#1 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

I'm signed up for Timber Framing class, up in the NC mountains at the Cowee Timber Framing company and am considering doing some Urban Logging in order to get material for a couple projects I'm considering.

Urban Looging is where you "Treecycle"  one tree at a time.  You don't go out and purposely cut them down, but rather you look on Craigslist for "Free Firewood" from trees that have either been blown down by a storm or have been cut down for whatever purpose.

ONe of the first things you have to have is a 4x4 vehicle capable of doing some fairly heavy duty towing, like this video:  Jeep Cherokee Used for Logging

So much like my "Tree Hugger Transportion Thread", in which I sought out everyone's advice, and then did not listen to a damn thing that everyone told me - I'm looking for advice and infor on a 4x4 vehicle.

General Requirements:

- Needs to be low cost - I'm looking for an older model that has  a good reputation for long term performance

- Needs to have a good sized engine - It will need to be able to haul a tandem "Car Hauler" type trailer, along with a couple thousand pounds of logs

- Short wheel base is preferable to long wheel base - Needs to be able to get into tight spots in an urban environment.

#2 AnthonyNHB

AnthonyNHB

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

GMC makes a good truck for hauling and towing, however, it has a longer wheel base.  If you get an older V8, it has great power.  I'm thinking a 1500.

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Twitter: BigTony_42

#3 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

A pickup truck would certainly hold it's value better, but then it's also a larger initial outlay of cash.

I've always wanted a Jeep CJ or Wrangler, because they're cool, but I really wouldn't have much use for it.  They seem to hold their value as well.

Either I live in a Redneck section of the country or Jeep Cherokee's are much better sellers than I thought.

I've never particularly liked them all that much, but my mechanic has one, and I could pick up an older one in good enough shape for what I want to do for $5k.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users