121 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I guess my complaint is about this system. Like if he is good enough to be great, we only get 2 half seasons? Regardless of the money, we dont spend, how is that a positive on the field.

Players should have to commit at least 3 seasons with the senior team before they can move on.

Good luck bringing star prospects into our academy in the first place with that policy.

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Good luck bringing star prospects into our academy in the first place with that policy.

make that any player

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

I guess my complaint is about this system. Like if he is good enough to be great, we only get 2 half seasons? Regardless of the money, we dont spend, how is that a positive on the field.

Players should have to commit at least 3 seasons with the senior team before they can move on.

lol that is against the way the league is moving but ok just make blanket statement and don't individualize

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Teams may not like this, either.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

What RBNY is to young prospects is basically what college hoops is...star players are "one and dones". Miazga wasn't a one and done per se, but had minimal games played in '14 (less than 5?), but was sold after his breakout yr in '15. 

If anything, young prospects will mimic Miazga's and Jozy's path rather than Tyler's. Happens all the time in CONMEBOL with guys bolting for Europe the 1st chance they get. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

What RBNY is to young prospects is basically what college hoops is...star players are "one and dones". Miazga wasn't a one and done per se, but had minimal games played in '14 (less than 5?), but was sold after his breakout yr in '15. 

If anything, young prospects will mimic Miazga's and Jozy's path rather than Tyler's. Happens all the time in CONMEBOL with guys bolting for Europe the 1st chance they get. 

Tyler only played two full seasons with first team

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
Food for thought:

If they could figure out the coaching situation and the rest of the roster, then a superstar prospect coming up through the academy is gravy.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Haji Wright faced similar issues.  Wanted to go to Europe but couldn't sign until he was 18.  He needed a team when he was 17 but, if I recall correctly, MLS wouldn't sign him to a 1 year deal.  So he signed with the Cosmos for 1 season.  When he turned 18, he signed for Schalke 04.  He's kind of bounced around for a few years with not much success, but he's having a good year now in Denmark, at age 22.

I sort of get MLS' position that they don't want to be that "one and done" league, but every player is different.  The better the player, the more realistic Europe might be and the more leverage the player has.  That's the category that Clark is in.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Food for thought:

If they could figure out the coaching situation and the rest of the roster, then a superstar prospect coming up through the academy is gravy.

To be honest it should always be gravy for the exact reason we're all saying - you only get these guys for two years at the most, three if you're incredibly lucky. The thought that we can consistently fill the top end of our roster with academy guys has been foolish of Red Bull.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

To be honest it should always be gravy for the exact reason we're all saying - you only get these guys for two years at the most, three if you're incredibly lucky. The thought that we can consistently fill the top end of our roster with academy guys has been foolish of Red Bull.

Exactly.

They should go into the off season pretending Clark doesnt exist...because pretty soon he wont.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

There is a Scuffed podcast with Clark's dad - dude seems a bit intense, but I thought it was enjoyable. Made RBNY look good, I'd say. The primary reason Caden came is that there was a direct path to Europe that was already established with Adams. 

Would recommend a listen. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

There is a Scuffed podcast with Clark's dad - dude seems a bit intense, but I thought it was enjoyable. Made RBNY look good, I'd say. The primary reason Caden came is that there was a direct path to Europe that was already established with Adams. 

Would recommend a listen. 

Really interesting to hear this directly from the source because its an aspect to the "evil overlord using us as a farm team" thing that grinds so many fan's gears but isn't talked about much. If not for the Leipzig pipeline there will be some seriously talented players that we would never get in the first place.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Really interesting to hear this directly from the source because its an aspect to the "evil overlord using us as a farm team" thing that grinds so many fan's gears but isn't talked about much. If not for the Leipzig pipeline there will be some seriously talented players that we would never get in the first place.

Agreed - good point Clark's dad made about the pipeline having multiple levels as well (e.g. Leipzig>Salzburg>New York>Bragintino) - for a young American it has to be nice to know that you can shoot to replicate Adams, but if you are not quite there, there is a Champions league stepping stone in Austria (with an American coach). 

If all MLS teams are going to sell youth, I think RB is set up to lure the best youth. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
We need to see more players like Adams and Clark go through the system in order to pull in the top youth players. Etienne Jr, Muyl, and guys have chips on their shoulders for being let go also have some influence locally.

The damage done to the academy by Hamlett has been largely repaired by McCafferty, but there are still many parents and players that were close to the fired coaches whom didn't see eye-to-eye with Hamlett (specifically Jeff Zaun) that feel the academy isn't the best path any longer and are going to Cedar Stars, PDA, etc... Fortunately there haven't been many guys the first team missed out on over the years (excluding Mason Toye, Henry Kessler).

Omre Etienne, Derrick's cousin, just jumped over to Columbus Crew's academy and has the talent to be a regular in MLS.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

We need to see more players like Adams and Clark go through the system in order to pull in the top youth players. Etienne Jr, Muyl, and guys have chips on their shoulders for being let go also have some influence locally.

More is better - yeah. But I have a tough time understanding how Etienne and Muyl  (or any aspiring player viewing Muyl and Etienne) would feel screwed over. They were given honest shots and didn't make the most of it. Would they rather be subs in NY or starters in Cbus and Nashville? 

BWP, Dax, Sasha, ect. were done dirty I think - but not Muyl and Etienne. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users