239 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,196 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Lost 3-0 to Louisville in a Eastern Conference Final rematch.

http://www.courier-j...Key=&autologin=

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

Well, the II's suck this year.  Not that it bothers me either because the ONLY goal of the team is to develop guys for the first team.  And at least in other sports, there doesn't seem to be a big correlation between wins and developing players.

Anyway the biggest issue is the back line.  Bilyeu stinks no matter where you put him and Ndam is lost as far as positioning goes.  You can have one developmental guy in Ndam, but the guy next to him has to be more of a steadying force.  And as time goes, he'll hopefully get better with the mental part of the game.  Every physical tool is there.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,680 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

Well, the II's suck this year.  Not that it bothers me either because the ONLY goal of the team is to develop guys for the first team.  And at least in other sports, there doesn't seem to be a big correlation between wins and developing players.

Anyway the biggest issue is the back line.  Bilyeu stinks no matter where you put him and Ndam is lost as far as positioning goes.  You can have one developmental guy in Ndam, but the guy next to him has to be more of a steadying force.  And as time goes, he'll hopefully get better with the mental part of the game.  Every physical tool is there.

Unfortunately our backline is the main problem.

We rank in the top few teams with goals scored but our first team won't be assisted by our reserve team on the backline. We have allowed more goals than any other team and it would be worse without Diaz/Louro.

Ndam isn't too impressive, Bilyeu just isn't cutting it, Schmoll is slow, Abidor is converted from DM, Najem only shows flashes every once in a while. Scarlett hasn't had much time, Lombard still out injured. Kutler conversion to back still a project.

Our best backs are HGPs: Kevin OToole (with II), Mason Deeds, Marcelo Borges, Kevin Politz and Kyle Zajec (all with the U23s). Noah Powder, should he come back, would easily fit in to this team.
2013 & 2015 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

Well supposedly Powder may come back so yeah, having him over Najem will be good.  Najem is strange in that he looks really good at times, but then there are other times where it's just bad.

The biggest issue is CB.  And Bilyeu is a problem.  He's not athletic enough to make a difference at left back with the first team, and he's just not defensively good enough(also not rugged enough in my opinion) to play CB, although they are giving him every chance of doing so.  

Ndam is worth investing the time into because the upside is so extremely good I believe.  Just wish we had a guy next to him that you could just trust to do a nice job and be steady. Like you said, Abidor ijust isn't very good at this point and Schmoll is really slow and isn't exactly athletic.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

The biggest issue is CB.  And Bilyeu is a problem.  He's not athletic enough to make a difference at left back with the first team, and he's just not defensively good enough(also not rugged enough in my opinion) to play CB, although they are giving him every chance of doing so.

Maybe Bilyeu should try the Championship...

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I'd be amazed if Bilyeu ever makes his way back to the first team, or MLS at all.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

I'd be amazed if Bilyeu ever makes his way back to the first team, or MLS at all.

Hopefully we can sign an another academy player to take his roster spot, seems a waste

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,680 posts
Bilyeu does have some raw talent and a very good cross. If the team was serious about his progression, he would be playing left back every week.

Instead they either rate O'Toole higher or they are waiting for Scarlett and/or Lombard to come back from injury so that they can slide Bilyeu out.

@CurseofCaricola

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Bilyeu does have some raw talent and a very good cross. If the team was serious about his progression, he would be playing left back every week.

Instead they either rate O'Toole higher or they are waiting for Scarlett and/or Lombard to come back from injury so that they can slide Bilyeu out.

I'm guessing they don't think he has the speed/stamina to play fullback in Marsch's system and they're giving him time to see if he can make conversion to CB.  He's 6'2" so he has the frame to be a CB.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

I'm guessing they don't think he has the speed/stamina to play fullback in Marsch's system and they're giving him time to see if he can make conversion to CB.  He's 6'2" so he has the frame to be a CB.

Exactly this.  He has a good cross, but he's not athletic/fast enough.  That can be OK if Bilyeu was so far ahead with his defensive instincts to make up for it, but he's not.  Bilyeu is a bit of a tweener and good at neither position so I don't think it's going to work with him.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Exactly this.  He has a good cross, but he's not athletic/fast enough.  That can be OK if Bilyeu was so far ahead with his defensive instincts to make up for it, but he's not.  Bilyeu is a bit of a tweener and good at neither position so I don't think it's going to work with him.

As long as he's not taking minutes or a roster spot from another CB prospect, I'm cool with them giving him a shot to learn the position. I don't know if that's what they're doing or if they just don't have anyone else and he's a body.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

As long as he's not taking minutes or a roster spot from another CB prospect, I'm cool with them giving him a shot to learn the position. I don't know if that's what they're doing or if they just don't have anyone else and he's a body.

This is what I think they are doing and normally I agree with this, but I wonder if it hurts Ndam's development.  They have other bodies whether it be Schmoll or Abidor.  I think they are giving Bilyeu the time because he's MLS level with his passing.  He has the size for CB, he's just not rugged and he doesn't have the natural defensive instincts for CB.  I don't think you can learn that.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

This is what I think they are doing and normally I agree with this, but I wonder if it hurts Ndam's development.  They have other bodies whether it be Schmoll or Abidor.  I think they are giving Bilyeu the time because he's MLS level with his passing.  He has the size for CB, he's just not rugged and he doesn't have the natural defensive instincts for CB.  I don't think you can learn that.

ehh I wouldn't worry about that as Ndam is a 2 year project.  Just like Adams played 2 years for NYRB 2 and Miazga had 2 yrs development time.  

Give Bilyeau a decent time to develop.  Who knows maybe he could be Long like and grow into it.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,680 posts
Adam Najem with a goal and an assist as Bethlehem Steel beat us 2-0.

"Thats So Metro"

D looked bad again. Diaz made some good stops to prevent a couple goals but the two he gave up he was in a poor position.

@CurseofCaricola

Frog

Frog

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Little to no offense for the second game in a row (both at home nonetheless), and a defense that is in disarray.  Things are not pretty with NYRB2 right now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users