16 replies to this topic

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

On sheer talent we should far outstrip the Panamanian club, but they beat a Mexican club twice in the group which is nothing to scoff at.

I actually think this team's style is well suited against possession-based, short of stature Mexican teams. We just should try to upgrade at the fullback position in the offseason. Haven't been impressed by Lawrence or Duvall this year. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

On sheer talent we should far outstrip the Panamanian club, but they beat a Mexican club twice in the group which is nothing to scoff at.

I actually think this team's style is well suited against possession-based, short of stature Mexican teams. We just should try to upgrade at the fullback position in the offseason. Haven't been impressed by Lawrence or Duvall this year. 

Can't have superstars at every spot with the salary cap....  We'll have a hard enough time keeping guys like Collin under the cap.

Personally fine with Lawrence.  Duvall is the weaker one in my opinion although he's gotten tolerable.

JerseyFan

JerseyFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USA

Given the nature of our mostly brittle center backs, having someone like Duvall with a little versatility on defense isn't a bad thing. Especially if he has been improving, and on top of that he's only making $63k.

AS LONG AS I'M BREATHING

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

I like Duvall on the roster. Not my first choice but he does better than Zizzo.

I'm really low on Lawrence. He seems to be more error-prone defensively, and hasn't been able to contribute much in offense. He can't cross for shit, isn't a real danger to beat a defender. Hell, Roy Miller would beat people on occasion getting down on the touchline. 

That said left-back is a position that almost no team is satisfied with. I just think the combo of Grella (right footed) and Lawrence (can't cross) isn't conducive to any sustained build-up play from that side.

Duvall does okay because he does give the occasional delivery and is versatile. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Lade was by far our best full back this year and he gives us the versatility of being able to play on either side. Hopefully he can recover from his knee injury. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Lawrence has had a terrible year with a number of big mistakes but at least he's not Zizzo. And we all know how good he can be. I quite like Duvall as well, him and Muyl have done pretty well on the right side over the last few games.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts
Yes we have Lade coming back from injury. Duvall and Lawrence are fine. Duvall is getting better the last month. Lawrence has upside if he can regain form. We also have multiple NYRB2 and Academy players in those positions.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Yes we have Lade coming back from injury. Duvall and Lawrence are fine. Duvall is getting better the last month. Lawrence has upside if he can regain form. We also have multiple NYRB2 and Academy players in those positions.

Powder looked legit for the USL team for such a young kid.

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Last I heard, Powder hadn't committed to a college yet, despite being a senior. Has he yet?

If he hasn't, you have to figure he'll be with us (in some form) next season.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

he graduated from HS. didn't go to college. still playing for USL squad. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Have to think that means turning pro....

All that said hard to find things to complain about regarding a team that hasn't lost in 3 months.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Another in the Miazga mold?   Love being able to get these guys young.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

interesting he didn't play last night but another guy O Toole who seems to be similar in age did.  Either way very good.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Muyl

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

It's no secret that I'm a fan of Duvall, but they might get more going forward moving Muyl to RB and putting a more capable winger in that spot.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users