stadium than Philly.  I'd trade it in a minute of it meant we were buying the best players.  

Of course i made that comparison. They can't afford any "big name" players. They have to go young or cherry-pick guys from the draft or elsewhere. You honestly think a guy like Christano Ronaldo or even Xavi is going to sign and suit up for them? How will they afford his salary? That's what I'm talking about here. Don't think the decision is solely based on where a player practices and plays is the reason he signed his name on a contract. All of those factors come into play.

If we can get a owner that's willing to go big time without stretching himself or the club too thin, then fine. Otherwise, let's wait until we get the right guy for the club. Not some fool with some money.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

And if we don't spend big money, whats the benefit of a billionaire owner?  Last year the Worms spent $3.9M on salary - we are currently spending less than that this year.

I agree, I want away from this group as well.  Purely because of the money issue.

But a lot of people around here act like anything is better than this current group.  I don't want to be middle of the road, it's gotta be high end.  

legends119

legends119

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls,Everton

just waiting for mountain dew to buy us and then we will be known as   new york dew... lol.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Im just hoping for a FO that doesn't lie anymore. I can't trust anything Curtis or MdG says and i really hate that.

I can take losing, but i can't take losing know we are 3 out of 3 on the Red Bull totem pole and aren't getting any support because they don't want it.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I'm not one of the RB out people and never have been.  I respect things they have done for us.

I don't like to hate or blame things on a big picture.  i.e., the system is rigged; big govornment's fault;  man is holding me down; etc.   It's too easy to hate your situation for a reason that's truly unknown.  I hold people accountable.  That's why I hate Marc piece of shit fucking asshole de Granpre so much.  That's why I hated that loser Chris Heck so much.

Others don't like Red Bull corporation because they don't want our team to be a walking billboard for an energy drink.  I completely respect that.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

I prefer them to some Middle East zillionaire. They came to the rescue of this franchise which was in the process of folding and bringing MLS down with it. Don't forget that.

Now MLS is doing pretty well and the soccer landscape in the US looks bright. There are even imitators out there like the NASL and the team that was brought (or should I say "bought"?) back from the dead.

Yeah, unfortunately we are billboards for their money product and we've never won the Cup. But the world is not perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users