Giants3b

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:laying in the dirt
  • Supports:San Francisco Giants

Armas Was part of a SS winning team too LMAOROFL

He was by all measures a great assistant, some people can't make the jump to manager. Easy as that.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Lade should have retired 2 years ago. Maybe we don't get smoked in Atlanta with someone else back there.

Thanks for the memories I guess?

Boo. Thumbs down to you.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

I don't think it's shameful at all. I just prefer to hold professional soccer players to a higher standard than "tries really hard". This is more of an indication on American soccer culture in general - fast running, hard working players are more valued than skillful ones. It's affecting soccer at all levels, starting in the youth ranks, and I guess reflects fan perceptions as well.

What? You are creating a commentary and connecting it to a broader narrative that is just not fitting to this thread. 

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

I don't think it's shameful at all. I just prefer to hold professional soccer players to a higher standard than "tries really hard". This is more of an indication on American soccer culture in general - fast running, hard working players are more valued than skillful ones. It's affecting soccer at all levels, starting in the youth ranks, and I guess reflects fan perceptions as well.

I guess it isn't enough for some fans that the players give their all.  Lade wasn't the one putting himself out in the game.  Lade wasn't the one who signed himself the contract.  All you can ask of a player is to give their all with the opportunities he is given. Asking any more is asking a player to be something he is not, which is unreasonable. Lade always gave 100% for the team and should be respected for it.  

If appreciating players who give their all makes me a dumb American fan, I do not want to be the type of fan who just criticizes any players who aren't perfect, especially when I have signed up to watch a league that is not nearly the best. I have no right to expect perfection or greatness from every player. If you are watching MLS and expect every player to be great and play beautiful soccer, you should just quit on the team and the league now and go watch one of the European leagues.

Plus, if you just beat players down every time they screw up, you are not a supporter or a fan in my book.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Lade just stated there are opportunities at the club for him that he will be considering that dont involve travel (so likely not a coach with one of the older teams).
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT
Not a particularly great player but a likeable player. Surprised he doesn't want to keep going.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
You absolutely need guys like Lade. Local academy guys that wont start but can chip in with meaningful contributions from time to time. You can do MUCH worse on the backend of your roster than Lade.

He deserves the fans thanks and respect.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
Thanks Connor for giving us your all, you'll always be a metro!

First player to play whole career (more than a couple of years) as a metro?

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I just prefer to hold professional soccer players to a higher standard than "tries really hard". This is more of an indication on American soccer culture in general - fast running, hard working players are more valued than skillful ones.

Many people, not just Americans, appreciate and prefer players who give 100%, over skilled prima donnas who play well below expectations, when they show up at all. Lade worked his way into the hearts of many fans, unlike Murillo, who seems to have played himself off the team.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Thanks Connor for giving us your all, you'll always be a metro!

First player to play whole career (more than a couple of years) as a metro?

No... he was on loan with the Cosmos (RIP).

Seth Stammler might be the answer to that one.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Tearing the acl messed him up. He lost a lot of his quickness

Best of luck. Hopefully academy coach?

The Falcon

The Falcon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Next coach of Morristown High School.

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

One of the few guys in Metro history who always played balls out. Wasnt the biggest guy but he had the biggest heart. This is what this team needed the most. Guys with his attitude. He is right up there with Petke, Henry, Luke Rodgers, and Robles who litterally played with their hearts on their sleeves.

hoofit

hoofit

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
Cheers to Lade!

Thanks for the effort and top personality.

Guy got to grow up and play pro soccer for local club and be a part of some great memories. Who on here wouldnt want that?

All the best to him!

Excellence Not Expectations

N8ballz

N8ballz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Supports:metro

Is he the first player to a have a true European style soccer career arc?  Academy, then sticking with the first team for more than a handful of games/seasons and retire with the team.  That alone is an accomplishment beyond individual contribution to the team over the years. 

What it means to be a product of our academy seems to be a bit murky to me. 

Either way that experience should be a useful tool in recruiting and mentoring talent for the academy.  If he works for the team.  He made a name for himself in local soccer without being a phenom.

And Olsen didn't turn DC into a bunch of whining, diving.. oh, nevermind

-MetroSquard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users