175 replies to this topic

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Dirty little secret no one wants to discuss : Clark was never that good.

He scored bangers, but wasnt all that fantastic in the run of play. even when we were all praising him to the skies

He's young and shows some promise. But he looked terrible last night - poor positioning, poor touch, poor passing, poor off ball runs. I tend to put how terrible he looked more on confusion regarding tactics and patterns, than his quality potential. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

You are encroaching on the monopoly of RedBullScouse.

Everyone is welcome

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Norm Macdonald died today. Who cares about this stupid team.

This one blew me away and very Norm

Instantly carved out an honored place among the best jokes I've ever heard.
Quote Tweet
David Gardner@byDavidGardner
· 18h
Norm MacDonald on battles with cancer: “I’m pretty sure, I’m not a doctor, but I’m pretty sure if you die, the cancer dies at the same time. That’s not a loss. That’s a draw.”
n battles with cancer: “I’m pretty sure, I’m not a doctor, but I’m pretty sure if you die, the cancer dies at the same time. That’s not a loss. That’s a draw.”

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Upset that BWP didn't score that go ahead goal! He was calling for it and open! 

I could use some heel clicks. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
Most of the talk is about Struber right now but I thought there were a few plays that really highlighted where, on an individual level, our players are not up for MLS-quality attacking play. Links to video in the min markers below

44th Min - Clark receives the ball with time in the middle of the field and has Klimala making a run into acres of space behind the Columbus defense. He plays it too close to the one remaining defender in a position to make a play, and the attack is dead. Once A Metro noted in their tactical preview that this is exactly the kind of run Klimala likes to make from this position. Clark should have ready and able to execute better here.

48th Min - Tolkin forces an excellent turnover in the middle of the field and has a 3v2 break the other way. With Omir wide open for a one touch finish, Tolkin makes the inexplicable decision to try and beat his defender 1v1 and doesn't even come close. Now I get it, I'm not sure I'd pass it to Omir if he was standing on the goal line for a tap in, but it still goes to show the immaturity in decision making from our young squad.

61st Min - Clark again finds himself with the ball, time, and space in the middle of the field. Klimala is making the exact same run that he did earlier and Clark sees him the entire way. He has about 35 yards of space to play the ball into, and somehow manages to overhit it over the end line. 

With the 2015-2018 team, I fully believe the Red Bulls have 2 or possibly 3 goals out of these chances, and the game is put away before Columbus has a chance to muster up a late-game resurgence. Clark is not a #10, never has been and any expectations for him to be the one to carry our midfield were unfounded.

All that said, I think we finally got a game out of Klimala that showed signs of hope. Scored a non-penalty goal, took an excellent volley to almost score a second, and moved much sharper off the ball.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
I'm not sure what Clark's best position is but it's certainly not a number 10. Maybe he'll develop into a good passer but he isn't one today. That he mis-hit a few passes doesn't concern me.

I think he'd develop better as a striker. He has a knack for goal anywhere near the 18 and a killer instinct to shoot (at least before his surgery). I'd rather he get minutes up top rather than as a supposed playmaker.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Clark's best hope is to be an Aaron Ramsey style 8.  Doesnt have the passing precision to play final passes a 10 needs to play.  I think he sees them but he cant hit the pass at all.  Wiki honestly is more advanced as a 10 than Clark in terms of getting into the right places, etc. but i hope he's just really green after playing academy soccer 12 months ago. 

Until we actually solve the 10 problem this winter i'd rather take a chance and put one of our better passers (Davis, Yearwood or Amaya) and the 10 and pray.  The Chicago game in May is the best we've looked on the ball, which is sad since its so long ago

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Clark's best hope is to be an Aaron Ramsey style 8.  Doesnt have the passing precision to play final passes a 10 needs to play.  I think he sees them but he cant hit the pass at all.  Wiki honestly is more advanced as a 10 than Clark in terms of getting into the right places, etc. but i hope he's just really green after playing academy soccer 12 months ago. 

Until we actually solve the 10 problem this winter i'd rather take a chance and put one of our better passers (Davis, Yearwood or Amaya) and the 10 and pray.  The Chicago game in May is the best we've looked on the ball, which is sad since its so long ago

Id put the away win vs. Orlando up there as well. I dont know where that team has gone, but if you have a chance rewatch that game and compare it to some of the recent performances.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

I'm not sure what Clark's best position is but it's certainly not a number 10. Maybe he'll develop into a good passer but he isn't one today. That he mis-hit a few passes doesn't concern me.

I think he'd develop better as a striker. He has a knack for goal anywhere near the 18 and a killer instinct to shoot (at least before his surgery). I'd rather he get minutes up top rather than as a supposed playmaker.

Hard to argue, but his instinctive movement fits an 8 better.   He is good at hiding in a crowd and pouncing on a loose ball.  Not sure that translates when exposed up top and just trying to split defenders or  hide behind a defender's shoulder, and he's certainly not a back-to-the-goal hold up guy.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Most of the talk is about Struber right now but I thought there were a few plays that really highlighted where, on an individual level, our players are not up for MLS-quality attacking play. Links to video in the min markers below

44th Min - Clark receives the ball with time in the middle of the field and has Klimala making a run into acres of space behind the Columbus defense. He plays it too close to the one remaining defender in a position to make a play, and the attack is dead. Once A Metro noted in their tactical preview that this is exactly the kind of run Klimala likes to make from this position. Clark should have ready and able to execute better here.

48th Min - Tolkin forces an excellent turnover in the middle of the field and has a 3v2 break the other way. With Omir wide open for a one touch finish, Tolkin makes the inexplicable decision to try and beat his defender 1v1 and doesn't even come close. Now I get it, I'm not sure I'd pass it to Omir if he was standing on the goal line for a tap in, but it still goes to show the immaturity in decision making from our young squad.

61st Min - Clark again finds himself with the ball, time, and space in the middle of the field. Klimala is making the exact same run that he did earlier and Clark sees him the entire way. He has about 35 yards of space to play the ball into, and somehow manages to overhit it over the end line. 

With the 2015-2018 team, I fully believe the Red Bulls have 2 or possibly 3 goals out of these chances, and the game is put away before Columbus has a chance to muster up a late-game resurgence. Clark is not a #10, never has been and any expectations for him to be the one to carry our midfield were unfounded.

All that said, I think we finally got a game out of Klimala that showed signs of hope. Scored a non-penalty goal, took an excellent volley to almost score a second, and moved much sharper off the ball.

i still watch the pass in the 44th minute and want to poke my eyes out.  at worse he hits it straight and Klimala has a good shot of running into the box though defender will be on him.  Play it with outside of right foot or left foot and its a clear 1v1.  But we couldnt even do the mediocre option right

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Not sure where all the doom and gloom is coming from.   To make the play offs, it looks like we only need as many points from the final 13 games as we got in the first 21.  If we match Nashville's record so far for the rest of the season, we should be fine.  How hard can that be?  Nashville's just playing our rejects and a bunch of old guys.

Exactly as predicted.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users