93 replies to this topic

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Last year's class was relatively weak outside the first few picks.

I think you will see a lot of guys stick with MLS and USL affiliates for at least a few years with this group. Rookie of the Year candidates will likely be HGPs. No true standout and nobody dominated the Combine.

On one level, it's surprising to me that only two Rookies of the Year have been homegrowns - Najar in 2010 and Morris in 2016.

On another, it's not that surprising, because the most talented homegrowns are usually being signed at ages too young to make a huge impact in MLS immediately.  The draft then features more developed, but less talented, guys who go through 4 years of college and are more productive upon their professional arrival.

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
Grella? Or was he doing finance?

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Grella? Or was he doing finance?

Grella had played a full season for Carolina the year before coming to us, so I'd be surprised if he was doing something serious in finance.  Are you thinking of Stammler retiring to go to business school at UChicago?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Grella had played a full season for Carolina the year before coming to us, so I'd be surprised if he was doing something serious in finance.  Are you thinking of Stammler retiring to go to business school at UChicago?

Thought Grella was a finance guy at Duke, maybe not

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Draft time.  Ives has pointed out over the last couple of days that a lot of these internationals in the draft are very likely to fall considering so many teams don't really have international spots nowadays. Have to consider us in that same boat. 

Best player available... SO many of these kids won't evolve into MLS players so it's really just about finding the ones who will, regardless of position.  (Except Keeper)

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I wonder what Leo Stolz is up to now...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I wonder what Leo Stolz is up to now...

Funny how that stuff works.  I remember everyone talking him up so much and then watching the first game, being blown away by Davis and thinking Stolz had so few traits that would translate.  

Last year we blew our pick on Zeiko who had the physical traits and the work rate, but not the head.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Funny how that stuff works.  I remember everyone talking him up so much and then watching the first game, being blown away by Davis and thinking Stolz had so few traits that would translate.  

Last year we blew our pick on Zeiko who had the physical traits and the work rate, but not the head.

i actually liked that pick even though it didn't work out.  young, hungry kid with the physical skills (you can't teach speed).  it didn't work out, but we should do something similar this year. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

i actually liked that pick even though it didn't work out.  young, hungry kid with the physical skills (you can't teach speed).  it didn't work out, but we should do something similar this year. 

Yep, understood the idea.

Gonna be a bit more interesting this year with that Leipzig dude heading up our scouting.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

It started already...

Oh joy, Ali's frowning face.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
I kinda hope the draft goes in the next 5/10 Years and teams can just negotiate with whoever.

Its not just us but 95% of the 92 total draft picks will never even see the first team field and most are 1/2 usl years and then back to get a real job.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Funniest part so far is that Minnesota and Montreal both got better deals for the #4 and #5 picks in the draft respectively than DC got for the #3 pick.  So good.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Funniest part so far is that Minnesota and Montreal both got better deals for the #4 and #5 picks in the draft respectively than DC got for the #3 pick.  So good.

I'm astounded at how much draft picks are still going for these days... The influx of TAM has diluted the value of allocation money a little bit, but the quality of players even higher up in the draft seems to be dropping just as fast.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I'm astounded at how much draft picks are still going for these days... The influx of TAM has diluted the value of allocation money a little bit, but the quality of players even higher up in the draft seems to be dropping just as fast.

same, though I think last year was a weaker draft class.  Really interesting to see how this draft class looks in 2-3 years.  The domestic vs international GA thing will be interesting to watch in the future as well (for what teams value more).  The cap savings from being a GA is worth less now than its ever been. 

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund
  • Supports:MetroStars
Petke interviewed on MLSSoccer.com while Ali Curtis looks on...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/unFLKoAV3TkXe" width="360" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gi...e-unFLKoAV3TkXe">via GIPHY</a></p>

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users