• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#241 CALEXICO

CALEXICO

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Interests:Soccer. Fencing. Music. Film. Communication Theory.
  • Supports:LOS ANGELES GALAXY

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

Calexico found this from the DVDs explaining the basis for religions in Westeros at the start of the series.

Not to spoil stuff, but...it gets company later...

Now you know what I've been working on for months.

#242 Legion Norge

Legion Norge

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy-USA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

Here's further proof that A Game of Thrones is indeed a big deal in fantasy: it has its own video games. How many games did those crappy Shannara books get? How about Terry Goodkind's laughable, sociopathic Sword for Truth series? How about Robert Jordan's....well, there actually was a decent game based on The Wheel of Time back in 1999. But A Game of Thrones is standing proud right now. So Atlus, HBO, and developer Cyanide Studios are assembling an action-RPG based on the TV series and, by extension, George R.R. Martin's original A Song of Ice and Fire novels. What can we expect when the game arrives early next year? Judging by the newest trailer, we can expect a wall. OK, so it's not a wall, it's THE Wall, a massive fortification that separates the semi-civilized realm of the Seven Kingdoms from a lawless northern waste. It's only part of the sprawling medieval-fantasy world that Martin crafted for his novels, but it's the focus of this trailer, which plays like a standard-issue Dragon Age cutscene despite the voice of James Cosmo. There's more to the game, however: it follows Night's Watch guardsman (and animal-controlling warg) Mors Westfold and Red Priest (and magic user) Alester Sarwyck, neither of whom are seen in the novels (yet). The two of them follow different paths across the Seven Kingdoms, encountering several established series characters along the way--and Jeor Mormonth's just one of them. There's another trailer for the game, and in between the generic milling around, you can catch sight of Varys the Enuch and possibly even Martin himself.

That said, Cyanide Studios also made A Game of Thrones: Genesis, a strategy game that pleased very few fans earlier this year. And the early footage of their new A Game of Thrones title for Xbox 360, PC, and PlayStation 3 looks no different than every other Western-themed RPG out there. Perhaps that's because Martin's setting is fairly mundane at a glance. It's set apart not by improbable world-building, but by realistic power struggles and drastic plot twists (and some downright creepy stuff, but that'll likely get toned down for the game). In RPG terminology, it's more like a dirty version of Tactics Ogre than a Final Fantasy or World of Warcraft.

#243 Legion Norge

Legion Norge

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

George R.R. Martin just posted a reasonably lengthy segment from the agonizingly anticipated sixth book in the A Song of Fire and Ice series, The Winds of Winter. WARNING: It immediately clears up a few things from the end of A Dance with Dragons, so if you haven't finished that one yet, you might consider this your spoiler warning.
Posted Image

#244 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:29 PM

Fuck yeah...I am going to re read all the books.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#245 Englishbird

Englishbird

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:34 PM

Fuck yeah...I am going to re read all the books.

Really?!?!? I tried reading the first one and it was so badly written. I knew lots of people like the books so I kept thinking maybe the plot would draw me in. But no, I quit about half way through. Tolkien this guy is not.

#246 CALEXICO

CALEXICO

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Interests:Soccer. Fencing. Music. Film. Communication Theory.
  • Supports:LOS ANGELES GALAXY

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

Really?!?!? I tried reading the first one and it was so badly written. I knew lots of people like the books so I kept thinking maybe the plot would draw me in. But no, I quit about half way through. Tolkien this guy is not.

Really? When was the last time you read "Fellowship of the Ring"? I could literally skip pages at a time, knowing that he'd just be describing their cloaks getting hooked on branches.

#247 haggis

haggis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Cheebs, Kebabs, Curry Sauce, all things Axl Huckleberry and my anxiety-ridden beagle, and my wife who is my life (not necessarily in that order)<br /><br />But, he's a good beagle!
  • Supports:Galaxy, Rangers, and Good Beer!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

USA TODAY says

"George R.R. Martin is our Author of the Year".
Judas: "We welcomed you with open arms, but will be seeing you off with the 2 finger salute!"

BMAB: Drunkenese for By Me Another Beer!
"For fear that one drink will be lonesome, take another to keep it company, and another to keep the peace between them." -Anonymous

Hey, Kool Aid!

For the love of beer, it was a pretzel!

#248 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:57 PM

Englishbird, I'm sure you're right.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#249 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:27 AM

The comparison to Tolkien are a bit over the top.

Still though - if you're into Fantasy novels, this is the best series to have come out in a long time.

It is a major time suck. Which if you really enjoy the Fantasy genre, then you can spend about 6 months being lost catching up on these books.

#250 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

JUST IN: Game of Thrones Season 2 premieres April 1st at 9PM, only on HBO.

from tEh facebook

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#251 Legion Norge

Legion Norge

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

JUST IN: Game of Thrones Season 2 premieres April 1st at 9PM, only on HBO.

from tEh facebook

Sweet
Posted Image

#252 Legion Norge

Legion Norge

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

Finally an official Game of Thrones season 2 trailer