Charlestown Chiefs

Charlestown Chiefs

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order Hockey,Beer,Metro,Women
  • Supports:Metro/RB USMNT NY RANGERS BAYERN

Hoping for last place hockey at the rock for years to come. Time to start the 13-14 thread ?????

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

Let's start the 2013-2014 thread when camps open in September. At least let us milk this one through the rest of free agency/arbitration.

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Supports:Metro Liverpool Lokomotiv Sounders

A few things on Kovy..... He didn't F the Devils, he helped them. No longer is his massive and lengthy contract going to hold them down. Parise could of signed with the team if he wanted to, instead he went for the $$ & playing at home, Kovy's contract did not hamper this situation.

Kovy is Russian, obviously, so he is not going to get a tax free salary, he'll kick his Rubles into the Kremlin's coffers.

The UFA frenzy is over.... big whoop, it was a weak pool to begin with and there was no available close to the ilk of replacing the void of Kovy. Perhaps you missed out on getting in on the Perron trade but aside from that, the pickings were slim. However, there are many teams looking to make a big deal to free up cap space, some big names are being shopped and the Devils have just become suitor number 1 and with a bevy of $$ to play with, Lou is in the drivers seat. I hate the Devils but there is no better GM then Lou and with the stroke he has now, he's going to land the Devils what they need, which could also include a 1st rounder for next season.

Devils are in a good shape.... sucks to lose out on a franchise player but his Luongo styled contract coming off the books for chump change, 250,000..... that's not bad at all... could be a much worse situation, i.e. Luongo or even the laughable Alexi Yashin.

Metrostars FC -- "The hardest FC in the world"
Метро Красное Общество Звезды

If only all footballers were like David Bentley

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts
  • Supports:My local MLS team

A few things on Kovy..... He didn't F the Devils, he helped them. No longer is his massive and lengthy contract going to hold them down. 

Kovy_zps6bcf2ed4.jpg

Loyal supporter of the 2013, 2015, and 2018 MLS Champions: RBNY/Metro
RBNY II aka "The Baby Bulls" are the 2016 USL Cup Champions!
Playoffs are stupid in soccer and I don't care if that hurts your feelings.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,011 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Several Star-Ledger articles on topic:

http://www.nj.com/de..._to_russia.html

http://www.nj.com/de...g_from_nhl.html

http://www.nj.com/de...the_devils.html

http://www.nj.com/de..._kovalchuk.html

http://www.nj.com/de...ls_and_nhl.html

http://www.nj.com/de...uks_mother.html

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Kovy is Russian, obviously, so he is not going to get a tax free salary, he'll kick his Rubles into the Kremlin's coffers.

You are the board's expert on Russia so you probably know the situation better than I, but I remember Putin saying that any NHL star who came back to the KHL would get a tax free salary as a way to entice players to return to Russia. If that is the case than Kovy's decision makes perfect sense.

Let's Go Buffalo!!!

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
That's exactly what Putin said, plus those Russians who came back to the KHL from the NHL would have salaries that wouldn't count against a team's salary cap.

F U NYCFC

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

You are the board's expert on Russia so you probably know the situation better than I, but I remember Putin saying that any NHL star who came back to the KHL would get a tax free salary as a way to entice players to return to Russia. If that is the case than Kovy's decision makes perfect sense.

You're right, Putin did extend that offer to anyone who stayed in the league. Since Kovy went back to the NHL, I honestly don't know if the offer is still on the table so to speak. 

Even if Kovy did pay taxes, SKA St Petersburg is owned by Gazprom (Russian Oil) and I'm sure the links between the league, team & Kremlin will see Kovy living a good life, taxes or no taxes.  I'm sure he will be comfortable for a very, very long time..... although I wouldn't be shocked to see him traded in a few years if SKA doesn't lift the Gagarin Cup..... a feat that is going to become even more difficult thanks to the influx of new Western Euro teams coming into the league.

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Sorry for the double post.....   Being a Sabers fan, what's up with Vanek & Miller ?  Traded during the offseason or held onto for a deal at the deadline ?  Good luck to the Sabers, always loved the sense of community that the team has...just miss the old Aud.

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

So, I'm writing a three-part series predicting Team USA's roster for Sochi. The first part is coming out Monday (I think). If anyone is actually interested in reading it, let me know and I'll post the link. If not, then I won't and no worries. 

F U NYCFC

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

So, I'm writing a three-part series predicting Team USA's roster for Sochi. The first part is coming out Monday (I think). If anyone is actually interested in reading it, let me know and I'll post the link. If not, then I won't and no worries. 

Drop the link, nothing wrong with some extra puck info.

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
So, here's the first part of a three part series where I project the US Olympic roster. Hope to do the second part over the course of this week: http://bloguin.com/p...oaltenders.html

F U NYCFC

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,011 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Jagr?  Devils?  Really?

At least it's only a one-year deal.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ig101

ig101

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Jagr?  Devils?  Really?

Cory Schneider got invite to US Olympic team camp, that's good.  He was a very good signing for NJD this off season.

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Jagr?  Devils?  Really?

DeBoer's system should suit him well and keep him off the IR list.

If he helps to get the Devils into the playoffs, bonus.... if not, he's dealt at the deadline for a 3rd or 4th round pick, bonus.  Nothing to lose by taking him onto the team, especially as he is good in the locker room and the Dev's up and comers can learn a few things from him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users