148 replies to this topic

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
He's been with the club for nearly a year now and in terms of a DP signing he's been an absolute bust.

He's constantly injured or failing to make an impact with the minutes he has gotten.

I'm wondering if the team parts ways with him at the end of the season. The issue is that BWP, Kljestan and Grella are nailed-on starters, so the only guy's spot Veron has a chance of taking to get into the starting XI is Sam, who, despite being worse this season, still offers more than Veron.

I'm not sure why they are paying a guy $500k to sit on the bench. It's good to have depth, but at one point I wonder if he gets released or traded and a cheaper alternative is brought in.

My belief with DPs is if they aren't starting, they gotta go.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

Veron is the Right Player

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Make that decision by the end of the season... Yeah.  If things remain the same for the rest of this year as well, it's probably not worth keeping him. 

But if he shows something that makes him worth keeping, you hang onto him.  He clearly has skill.  He's had really bad luck so far so hopefully that changes.  I think it's a guarantee that he's starting tomorrow night so that will be a good start.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Grella went on a tear right when Veron got here last year. By all accounts had a great preseason, but gets injured before season opener. Rushed back because Grella, Sam, & BWP were all suckin it up.  Reinjured hamstring because he came back too soon and now when he's healthy again the offense (less so Sam) starts to click and he's on the outside looking in.

Veron has NOT been given anywhere near the opportunity to gel with Sacha and BWP that was given to Grella or Sam. His biggest problem may be that his best position is where BWP or Sacha plays. Let's give Veron a real run of minutes with the First XI, not 10-15 minutes at the end of a match when we're trying to kill a game (which were most of the minutes he got last year).

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, RU

What he said ^^

For a season as bad as DCU has had, the USOC title is whipped cream on shit ~~ VOR II

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Can't use the injury excuse - Reyna was a bust because of injuries

Can't use the preseason was great excuse - Ian Christianson would be an MLS All Star

Can't use need time to gel excuse- Byron Alvarez never got time to gel

Can't use the adjustment period excuse - BWP was just fine after a preseason with the club after joining late in the season

Can't use the not enough minutes excuse - Giovanni Savarese did just fine with his minutes as a sub.

That said, when you combine all these excuses, it's pretty close to a legitimate excuse.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

He was brought in to plug what, at the time, seemed to be a gaping hole at LM.  Then Mike Grella revealed himself to the world.  Its a good problem to have. Plus, Sam and BWP aren't getting any younger, and we have hella schedule congestion.    If we had some other gaping hole to fill and couldn't do it because of his salry cap space, I'd be concerned.  We don't (thank you, Collin) so I'm not.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

It's a shame he was injured in the last preseason game, b/c he looked fantastic all preseason long (and even scored a hat-trick in that last preseason game, despite being injured half way through the second half).  

My hope is that he will get some real minutes during this hell run of away games.  While he admittedly hasn't done much, he also hasn't seen the field a ton.  So far though, yeah, he's been a disappointment.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

It's a shame he was injured in the last preseason game, b/c he looked fantastic all preseason long (and even scored a hat-trick in that last preseason game, despite being injured half way through the second half).  

My hope is that he will get some real minutes during this hell run of away games.  While he admittedly hasn't done much, he also hasn't seen the field a ton.  So far though, yeah, he's been a disappointment.  

I just hope those minutes are with Sacha and BWP.  To go far in the playoffs I think we need Veron (or what he's hoped to be).  Grella & BWP can put the ball in the net, but we need someone other Sacha that can create goals.

irishstevenj

irishstevenj

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If he were preventing us from doing anything we really needed to do salary-wise I'd be annoyed but I think we can afford to let him find his way for at least the second half of the season.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Not concerned at all.

Is he a great value at this point ? no

Do we need a great value? No

Does he have lots of potential? Yes

Does he have lot of opportunity to show it in the next 2 months? YES

Humm a guy called Grelladhino started this thread... :-P

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Pebble

Pebble

insightful, deep and most creative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Rangers FC, #RedBullOut
Veron has a ton of skill. He seems to have issues with making the correct run at times or knowing where to put the pass. However, he's injured. It seems as though he's made of glass. It would be nice to see him healthy, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Make that decision by the end of the season... Yeah.  If things remain the same for the rest of this year as well, it's probably not worth keeping him. 

But if he shows something that makes him worth keeping, you hang onto him.  He clearly has skill.  He's had really bad luck so far so hopefully that changes.  I think it's a guarantee that he's starting tomorrow night so that will be a good start.

Veron wasn't on the bench for the last game. How is he healthy enough to start three days later?

#RedBullOut

Thursday, November 27, 2008 -

After another Hatch shank over the crossbar...
"And Hatch wonders why nobody is covering him." - Tony Meola

KDyer1012

KDyer1012

Well, he's no Michael Lewis...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Supports:One of those bogus Euro or S.A. teams
Red card suspension, no?

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Veron has no future here. Not saying he won't ever come around, but there's never a reason not to play Grella and Sam under normal circumstance. I would totally like to see Grella in the BWP spot, and Veron take Grella's spot in a USOC though to see what happens.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Veron has a ton of skill. He seems to have issues with making the correct run at times or knowing where to put the pass.

Isn't this something that could be fixed with a run of minutes, like the run of minutes given to Grella last season BEFORE he started scoring? Everyone keeps saying Veron gets minutes, but his minutes are often when we're trying to close out a game - something we've been lucky enough to be doing in the second half of games since he arrived.

Veron wasn't on the bench for the last game. How is he healthy enough to start three days later?

Veron was on Red Card suspension last game, not injured.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users