155 replies to this topic

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Has there ever been a contract holdout in MLS?

The two I can remember are Lee Nguyen with New England a couple years ago and Roy Lassiter back in late 90s, early 2000s.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Seems like he is being very savvy, if his goal is to leave.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
bradley jusr re signed with TFC as a TAM player freeing up a DP spot they will no doubt use to team up with Pusleto (sp) and jozy.

Thats a sign of a team that is doing whatever it can to throw as much talent on the field at the same time to win games.

Not this fucken bullshit where we disinterested is sold (to a well respected team in europe..not good as Buckmaster but he was solid) and now hamlwtt and co arechasing Lawrence away

After players get the compensation they want the second thing they look at is if they can win games. We can offer neither.

5 year plan

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Also, if you are going to give Taxi a new contract in the ballpark as Parker and Long, you are talking about 2.4M tied up in three players in a salary cap league. I mentioned in another post the craziness in MLS rules that TAM money cannot be used to buy down contracts of players like our two center backs, and that is an issue the players want addressed in the new CBA negotiations.

There's a lot of space between 400k and 800k. I like incentive-based contracts. They can be hard to do well based on meaningful stats for WBs specifically, but you can always simply tie up 100k-200k in playing time/availability (which would address the injury concerns that some had re Taxi's 2019). E.g. if he misses 10-15-20 games through injury and NT duties, he doesn't get all or parts of that component.

You can come up with a number of scenarios, but not if you aren't even willing to have a conversation.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Agree wholeheartedly about the can of worms the club could be opening by agreeing to give him a new deal. By making public comments, Kemar has put the team in a position where it cant give him a raise. You dont want to reward or invite this sort of behavior from other players. Even if you agree with everything Kemar saidand he is definitely not making as much as he could bethis is not the way to go about it. Perhaps if he had handled it in a savvier way (i.e., behind closed doors) he may have had some chance of getting a raise. But I cant foresee that happening now.

Has there ever been a contract holdout in MLS?

He obviously tried to do it behind closed doors, but the club wasn't willing to pay him more. So he's now forcing his way out.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

There's a lot of space between 400k and 800k. I like incentive-based contracts. They can be hard to do well based on meaningful stats for WBs specifically, but you can always simply tie up 100k-200k in playing time/availability (which would address the injury concerns that some had re Taxi's 2019). E.g. if he misses 10-15-20 games through injury and NT duties, he doesn't get all or parts of that component.

You can come up with a number of scenarios, but not if you aren't even willing to have a conversation.

incentive deals don't work in a salary cap system, except for DPs

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

easy solution - Make him Captain - gone in 2021. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

incentive deals don't work in a salary cap system, except for DPs

CBA briefly mentions that incentives may be excluded from a salary charge if not "readily achievable (calculated largely, but not solely, by reference to the Player’s performance in the previous year)." All-Star selections are explicitly mentioned as an available incentive. Of course, the CBA expires in ~6 weeks, so not necessarily relevant.

As I already said a couple of times, you can't come up with a mutually agreeable solution if you're not willing to negotiate.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

bradley jusr re signed with TFC as a TAM player freeing up a DP spot they will no doubt use to team up with Pusleto (sp) and jozy.

Thats a sign of a team that is doing whatever it can to throw as much talent on the field at the same time to win games.

Not this fucken bullshit where we disinterested is sold (to a well respected team in europe..not good as Buckmaster but he was solid) and now hamlwtt and co arechasing Lawrence away

After players get the compensation they want the second thing they look at is if they can win games. We can offer neither.

Ali Curtis is going to make LA Galaxy salary games look like child's play.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

https://twitter.com/...828687822180352
Quotes from Taxi:

Wow, we've always said it but if he actually did say that it's pretty damning...

If this team got two big DP signings kept Kemar and signed a standout right back... They could make a run... No Jorgensen deals or even Kaku deals...

Maybe not a lot of people knew this but before Almiron joined Atlanta he was already starting and having very solid if not standout performances with his National Team... It doesn't take much effort to see that maybe just good VPN pirate internet TV like I have a a big cable bill...

These talented players aren't even hidden... No one is pleading to go sign Messi or Salah.. But it isn't out of the question to sign a young standout that can make a difference and warrant the DP status.. It won't take 250 million dollars but they should be to sign a guy for 15 million or even 25...they have money

It just takes money... They have it and their brand would get bigger notice if their team won the league and they'd make their money back selling the players after they've won the league.. They don't have a clue what they are doing
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Taxi is right. everyone else who says different AINT ON THE INSIDE. I'll take the opinion of a motherfucker from inside that locker room rather than ppl in the fanbase getting heated when ppl suggest spending $$ on improving the top end of the senior roster. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Taxi is right. everyone else who says different AINT ON THE INSIDE. I'll take the opinion of a motherfucker from inside that locker room rather than ppl in the fanbase getting heated when ppl suggest spending $$ on improving the top end of the senior roster. 

TBF, Taxi has no inside knowledge on player acquisitions in the works.  

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

TBF, Taxi has no inside knowledge on player acquisitions in the works.  

He knows what we know. They havent done enough in the past.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
At the very least, if they insist with placing hopes on this weak imitation of moneyball then I hope they will at least spend to keep Taxi at least one more short term contract.. In my opinion they should even make him the captain
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

"Excused absence" from training camp. (Until January 27)

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users