184 replies to this topic

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

I'm OK with the "better to sell too soon than too late."  BWP was hardly a sure thing going into this season, in any system (and its usually a failure when you have to adjust the system to the players).   The shame is on not having his replacement(s)  lined up and ready to produce.   

I'm totally on board with that idea too. It's just telling that he completely fell apart here last season, but all of a sudden, he's plugged into a functional system, and he's scoring at a rate better than he did throughout his time here.

Getting rid of him was the right move for all parties. I'm glad that he's continuing to find success, but I'm frustrated that it was never going to be able to happen here.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

all of a sudden, he's plugged into a functional system

Us not having a functional system is the problem...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

This reminds me of when the team traded DeRo for Dax and he won the MVP that year

Except for the part where we acquired Dax.

As I've said already, getting rid of BWP was probably the right move. Not replacing him was a fucking indefensible one. 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

We got good value for Dax, at the time $400k in allocation money was one of the highest valued trades in MLS history. That didn't last long as expansion clubs started to dish out allocation money like candy, but at the time it was a sizable return. And as much as I love Dax, he hasn't been the dominant player he was for us since he left.

The Kljestan trade was more suspect but we still got at least something. We took a flyer on two young guys, Rivas and Redding, who unfortunately flopped so hard we might as well have gotten nothing. That's the risk with young players sometimes though. And like Dax, Kljestan has regressed a bit since leaving.

BWP is the only one where we truly lost something for nothing. It was essentially a salary dump, but what good is that if you don't give that salary to another player...

That's an interesting way to look at these trades.We dumped talent, but got some money we didn't use. Who cares we got allocation money if we didn't end up using it for a better player? Ended up with inferior player Davis for 3 years as a starter, and a weaker bench than if Davis was there. And literally paid money for a team to take Sacha for two guys we didn't use. And btw, LA wanted Sacha too, so he was actually in some demand, like Dax, yet we ended up with nothing. Good value is when you trade players and end up with better ones as a result. When you trade them and don't get back better players as a result, you didn't exactly "sell". You just lost.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

As others have corrected, we got a lot of money for Dax, and history has shown the merits of making room for Adams.   

Sacha was a salary dump, and we won the shield the next season without him.    If anyone was willing to give us something more for him, we certainly would have taken it.

It's remarkable how people want to put rose colored glasses on sometimes and ignore the reality. And the reality is we ended up with jack shit to show for Sacha and Dax. I don't care how much funny money we got or actual money in pockets of RB ownership. We under-spent for years compared to others, bottom 5 year after year. What did we get in terms of player value to show for Sacha and Dax? Other teams got starters for years to come. We just lost good players and that's really it.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Add Lawrence too to this list. A lone all star from last year. Wanted to make a little more money, but would be happy to stay. We traded him and ultimately got Pendant, after going completely cheap with Seagrist. And even Pendant has ways to go to get to anywhere near that level. We literally had to do nothing to have a better player, aside from giving Taxi a raise, which quite frankly he earned.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Except for the part where we acquired Dax.

As I've said already, getting rid of BWP was probably the right move. Not replacing him was a fucking indefensible one. 

I actually thought LA signed BWP on the cheap, but they didn't: https://www.sportekz...ayers-salaries/ . According to the above, paid 1.2 mil. BWP definitely played like garbage last year, so can't really blame FO for not keeping him, but looks like LAFC brass knew something ours didn't. It's another case though where we saved a lot of money, but didn't really do anything with it to upgrade forward position.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
Theres no point going over the Dax stuff again.

Sacha was never going to happy with coming off the bench , which is what his role would have been since he wasnt as good as Kaku in 2018. We needed CB help and a backup striker at that point, we took a flyer on two young guys, one of which was a youth USMNT player, that didnt pan out - it happens.

And Lawrence and Murillo both wanted to go to Europe for years. Lawrence had opportunities, but was held back by Jamaicas low FIFA ranking. You cant hold guys hostage.

The rose colored glasses are being worn by the people that think you can get a lot of value for guys 33+, like Sacha & BWP were when they left.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

I actually thought LA signed BWP on the cheap, but they didn't: https://www.sportekz...ayers-salaries/ . According to the above, paid 1.2 mil. BWP definitely played like garbage last year, so can't really blame FO for not keeping him, but looks like LAFC brass knew something ours didn't. It's another case though where we saved a lot of money, but didn't really do anything with it to upgrade forward position.

That website is wrong. $1.2 million was his base salary here last season.

He signed with LAFC after a trial - there's not a chance in hell he's getting paid anything close to that.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

That website is wrong. $1.2 million was his base salary here last season.

He signed with LAFC after a trial - there's not a chance in hell he's getting paid anything close to that.

