Elder Statesman

Elder Statesman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Supports:Metros

http://www.metro.us/...-VArCaItajTYfY/

So far I think so,  Red Bulls are playing well and they're getting better value between the USL team and players like Klesjtan.  Its still early though so it remains to be seen.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

http://www.metro.us/...-VArCaItajTYfY/

So far I think so,  Red Bulls are playing well and they're getting better value between the USL team and players like Klesjtan.  Its still early though so it remains to be seen.

Seems like Dyer is stretching for a story.   The headline writer is certainly stretching.  He says Keane at $4.5M (more than TH14 was getting) doesn't count, because he's not a big name, and ignores the incoming Stevie G.    

Spending less doesn't make you better.  Playing better makes you better.    Lower spending isn't working, playing better is working.   Spend more, upgrade a position or two, and we'd be even more betterer.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I think its a little silly to say that spending less on players is BETTER for any team. The argument should be that you can't rely ONLY on the expensive players, as we've been known to do especially during the Soler/Backe regime.

LA has won 1/3 of all available trophies in MLS since 2010, I don't think you'll hear anyone say they would have been better off without Donovan/Beckham/Keane. Not sure why Dyer's trying to make them seem stringent now either considering they were pushing MLS to allow them a 4th DP last year and have Gerrard coming over on what will surely be a massive contract.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I think its a little silly to say that spending less on players is BETTER for any team. The argument should be that you can't rely ONLY on the expensive players, as we've been known to do especially during the Soler/Backe regime.

LA has won 1/3 of all available trophies in MLS since 2010, I don't think you'll hear anyone say they would have been better off without Donovan/Beckham/Keane. Not sure why Dyer's trying to make them seem stringent now either considering they were pushing MLS to allow them a 4th DP last year and have Gerrard coming over on what will surely be a massive contract.

Correct... Allocating less resources towards your players results in worse players.  Yes, there are exceptions where teams who spend a lot but still lose, and teams who spend a little but still win.

THe two best teams in this league last year were Seattle and LA.  A big reason is because they spend a lot.   A team like Toronto spent a ton, but they'll be fine once they get a better coach and surround the big 3 with some acceptable teammates.

Spending less is only working here right now because we have a coach who's getting the absolute most out of the group.  We can't win an MLS Cup with this team as it's currently constructed and we won't.  The only way that has a possibility of happening is if they add another talented guy to the front 4 positions.  Grella's position to be exact.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Didn't LA just sign Steven Gerrard and give him a Malibu mansion?

#RedBullOut

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Pretty good piece kind of refuting the premise of Dyer's article.  This is from 2010 onward which includes a lot of the post-Beckham years. 

http://www.massivere...eams-since-2010

I don't think we're positioned for better team success until we actually achieve it.  I'm glad they have a USL team, and I'm glad fan pressure probably helped get that moved along.  Whether this team can try to be RSL is up in the air.  So far, the only RSL is...well...RSL.

#RedBullOut

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

I'm going to try and give this a positive spin and assume Dyer's message with this was simply "we know there aren't any big names in the upcoming LA match, its still good soccer, please actually go watch it".

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

I'm OKAY with not spending 15 million beans due to the current run of play, and I understand Grella has 2 goals, but can we please get a DP for the LW position?

DP3

DP3

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Fulham

Pretty good piece kind of refuting the premise of Dyer's article.  This is from 2010 onward which includes a lot of the post-Beckham years. 

http://www.massivere...eams-since-2010

Gee, I wonder why the organization is trying a different strategy? Chart makes us look like knobs, nearly nothing to show for the highest spend in the league.

Hopefully the team opens the checkbook in the summer, if only to replace Grezizzo. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Teams like KC and RSL may make the playoffs every year and make deep runs every so often, but the teams that are winning or competing for MLS Cups and Supporters Shields regularly (LA, Seattle) have the big DPs.  Those teams have quality rosters, with DPs that are difference makers.

Red Bull shouldn't be content with this roster just because we're winning.  We have a huge talent gap at LM.  Upgrading that spot with a DP to fit our style should be, but probably isn't, their goal for the summer transfer window.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

I think deep in our hearts we all know that Grella will be offered a DP contract over the summer

Elder Statesman

Elder Statesman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Supports:Metros

I agree it makes sense to fill your DP slots.  However, the questions is does it makes sense to spend 1 million on a younger DP in their prime or 5 million on a DP that is more famous but is aging?

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

I think when you work in a salary cap system, there are teams that can benefit by being smarter about recognizing the best balance of talent to fit within your budget and and the right coaching.....the teams that can do that, then have the extra cash to spend on DPs that complement the core team will do best.

LA is doing well because they do both.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Someone suggested the lack of DPs was due to the USL team and the sunk costs in that.

We have 13 guys signed to pro contracts playing there (Tyler Adams, Bolu Akinyode, Daniel Bedoya, Franklin Castellanos, Mike da Fonte, Rafael Diaz, Colin Heffron, Victor Manosalvas, Dan Metzger, Konrad Plewa, James Thomas and Chris Tsonis).

Wild guess, but figure they make between $25k-$35k/yr in order to stay competitive with the rest of the USL, so guys don't want to jump to another team. That's half a million a year spent on the USL team salaries alone with home attendance where they can't give tickets away. So as far as a ROI, better hope these players improve drastically and then they can perform for the first team. Figure in costs to run gameday operations, coaching salaries, etc... and you are probably approaching a couple million, tops.

So, last season we had Cahill and Henry.

This year we have the USL and BWP.

It could make sense, but I think its more apples and oranges.

2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Well let's see. RBNY won the Supporters' Shield two years ago and came within a goal of MLS Cup Final last year while spending big, and has played well for five games while not spending this year. 

How about we give it some time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users