379 replies to this topic

Nuno

Nuno

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, SLB

The ego's are way too big. This will be the third season I go to RBNY games, and I can clearly see it already. I have always sat in 101 but that's because it's usually the fullest. I don't like standing around awkwardly next to empty seats...I'll sing whatever you want. I'll wave a flag for 90 minutes. It doesn't matter to me, but I do get frustrated when another group breaks out 'shalalalala NY' in the middle of Vamos Metros.

Again to re-iterate...no problem with any of the groups. Keep doing your thing, but the SW is more intimidating when everyone is on the same page.

PS: No more bush league megaphones please.

THIS!  ALL OF THIS!

FORZA METRO!
Bringing the noise from Sec 201

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Uniting them would definitely add something more, so it's a shame that won't happen any time soon.  

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I don't think anyone is "openly antagonistic" of the old guard Metro fans, at least not at the matches.  Here, maybe.  I know that I personally just sing and drink beer for the game 99% of the time.  The only time I get pissed off is when people try to push me out of where I was standing and demanding their ticketed seat, or if someone decides to trash my Metro shirt "Wrong colors, wrong team" and equivalent comments.

I will fully admit that I will flip a shit on some one for doing that, and did to some guy last year for making a snide comment when I started a Metro chant.  It's that last part that is one of the biggest hindrances to the SW being unified.  We as a fan base are not unified. and will continue to be fractured so long as Red Bull is the owner.

Edit: and I agree on the ego part..but I think the ESC leadership did a wonderful job reaching out over the years...seems like theres resistance from others within the groups tho, not leadership.  Just my opinion.

#RedBullOut

matador

matador

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  • Supports:metro, USMNT

We could always just fold everyone into the sparta metro firm umbrella

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

How are you supposed to have a unified South Ward when fans can't even decide what to call the team?

BillFromAstoria

BillFromAstoria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Liverpool, US, SUNY Purchase

The saddest part is that we have done this to ourselves.

It has been the fans of the club (on all sides, myself included) that have escalated the argument and widened the gulf so much that the general consensus on this thread is that there is 0% chance of supporter group unity ever happening. 

Alas, we are forever splintered, and doomed to splinter further. 

METRO T-SHIRTS!

1996NY.com

Even the losers get lucky sometimes.

Nuno

Nuno

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

How are you supposed to have a unified South Ward when fans can't even decide what to call the team?

Agreed..but this is so frustrating already.  I've been a fan of this franchise since the beginning.  As a Metro fan, I HATED going to games at the Medowlands.  Let's face it...it SUCKED there.  Let's be honest about it.  10k people in that place made it feel like you were at a high school game.  Metro folded.  I love the Metro name and team, but guess what folks, Metro isn't the team name anymore.  There should be no arguement over what to call the team.  We are now RBNY.  Period.  End of story.  We all love the new arena right?  Do you think we would have had that with the old ownership group...probably not.  Do you think a guy like Henry would have come to play for Metro in the Medowlands...probably not.  Speaking only for myself, I have no problem supporting RED BULL NEW YORK.  That's who our team is.

FORZA METRO!

Nuno

Nuno

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

The saddest part is that we have done this to ourselves.

It has been the fans of the club (on all sides, myself included) that have escalated the argument and widened the gulf so much that the general consensus on this thread is that there is 0% chance of supporter group unity ever happening. 

Alas, we are forever splintered, and doomed to splinter further. 

Agreed that we have done this to ourselves...but I don't think that it needs to splinter further.  If everyone in the 3 groups wants to be honest with themselves, they have to face the fact that their sole purpose is to be there to support the team in whatever way they have chosen.  The only true way to do that in the BEST possible manner isn't by seperating, but by getting unified.  They all want to do the same thing, but no one wants to back down. That's why the solution offered in the article posted at the start of this thread is a great option. Get the leaders of each group in a room...hammer things out, send it to a member vote, and agree to come up with a NEW name for the group.  This way no one feels like they lost..and we all win with a unified South Ward. I really believe that if this were to happen, membership would increase significantly and we'd have a much better stadium experience with a bunch more members dedicated to the cause of one large group.

FORZA METRO!

BillFromAstoria

BillFromAstoria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Agreed that we have done this to ourselves...but I don't think that it needs to splinter further.  If everyone in the 3 groups wants to be honest with themselves, they have to face the fact that their sole purpose is to be there to support the team in whatever way they have chosen.  The only true way to do that in the BEST possible manner isn't by seperating, but by getting unified.  They all want to do the same thing, but no one wants to back down. That's why the solution offered in the article posted at the start of this thread is a great option. Get the leaders of each group in a room...hammer things out, send it to a member vote, and agree to come up with a NEW name for the group.  This way no one feels like they lost..and we all win with a unified South Ward. I really believe that if this were to happen, membership would increase significantly and we'd have a much better stadium experience with a bunch more members dedicated to the cause of one large group.

In order for any of this to happen, we all need to accept responsibility for the way things have gone and we need to accept viewpoints contrary to our own.

Those with large egos will find apology or empathy nearly impossible, and we'll be right back where we started. 

METRO T-SHIRTS!

1996NY.com

Nuno

Nuno

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

In order for any of this to happen, we all need to accept responsibility for the way things have gone and we need to accept viewpoints contrary to our own.

Those with large egos will find apology or empathy nearly impossible, and we'll be right back where we started. 

...change...it's a motherf#cker ain't it?

Oh well, one can dream.

FORZA METRO!

kmb499

kmb499

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull NY, Everton

I always get a kick out of those who refuse to support the name "Red Bulls" because its a corporation.  The'yre usually standing there in their Nikes, drinking an Anheuser Bush branded beer.

BillFromAstoria

BillFromAstoria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Yep. Until then we will remain a common, yet separated group, singing in a chorus of ever-dissonant voices.

...or, America. 

METRO T-SHIRTS!

1996NY.com

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

I always get a kick out of those who refuse to support the name "Red Bulls" because its a corporation.  The're usually standing there in their Nike sneakers, drinking an Anheuser Bush branded beer.

(To the sound of THUNDEROUS applause!!!) - btw, fyp

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

I always get a kick out of those who refuse to support the name "Red Bulls" because its a corporation.  The'yre usually standing there in their Nikes, drinking an Anheuser Bush branded beer.

That is a god awful analogy. I mean, its fucking straight up terrible.

RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

That is a god awful analogy. I mean, its fucking straight up terrible.

Care to elaborate? Although we KNOW what you are going to say...

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users