417 replies to this topic

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Agreed. I'm not sure how anyone could say this with any confidence. We watched Felipe for 3 years. We've watched Rapinoe for not even 2 full games. 

And that's part of the reason I was concerned. Rzat missed more time in 2 games due to injury than Felipe in 2 years.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

And that's part of the reason I was concerned. Rzat missed more time in 2 games due to injury than Felipe in 2 years.

Except it wasn't an Rzat for Felipe trade, it was a Parker for Felipe trade with Rzat substituting for Felipe and Collin either pushed to the bench by Parker / or allowing us to play 3 competent CB's in the back when we choose / or better depth for injury and rest needs.

Are we a better team for these moves, the same or worse? That is the question.

Of course it is too early to make a Felipe vs. Rzat comparison. 

If the Parker opportunity didn't exist Felipe would still be a Red Bull and Rzat would still be in Europe. When you assess Rzat's ability to stay on the field you have to assess Collin's ability to stay on the field as well. 

These moves were a net positive in my mind even though losing Felipe was a loss. If Rzat proves to perform at a level commensurate with Felipe (slightly different styles but similar quality) then there is no loss in midfield at all, though I am not ready to call that one.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
The Rpainoe loan and Parker trade were independent of each other.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I cannot prove that they are connected, but it is highly likely that the idea that Parker might become available has been known for awhile and it is likely Vancouver was aware of our interest as well for awhile. There is more dialogue between teams than you imagine. Most comes to nothing, but feelers are put out all of the time. Vancouver didn't wake up two weeks ago to discover they had an unhappy camper. They wanted real value in a trade, more than just funny money, and that takes time to find the right partner. I believe our discovering Rzat was not a coincidence. We knew there was a good chance we were going to lose Felipe.

This is all my conjecture and may be pure fantasy, but I know how much study and work goes into player transactions in leagues with salary caps and lots of roster restrictions. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Not sure how you can say that.   Without Rapinoe, there is no way we trade Felipe.   No way.   Was that the plan when we brought him over?  Maybe, maybe not, but clearly, if SOMEONE was going to be redundant with Rapinoe coming here, just a question of who.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

Not sure how you can say that.   Without Rapinoe, there is no way we trade Felipe.   No way.

We brought in Rpainoe on loan.

In a later move, we wat overpaid and included Felipe in a trade.

As it was outlined in an above post, they were conjoined moves. Thats all.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

We brought in Rpainoe on loan.

In a later move, we wat overpaid and included Felipe in a trade.

As it was outlined in an above post, they were conjoined moves. Thats all.

So you are saying, if we didn't have Rapinoe here, we would have still sent Felipe in that trade?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

So you are saying, if we didn't have Rapinoe here, we would have still sent Felipe in that trade?

If the Parker opportunity didn't exist Felipe would still be a Red Bull and Rzat would still be in Europe.

I was specifically commenting on that statement.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

I definitely think that RZA's comfort within the system probably influenced the team's decision-making with Felipe.

Having said that our CBs have been an issue since Miazga left. That they only rectified the problem now baffles me to no end. Every year we talk about the big issue facing the team being our CBs. We had to do this trade. Collin has not looked capable of handling good opposition. 

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

If the Parker opportunity didn't exist Felipe would still be a Red Bull and Rzat would still be in Europe.

I was specifically commenting on that statement.

I firmly believe that the possibility of a Parker for Felipe trade has been there for quite awhile and the ability to get Rzat on loan from our sister Club to fill the hole made the trade happen. One technically followed the other, true, but we may not have pulled the trigger on the trade if we weren't able to get Rzat.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Didn't Marsch say they had been pursuing Parker for two years?

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Didn't Marsch say they had been pursuing Parker for two years?

Something like that.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts
I cant emphasize enough the attractiveness of a strong domestic CB paring that fingers crossed can play together for multiple years in their prime. For the long term health of the Club it is a coup actually, especially since that has been our weak spot for years. Hopefully our Academy can produce a LB or RB to match them. The flexibility that that then gives you to not have to dick around with the international slots to add skill players is also of real hidden value.

Marsch loves Felipe, but this trade was a no brainer. He had to do it.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

I firmly believe that the possibility of a Parker for Felipe trade has been there for quite awhile and the ability to get Rzat on loan from our sister Club to fill the hole made the trade happen. One technically followed the other, true, but we may not have pulled the trigger on the trade if we weren't able to get Rzat.

Youre allowed to feel that way. But its based 100% upon your imagination. No facts or even rumors to support it.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Youre allowed to feel that way. But its based 100% upon your imagination. No facts or even rumors to support it.

I said in my earlier post it was entirely my conjecture and could all be fantasy.

But I have hired a lot of professionals in my time and I spend all day analyzing how businesses work in order to make bets on how the unknowable future will turn out.

It all just makes too much sense. You dont rip out your Ironman Core on a whim. This took quite a bit of thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users