167 replies to this topic

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

in the new formation, casseres needs to be the cleanup guy (i.e. Davis' spot). I like Casseres but Davis should be the clear starter - maybe have Casseres play during heavy weeks (i.e. we'll have 3 games in 8 days this week, so play Casseres during one of those games )

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

we're screwed though if we have an injury to any of those 3 CBs, would mean that Taxi would have to shift centrally...soooo 2017. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

didn't that 4th guy (forget his name) play ok in a pinch for us this season?  but agree, if we have a long term injury, we probably scrap the 3-3-3-1 which is unfortunate

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

didn't that 4th guy (forget his name) play ok in a pinch for us this season?  but agree, if we have a long term injury, we probably scrap the 3-3-3-1 which is unfortunate

From the little I've watched and the slightly more that I've read about Nealis's season with RB2, he's not quite first-team ready yet.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Nealis made an appearance before Tarek, but Tarek quickly leaped over him on the depth chart.    Not sure if either of Scarlett or Nealis are quite ready yet to step in if needed.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

We'd be fine with Taxi playing that LCB spot in my opinion.  We only struggled back then because we didn't have 2 other great centerbacks. 

I just hope we don't lose any games soon because I'm scared that Armas will spin the wheel of formations after a loss.  

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

We'd be fine with Taxi playing that LCB spot in my opinion.  We only struggled back then because we didn't have 2 other great centerbacks. 

I just hope we don't lose any games soon because I'm scared that Armas will spin the wheel of formations after a loss.  

We should have two formations. The 5-4-1 should be used when they try to long ball us. The 4-5-1 should be used when teas try to use possession

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Its not that he can't play there, but its a waste of his best talents

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Its not that he can't play there, but its a waste of his best talents

What are his best talents? I've always thought they were his wide defending and recovery speed. The wide CBs in a back 3/5 are involved in both of those actions all the time.

If it's his attacking, dude has 8 primary assists in 4 seasons, which isn't anything special.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

What are his best talents? I've always thought they were his wide defending and recovery speed. The wide CBs in a back 3/5 are involved in both of those actions all the time.

If it's his attacking, dude has 8 primary assists in 4 seasons, which isn't anything special.

You've got his skill set right, I think you might be underestimating how much that skill set is limited at LCB. He basically covers an entire third of the field defensively as a LWB, he's the Darrelle Revis of MLS fullbacks.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

We are talking about him playing as one of the three central CBs.    he'd be staying home.   And I don't care what his primary assist numbers are... when played out wide, he pushes the ball up the field and presses while he's up there.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Assessing a WB's attacking contribution by only looking at his primary assists total is quite rudimentary and you know it.

I have no doubt Taxi would do well defensively a CB, but even if we split hairs and agree that his defensive skills are "better" than his attacking skills, we'd still lose out offensively. His WB replacement would be one of Lade/Muyl/Duncan, all of whom would be significantly worse offensively (Lade bc Lade, the others because of playing on the wrong wing).

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

You've got his skill set right, I think you might be underestimating how much that skill set is limited at LCB. He basically covers an entire third of the field defensively as a LWB, he's the Darrelle Revis of MLS fullbacks.

"Two-thirds of the world is covered by water. The other third is covered by Kemar Lawrence*"

*originally Fred Smoot

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

I've watched a lot of back 5 play. The wide CBs, in a good team, cover a lot of space because the wingbacks push up the field and leave a ton of room behind them.

Assessing a WB's attacking contribution by only looking at his primary assists total is quite rudimentary and you know it.

I have no doubt Taxi would do well defensively a CB, but even if we split hairs and agree that his defensive skills are "better" than his attacking skills, we'd still lose out offensively. His WB replacement would be one of Lade/Muyl/Duncan, all of whom would be significantly worse offensively (Lade bc Lade, the others because of playing on the wrong wing).

I don't think it's worth basing a gameplan around a fullback's attacking prowess when the raw production numbers aren't there. I'd rather have players who actually contribute to goals and assists be in those positions. Like, sure, maybe he's a decent attacking option for a fullback, but he's a pretty shit winger, and asking him to be one regularly isn't an optimal use of his best skills.

It's all sort of moot though. I think Kemar would thrive as a LCB in a back 3/5, but like you said, the options to replace him as the LWB in that setup aren't ideal. We'd need to sign a pretty high-level guy to fill that role, and that's not happening any time soon.

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

Thinking of going down to the stadium for this one.

Just win, baby.

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users