Yeah, you are right, that makes more sense too. I thought somehow LAFC may have known something our FO didn't, but that's unlikely. After the way he looked last year, there is no way he gets 1.2 mil. Your explanation makes more sense. Still though, that's 1.2 mil off our books from last season. Could have given 100K or two of that to Lawrence at least and kept him plus get a million dollar striker.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

That's an interesting way to look at these trades.We dumped talent, but got some money we didn't use. Who cares we got allocation money if we didn't end up using it for a better player? Ended up with inferior player Davis for 3 years as a starter, and a weaker bench than if Davis was there. And literally paid money for a team to take Sacha for two guys we didn't use. And btw, LA wanted Sacha too, so he was actually in some demand, like Dax, yet we ended up with nothing. Good value is when you trade players and end up with better ones as a result. When you trade them and don't get back better players as a result, you didn't exactly "sell". You just lost.

Gotcha I thought you were referring solely to the trades themselves, not necessarily how they panned out down the line. If I sell my beater car for $50k then I most definitely sold it for good value, even if I piss the money away after the fact. So if I'm wearing rose-tinted glasses, you've definitely got your Captain Hindsight cape on lol

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Theres no point going over the Dax stuff again.

Sacha was never going to happy with coming off the bench , which is what his role would have been since he wasnt as good as Kaku in 2018. We needed CB help and a backup striker at that point, we took a flyer on two young guys, one of which was a youth USMNT player, that didnt pan out - it happens.

And Lawrence and Murillo both wanted to go to Europe for years. Lawrence had opportunities, but was held back by Jamaicas low FIFA ranking. You cant hold guys hostage.

The rose colored glasses are being worn by the people that think you can get a lot of value for guys 33+, like Sacha & BWP were when they left.

For BWP the point here was that he should have been replaced for the money saved. How is that rose colored glasses, that's pretty reasonable course of action, no?

As far a Sacha, just keep him on the bench if you can't find a deal. He was still a serviceable player. He ended up a starter in Orlando and played well. And LA wanted him too. How is it rose colored glasses when we literally LOST 150K on that trade? Orlando had us on that trade, as simple as that. Doing nothing would have been better. Not picking up Sacha's contract would have been better.

I understand you mentioned rose colored glasses since I used that statement, but this simply makes no sense. We lost Dax and Sacha for nothing in return, didn't replace BWP, and replaced Taxi in off-season, who was willing to stay but wanted a raise, with Seagrist. Later added Pendant, who is still no where near the all star level. No, expecting more is not rose colored glasses. Thinking we made out well with this is.

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

Red bull needs to sell this team, if they don't want to operate it at professional level

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Gotcha I thought you were referring solely to the trades themselves, not necessarily how they panned out down the line. If I sell my beater car for $50k then I most definitely sold it for good value, even if I piss the money away after the fact. So if I'm wearing rose-tinted glasses, you've definitely got your Captain Hindsight cape on lol

I was just upset we lost good players and didn't get much back in these cases. When we traded Felipe and got Parker, then resigned him, I was pretty happy. But to pay Kemar, who is all star, 384K, and then when asked for a raise, replace him with Seagrist is just not the move I would have made even without benefit of hindsight. Or go into the season with White and Barlow as striker after dropping BWP's 1.4 mil comp. And I think you know by now I would have kept Dax :)

Sacha is really the only one where at the time I was hopeful Rivas and Redding would be good, without knowing too much about them. Turned out Orlando knew better ... in hindsight!

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

For BWP the point here was that he should have been replaced for the money saved. How is that rose colored glasses, that's pretty reasonable course of action, no?

As far a Sacha, just keep him on the bench if you can't find a deal. He was still a serviceable player. He ended up a starter in Orlando and played well. And LA wanted him too. How is it rose colored glasses when we literally LOST 150K on that trade? Orlando had us on that trade, as simple as that. Doing nothing would have been better. Not picking up Sacha's contract would have been better.

I understand you mentioned rose colored glasses since I used that statement, but this simply makes no sense. We lost Dax and Sacha for nothing in return, didn't replace BWP, and replaced Taxi in off-season, who was willing to stay but wanted a raise, with Seagrist. Later added Pendant, who is still no where near the all star level. No, expecting more is not rose colored glasses. Thinking we made out well with this is.

There is ZERO chance Sacha would have handled a bench role without causing problems. They got Redding, 12 years Sachas junior, for him. Redding was a 62 CB, a position of need, that had 30 appearances over three different levels of the USMNT youth teams. He was a AAA prospect that just didnt enjoy soccer enough to put the work in. The trade was worth the risk, if it worked, RB would have a CB starter for 10+ years.

The BIG difference between the Sacha trade and letting BWP go is they replaced Sacha with Kaku and BWP with... Barlow?

I love BWP. I think they should put a statue of him heel clicking outside RBA. Can you fault the team for not resigning a 34 year old coming off a 2 goals in 24 appearances season? I cant. But yea, they should have spent his DP salary on another DP striker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users