Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

That's what I'm hearing on twitter as to how we went at MTL today in the 3 period scrimmage.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Article on official site implies that 4-2-2-2 will be an option:

http://www.newyorkre...ical-setup-2016

“We need to be able to have a “Plan B” when we play against teams,” McCarty said after the team’s 5-0 win over the Montreal Impact on Thursday. “We dominated a lot of games last year playing the way that we play and the style that we play. But we saw in the playoffs that our attack became a little bit stale. Teams are going to scout us; they’re going to know how to play against a formation that we’re very good at. But if we can have a different plan of attack, if we can switch up our formation a little bit, if we can play with two forwards to show teams a different setup, I think we can become very dangerous.”

Learning from mistakes?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Article on official site implies that 4-2-2-2 will be an option:

http://www.newyorkre...ical-setup-2016

Learning from mistakes?

Amen. Most important thing they will do this preseason.   Not taking making the playoffs for granted, but that is what you really need to prepare for.  

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Jesse specifically said Columbus adjusted to us and tried to stop us that way, and instead we just tried to play our system better. He had said that instead of playing to disrupt the other team, we would just make our system better. So, someone must of talked sense into the guy because that was never a good answer.

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York
Yeah, if I could ask one thing of the team it is to learn to "be multiple" (as they say in pointy-ball) on offense. 451/442/433, whatever it is, we need to play high press sometimes, and counter other times. Up tempo, medium tempo, on the ground vs in the air, etc. We don't need 10 styles, just 2-3 we can be respectable at; Whatever works best w our talent, just figure that out & have options. We can't be great at three or four styles, but we should at least have some ability to succeed at plan b, plan c.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

part of our lackluster play in the playoffs was always repeated by the players when interviewed, they were tired. yet they always said that they were good pros and had to fight through this.

in the end, we had 7 guys that played a SHIT LOAD of matches out of the 34 league, 3 Open Cup and 4 MLSPlayoff games total. i like what jesse has done for this team, but he sure did run them into the fucking ground. i get that Leipzig and Salzburg use the empty bucket, but maybe had we rotated in Davis, SWP and Veron more, would we perpetually see Dax and Sacha say into a mic, "Yeah, sure we were tired, but we soldier on, etc".

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

the more things change, the more they change the same. Petke and Backe loved running their players into the ground as well. And you can only blame the salary cap so much when a kid like Davis -- who would start for almost any other team in MLS -- is barely playing.

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

part of our lackluster play in the playoffs was always repeated by the players when interviewed, they were tired. yet they always said that they were good pros and had to fight through this.

in the end, we had 7 guys that played a SHIT LOAD of matches out of the 34 league, 3 Open Cup and 4 MLSPlayoff games total. i like what jesse has done for this team, but he sure did run them into the fucking ground. i get that Leipzig and Salzburg use the empty bucket, but maybe had we rotated in Davis, SWP and Veron more, would we perpetually see Dax and Sacha say into a mic, "Yeah, sure we were tired, but we soldier on, etc".

Backe did the same with his guys.

#RedBullOut

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York
I think the thing about MLS is that you always hear teams saying they aren't selling out to win the supporters' shield, but, you do get home field without the playoffs, so they do push for it at least in the final few weeks.

If they didn't try hard and rested guys, half of us would say that they were slacking off and not taking a trophy seriously, and get mad. Instead, they pushed to at least win as much as they could, and guys played in September when they should've been resting.

We can argue about Petke & Backe, but Marsch's team might have been deeper; or, at least more intelligently constructed top to bottom on the roster, since we tended to have mis-matched parts in the past at times (Thanks, shitty GMs).

So, with Abang, Veron, Davis & others, last year we had some chance to do this. With the kids we have signed and a pretty solid roster (CBs aside), it seems in 2016 we have a reasonable opportunity to rotate. Let's hope we do it.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
Honestly, I don't read all that much into us losing in the playoffs. We proved we were one of the elite teams in MLS over nine months of games. We lost over a two game sample size against a similarly strong team, coming fractions of an inch from sending the series into extra time.

I'd like to see more squad rotation because we have the talent and I think it's a good idea to work on new formations and tactics to be a more versatile team, but I definitely think our foundation is strong.

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

Honestly, I don't read all that much into us losing in the playoffs. We proved we were one of the elite teams in MLS over nine months of games. We lost over a two game sample size against a similarly strong team, coming fractions of an inch from sending the series into extra time.

I'd like to see more squad rotation because we have the talent and I think it's a good idea to work on new formations and tactics to be a more versatile team, but I definitely think our foundation is strong.

Ehhhh. Jesse was outcoached quite a bit. Losing Perrinelle really did us in though.

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

We need an alternative system to turn to when the high pressure system we always use is defended against effectively.  The players need to be versed and comfortable in the new system - meaning we need to use it in preseason games and work it into regular season games.  Jesse's system was new last year and I understand him going with what worked but now a year later it is time to diversify our approach.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Yeah, we may have pulled one back and nearly got another one at the end, but in that series, Columbus was much better than the final score showed.  We were just outcoached.  Robles was the only reason we didn't lose the series by 3-4 goals.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Out coached, tired legs, bad breaks on some shots... all true.  But we had to implement an entirely new system from scratch.   Trying to mix in alternate formations, and experimenting with player rotations would have been a recipe for failure.  Now we have the system established and we know who plays best where and with whom, so we can mix it up more and add in variation.    Winning both the Shield and the Cup in the first year  isn't exactly a realistic expectation.  This year we can afford to maybe come in second or third in the regular season as we work on new stuff, and bet on the new stuff coming together - with fresh legs - for the Cup run.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Ehhhh. Jesse was outcoached quite a bit. Losing Perrinelle really did us in though.

Learning curve. Whenever you get a regime change, there is a lot of discovery to be made, including for the coach if he isn't a deeply established veteran. 

I expect improvement from the coach's box as much as anywhere.

What I saw against Montreal yesterday was very encouraging. Not only did we see new formations being tried out, but the effort to integrate more players was welcome versus the typical 1st team/H1, 2nd team/H2 dynamic. 

We also have a real advantage over teams like Montreal in that many of our "newcomers" (HGP's) aren't really new. They have come up through a development system and many of them have had the chance to rub shoulders with and occasionally train with the first team. They will still have a learning curve to adopt to the level of play in MLS, but likely less so than  teams who have a less mature feeder system.

We know we have a good team, we don't need to win the Supporters Shield again to prove that (though I would be happy if they did). I am happy to forgo the Shield if it increases our chances of securing a Cup (MLS and Open) and good progress in CCL .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users