22 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Btw, Seattle continue to be in trouble of missing the playoffs after a horrendous July/August stretch (3W, 1D, 8 L). Started September with 2 wins but lost to Vancouver this weekend. Would need a lot of points and a lot of help the rest of the way. 

And TFC, despite their big Italian players coming in the summer window, are eliminated. Who are the guys that wanted Bob to coach RBNY again?

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

And TFC, despite their big Italian players coming in the summer window, are eliminated. Who are the guys that wanted Bob to coach RBNY again?

He blew up the roster and had a shit first half of the season. Hard to expect them to turn it around, even with the stars.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

He blew up the roster and had a shit first half of the season. Hard to expect them to turn it around, even with the stars.

He didnt do much with LAFC last season either. Struber has this team in set up to finish with a home playoff match and hasnt had a real striker for a second hes been here.

Also, I thought the argument here was that summer signings work everywhere but here.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Relax. This is bob's first season with tor. For most of the season, he was getting rid of guys with big contracts that didnt fit his style. By the time he got reinforcements, it was too late. If he fixes that defensive line, they will be an MLS contender next year.

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Yeah, I'd rather have Toronto's roster heading in to the winter window. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Yeah, I'd rather have Toronto's roster heading in to the winter window. 

Im not saying I wouldnt, but Id rather have our coach.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Just wait until next year. Toronto will be a top 3 team in the East. Those big Italian players will have a proper offseason and full preseason together.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Relax. This is bob's first season with tor. For most of the season, he was getting rid of guys with big contracts that didnt fit his style. By the time he got reinforcements, it was too late. If he fixes that defensive line, they will be an MLS contender next year.

Thats kind of my point. Very few people on this board give a pass for summer signings not working, but if its Bob Bradley, suddenly there wasnt enough time for them to make a difference.

Our roster is poorly constructed because we have no viable forwards. Given that this was very evident going into the summer and we still didnt make a move is ridiculous. The fact that Struber still has us in the position he does is a testament to him as a coach.

I just dont think Bradley would have done as well. Lets not forget his LAFC team missed the playoffs last year too. I know they had injuries, but Strubers dealt with injured players too.

My post was directed to the few (or maybe one) that lamented Bob went to TFC instead of here.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Just wait until next year. Toronto will be a top 3 team in the East. Those big Italian players will have a proper offseason and full preseason together.

I dont disagree. They just need to sure up the defense and theyll be fine.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
I have more confidence in Toronto finding the pieces to take them to contender status, than I do in RBNY doing the same.

Everything is a slow burn here, but we never get above room temperature before the burner gets turned off.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Thats kind of my point. Very few people on this board give a pass for summer signings not working, but if its Bob Bradley, suddenly there wasnt enough time for them to make a difference.

To nitpick, nobody on this board is surprised when (very late and usually cheap) summer signings don't work, hence why we clamour for those signings to at least be made as early as possible. And/or in the winter (not spring) following a similar logic.

Haven't watched much of Toronto so don't know what the issue there is and can't comment on Bob's job so far. Usually spending helps but is not always an immediate cure to all problems. I will say it's easier to drop one missing piece into a roster doing well than bring multiple guys and change everything, especially mid-season.

And to be clear, I agree that Struber certainly deserves a lot of credit for dragging a forwardless roster to its current position.

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Adding Insigne to this roster in the summer would have made us a true MLS Cup contender. It's the Andreas Ivan's of the world that are shitty, useless summer acquisitions.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Our roster is poorly constructed because we have no viable forwards. Given that this was very evident going into the summer and we still didnt make a move is ridiculous. The fact that Struber still has us in the position he does is a testament to him as a coach.

I just dont think Bradley would have done as well. Lets not forget his LAFC team missed the playoffs last year too. I know they had injuries, but Strubers dealt with injured players too.

My post was directed to the few (or maybe one) that lamented Bob went to TFC instead of here.

insigne and bernardeschi has been great pick ups. jesus jimenez looks decent. Kaye and Henry were also good pick ups.

the issue with TFC is that they have almost a brand new team. i dont think you can judge him this season since there has been so much turn over. you have to give him another season to see if this team is heading in the right direction. 

what messed him up was the salcedo signing. it didnt look like he wanted to be there.  and he took too long to dump other high salary players like puzuelo 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

what messed him up was the salcedo signing. it didnt look like he wanted to be there.  and he took too long to dump other high salary players like puzuelo 

Salcedo was their Rafa. Some flashes but overall more of a pain in the ass than he was worth.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

bob's getting rid of guys with big contracts.

How much is Mikey making?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users