• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Remember that one season with Henry? I dunno, I think our system puts a lot on our wide backs and Lade struggles - things were more simple in the 4-4-2 diamond when he made overlappng runs.

Sucks Duncan was injured.

If you have to build your formation around Lade that is a serious weakness.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Substitute Lade for Team, for his fair share of the blame.

Kaku is leisurely following Atlantas ginger ninja. Royer, Adams, and Lade were next on assignment.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

It's not like Atlanta and C-Bus made massive changes. It was as simple as hitting the ball long instead of playing out of the back entirely.  

It wasn't a complicated switch.  Their tactical change was designed to beat us in our pressing ways, but we didn't even press.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Kaku is leisurely following Atlantas ginger ninja. Royer, Adams, and Lade were next on assignment.

Thats also the left wing which is, in general, Royer's area. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Sounds like you need a hug.

A drink.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

A drink.

That I can give you haha

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

I am NOT disagreeing with anything above, but I want to add another perspective.

Maybe Atlanta was smarting from their quick knockout the year before? Perhaps they saw that winning the SS would make them face either their nemesis and late charging Crew or the revitalized DCU, in their first round. While not winning the SS would make them face either NYCFC or PU. Any reasonable MLS fan would realize that both NYCFC and PU are better matchups than either the Crew or DCU.

And they needed a well rested Almiron. So Almiron gets a big rest before the playoffs. Maybe he was injured, maybe not. In any event he did not play against Toronto FC in their last regular season game. Nagbe is no Almiron and they lose to Toronto.

So maybe they took their foot off the gas, let NYRB win the SS, and then went full throttle in the playoffs.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

maybe they took their foot off the gas, let NYRB win the SS, and then went full throttle in the playoffs.

More likely, ATL incorrectly thought that they could beat moribund TFC without Almiron.
Did RB sacrifice the Cup to win the Shield?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
I said it elsewhere, but we faltered due to a bad gameplan and bad luck on injuries. If the timing of Taxi and Almiron's injuries were switched, ATL would have the shield and would have smashed the points record, and we would have coasted to the cup.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

we would have coasted to the cup.

I cannot imagine any scenario where RB easily progresses to win a cup.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

I cannot imagine any scenario where RB easily progresses to win a cup.

Because it doesnt exist.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
If I had to really guess on one reason I would say it would be because they scored more goals than us.

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

Chris Armas

Tata Matino

Same Old Metro?

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut