• PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:33 AM

http://www.sportsbus...m/article/63688

MLS leaving MLBAM, taking sites in-house

By Tripp Mickle
SportsBusiness Journal – October 5, 2009

Major League Soccer is following in the footsteps of its more established brethren, bringing its Web site and team sites in-house after a six-year partnership with MLB Advanced Media.

The move is the latest effort by MLS to consolidate control and take a leadership position in the soccer landscape. The league hopes to increase the revenue it generates for MLS online through the syndication of content and creation of new subscription products, but also by developing an infrastructure to support other soccer sites and soccer properties. If successful, it would become something akin to a Soccer Advanced Media.

MLS plans to unveil its new Web platform in March before the start of the 2010 season. New team sites will follow.

The cost of bringing the sites in-house and developing the infrastructure to support them will be in the millions, Abbott said. Immediate costs include developing a technology platform to host and promote the sites, hiring an editorial staff to provide content for the site and hiring staff for a business unit to sell and market the sites.

MLS plans to hire a sales staff in November and an editorial staff in January. It already has hired Shawn Francis, the founder of soccer blog Offside Rules, to serve in an editorial role and digital media consultancy Rocket Fuel to advise it during the transition.

Rocket Fuel is headed by former AOL creative chief Michael Wolfson and advised the NHL on its recent redesign.

#2 jogadubwise

jogadubwise

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Liverpool

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:51 PM

Good news, especially the hiring of Shawn Francis.
QUOTE (chicubfan @ May 29 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I interned in the FO for a little while and trust me they are so dumb had they payed off the refs they probably would have presented them one of those huge checks during halftime on the field.

QUOTE (joey @ Oct 8 2009, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
halloween specific stadium.

#3 AcmeComics

AcmeComics

Player/Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts
  • Interests:Tiki mugs, exotic meats and cheeses, comic books, lego, lounge music, robots, vampires, kung fu movies, kaiju non-sense, 50's sci-fi art....you know the usual stuff.
  • Supports:Fire, Bayern, DFB, Arsenal

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:03 PM

great..... another thing to be excited about at first and then we can woefully lag behind every other team
you can't give the cow away and expect the last person to buy it back for you

#4 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:47 PM

It's still sad we were so far ahead of everyone ca. 2003, and then everyone standardized. Then Seattle, etc said "screw that" and few remember we were ahead of the curve.

#5 m311ton

m311ton

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

I hope the means they will make some improvements to the MLS Fantasy game...

#6 Section 8 El Guapo

Section 8 El Guapo

Player/Manager

• S8 Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire...Beer....Women....Beer....Section 8....Beer....Women.....New England Sucks......Beer....Duck Fallas....Beer.....
  • Supports:Your mom at Polkatz

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:56 PM

I hope the means they will make some improvements to the MLS Fantasy game...

I can finally draft Dispy as my second defender.
WB05

UNA VIDA...UNA MUERTE...UN CLUB

#7 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:58 PM

Don't suppose there's been much more news on this? I know they've hired more people to handle the in-house media portion, and that mid Feb was the new league-wide target for rollout. Some other teams have reached out to fans for feedback on the transition but it's been pretty quiet here that I can see.

#8 goldstone97

goldstone97

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Albion, Red Stars

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:10 PM

The Fire have their new site in the works. I think they have two employees to work exclusively on it. They asked us this week if we had ideas for updates to the supporters page, we gave them a little feedback but hopefully we can do a lot more in the future, and it sounds like the new framework will allow them much more flexibility, including to promote our events etc.
Section 8 Chicago Chair

WB05 :: Pitch Invasion

#9 Section 8 El Guapo

Section 8 El Guapo

Player/Manager

• S8 Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire...Beer....Women....Beer....Section 8....Beer....Women.....New England Sucks......Beer....Duck Fallas....Beer.....
  • Supports:Your mom at Polkatz

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:16 PM

The Fire have their new site in the works. I think they have two employees to work exclusively on it. They asked us this week if we had ideas for updates to the supporters page, we gave them a little feedback but hopefully we can do a lot more in the future, and it sounds like the new framework will allow them much more flexibility, including to promote our events etc.

A cool video intro showing a bird's eye view of Toyota Park in action at...71st and Harlem would be nice.
WB05

UNA VIDA...UNA MUERTE...UN CLUB

#10 mactheknife

mactheknife

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Supports:fire, charlton, PSG, rangers

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:47 AM

And first striker, and goalkeeper, and left-winger, and...
this guy...this fuckin guy

#11 firesting81

firesting81

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Supports:FIRE - DM Menace - Fulham

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:41 PM

It's still sad we were so far ahead of everyone ca. 2003, and then everyone standardized. Then Seattle, etc said "screw that" and few remember we were ahead of the curve.

So true. I was literally depressed when they went to the league-wide format. Our old site was light-years ahead of the crap they trot out now. Remember highlights in QuickTime?

#12 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

http://tribeagency.c...io/chicagofire/
http://tribeagency.c...be_fire_web.pdf

#13 WB05 Karl

WB05 Karl

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:gonzo art criticism, boozes, chicago punk rock, throwing stuff of porches, ruining people's parties, stuff that's loud, Patrick Nagel
  • Supports:the goddamn chicago fire

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

Tribe was so great. We really were way ahead of the curve. Great site, easy to navigate, clean design.

Also, lest we forget the Curtin Call feature...
:::democracy is not a happy idealistic society were everything is free hugs and freebasing coke in stairwells while police watch (that happens in frankfurt germany). it has it's ups and downs like everything. - WB05 Brandon:::

jawbreaker, constantly.

#14 WB05 Karl

WB05 Karl

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:gonzo art criticism, boozes, chicago punk rock, throwing stuff of porches, ruining people's parties, stuff that's loud, Patrick Nagel
  • Supports:the goddamn chicago fire

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

The Botswanan Bombshell!!
:::democracy is not a happy idealistic society were everything is free hugs and freebasing coke in stairwells while police watch (that happens in frankfurt germany). it has it's ups and downs like everything. - WB05 Brandon:::

jawbreaker, constantly.

#15 Paolo

Paolo

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, Querétaro FC

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

http://tribeagency.c...io/chicagofire/
http://tribeagency.c...be_fire_web.pdf

Damn. I'd forgotten how great the site always looked during those years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users