16 replies to this topic

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

100% agreed. Moving Dax to make room for the next man up made sense because Adams was clearly an elite talent. Moving Muyl for the likes of the current RB2 group is a totally different story, none of those guys have shown even a flash of the potential Adams had.

same thing was said when dax was moved

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

same thing was said when dax was moved

No. Many disliked the move for emotional reasons or because we didn't get enough in return, but almost everyone agreed with the rationale behind it. http://www.soccerpub...opic=49346&st=0

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

No. Many disliked the move for emotional reasons or because we didn't get enough in return, but almost everyone agreed with the rationale behind it. http://www.soccerpub...opic=49346&st=0

Yep, sure. Tell yourself that. At the time, no one knew who adams was. And btw, Davis was the guy who replaced dax.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Yep, sure. Tell yourself that. At the time, no one knew who adams was. And btw, Davis was the guy who replaced dax.

There are time stamps, man. If you refuse to read or change your opinion based on facts, that's on you.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Adams was on everyone's radar after the Chelsea game, if not before.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Davis was definitely the replacement for Dax.  Anyone who paid attention closely knew Adams was a serious talent, but it was definitely not a given at that point.  Even in that thread people knew Davis as the next man up. 

I don't hate Muyl as much as some others, but I definitely don't see him as a significant loss.  He's just limited athletically.  Ultimately I don't think a team becomes great in MLS with him playing significant minutes.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Davis was definitely the replacement for Dax.  Anyone who paid attention closely knew Adams was a serious talent, but it was definitely not a given at that point.  Even in that thread people knew Davis as the next man up.

People assumed Davis was the next man up.  He started the first three games of the season and then was a sub in the next six, playing in only three of those for a grand total of 21 minutes.  Then he got some starts when Tyler went to play with the Youth Nats and only became a regular starter when Marsch switched up the formation and Davis played more of a wing role.

Three matches, two of which were wins, is kind of a short leash for a guy you were planning on replacing your Captain with.  Looks more to me like Marsch was easing Tyler in and maybe not putting the pressure on a teenager to replace a fan favorite in Dax.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

I can very much see Muyl figuring things out somewhere else ala Chris Duvall and picking up some hardware sometime down the road.

Until his injury, Duvall was a starter on a team that would end up winning the Shield.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

People assumed Davis was the next man up.  He started the first three games of the season and then was a sub in the next six, playing in only three of those for a grand total of 21 minutes.  Then he got some starts when Tyler went to play with the Youth Nats and only became a regular starter when Marsch switched up the formation and Davis played more of a wing role.

Three matches, two of which were wins, is kind of a short leash for a guy you were planning on replacing your Captain with.  Looks more to me like Marsch was easing Tyler in and maybe not putting the pressure on a teenager to replace a fan favorite in Dax.

I remember that year extremely well and it was definitely Davis' job to lose, he just lost it.  He was brutal in those games.  I remember seeing Sacha basically motioning towards the bench that Davis not doing well, and he was right.  

I love Tyler and part of getting rid of Dax was him in mind as well (Which I said a few years ago in that thread listed above), but Davis went into that season as the starter and that tells you everything you need to know about what the plan was. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

I remember that year extremely well and it was definitely Davis' job to lose, he just lost it.  He was brutal in those games.  I remember seeing Sacha basically motioning towards the bench that Davis not doing well, and he was right.  

I love Tyler and part of getting rid of Dax was him in mind as well (Which I said a few years ago in that thread listed above), but Davis went into that season as the starter and that tells you everything you need to know about what the plan was. 

Davis going into the season as the starter means nothing.  Marsch is capable of thinking ahead a few games.  I'm not saying they weren't going to give Davis a chance, but I'm not sure they trade Dax if Tyler wasn't in the picture.  Even if Davis played well early on, Tyler was would have beat him out eventually and I would bet Marsch knew that, even if people on this board, that didn't get to see Tyler in practice everyday, didn't.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Davis going into the season as the starter means nothing.  Marsch is capable of thinking ahead a few games.  I'm not saying they weren't going to give Davis a chance, but I'm not sure they trade Dax if Tyler wasn't in the picture.  Even if Davis played well early on, Tyler was would have beat him out eventually and I would bet Marsch knew that, even if people on this board, that didn't get to see Tyler in practice everyday, didn't.

Sure, I agree with that.  Having both of them in the picture definitely mattered which is exactly what I said years ago when the trade was made.

But Davis got first crack for a reason. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Getting first crack doesn't mean Marsch thought Davis would win out in the end.  The pressure was of replacing Dax was too much for Davis, could be Marsch was trying to protect a teenager from the same pressure?

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Sure, I agree with that.  Having both of them in the picture definitely mattered which is exactly what I said years ago when the trade was made.

Sure it mattered as far as him becoming more expandable. However getting nothing of substance back, and then ultimately being forced to start Davis for 3 years, when we could have just done nothing and had a better starting line up with Dax and bench with Davis on it, is what hurts.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

There are time stamps, man. If you refuse to read or change your opinion based on facts, that's on you.

Tbh, maybe you dont know how to read or do you want to rewrite history? adams replaced felipe. Davis replaced dax. Adams did get playing time before but it was at rb.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
At best Davis temporarily replaced Dax, Adams took over that starting role three games in.

If you guys think Marsch didnt know Adams was better than Davis before the Dax trade and knew Tyler would be the starter at some point in 2017, fair enough. I just cant believe that Marsch watched Adams practice everyday and wasnt able to see how good he was until after he started some MLS games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users