194 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Our "try again" is Manoel.   If he doesn't get extended, our "try again" will be Ngoma.    Not sure how we'll replace Barlow.   

I think Barlow is here next season. Continuity, high pressing, right fit, not to mention durability. All the qualities you could possibly want from a forward.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I think Barlow is here next season. Continuity, high pressing, right fit, not to mention durability. All the qualities you could possibly want from a forward.

100% he goes home to St. Louis... and we get a ham sandwich in return

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,263 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Oh right, Carnell + expansion draft... But Struber seems a bigger fan than Carnell was?

All the qualities you could possibly want from a forward.

Except for scoring goals.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Is this sarcasm?

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

If they use Boars Head that's unquestionably the most lopsided trade/transfer win in MLS history.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,586 posts

If they use Boars Head that's unquestionably the most lopsided trade/transfer win in MLS history.

😆

I think it will be close for last 2 games if klimala and Ngoma get healthy - you would have 4 forwards for the 18 but again Stuber has big trust in big Tom

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts

I think it will be close for last 2 games if klimala and Ngoma get healthy - you would have 4 forwards for the 18 but again Stuber has big trust in big Tom

I've come to accept Barlow's role.  There is nothing wrong philosophically, in our system, to have a late game "defensive forward."   As long as he's playing that role, he serves a purpose and does it well enough.   If we need a goal, well, that's another matter, and Struber's hands are tied given his options.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,263 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I've come to accept Barlow's role.  There is nothing wrong philosophically, in our system, to have a late game "defensive forward."   As long as he's playing that role, he serves a purpose and does it well enough.   If we need a goal, well, that's another matter, and Struber's hands are tied given his options.

Same here. Moved to the acceptance stage of Barlows Anonymous.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Is this sarcasm?

Mostly yes (as MF pointed out, "scoring goals" is conspicuously absent from the list), but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Barlow remains on the roster for next year and possibly beyond. He's cheap and would be okay as a FW4/RB culture/high pressing guy, to be honest. Just need to acquire FW1/FW2/FW3 ahead of him who would be able to score some goals. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts

Mostly yes (as MF pointed out, "scoring goals" is conspicuously absent from the list), but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Barlow remains on the roster for next year and possibly beyond. He's cheap and would be okay as a FW4/RB culture/high pressing guy, to be honest. Just need to acquire FW1/FW2/FW3 ahead of him who would be able to score some goals. 

It's good to see that MLS has grown to where a 10 minute/game, non-scoring sub making $190K is considered cheap.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
Ooh, did not realize he's now making that much! Had 120k in my mind for some reason, should've checked.

That changes my mind and I don't think he'll be around for much longer, though in recent years we've wasted more than that on multiple and somehow less productive players.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

He signed a new deal, he is no longer on his entry-level MLS contract. Simlarly, when both White and Muyl signed their 2nd contract, they earned just north of 200k, so it seems like it's the standard rate for your avg 2nd MLS contract. It's not like we're paying heavy above market for him, but I do see that it might be better to have an HG or a RB2 promoted guy in that defensive fwd position, cuz a HG/reserve team promoted guy won't count against the cap since he'd be in slot 21-30 on the Supplemental roster. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,343 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

He signed a new deal, he is no longer on his entry-level MLS contract. Simlarly, when both White and Muyl signed their 2nd contract, they earned just north of 200k, so it seems like it's the standard rate for your avg 2nd MLS contract. It's not like we're paying heavy above market for him, but I do see that it might be better to have an HG or a RB2 promoted guy in that defensive fwd position, cuz a HG/reserve team promoted guy won't count against the cap since he'd be in slot 21-30 on the Supplemental roster. 

There's also the chance a young guy can turn out to be a good defensive AND offensive forward. We know by now that's not in the cards for Barlow.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts

He signed a new deal, he is no longer on his entry-level MLS contract. Simlarly, when both White and Muyl signed their 2nd contract, they earned just north of 200k, so it seems like it's the standard rate for your avg 2nd MLS contract. It's not like we're paying heavy above market for him, but I do see that it might be better to have an HG or a RB2 promoted guy in that defensive fwd position, cuz a HG/reserve team promoted guy won't count against the cap since he'd be in slot 21-30 on the Supplemental roster

Fitting guys in the cap is a pretty small concern here, and I don't see anyone in the pipeline that does what he does.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,586 posts

isn't the answer to this question - Will Barlow play in every game?"

we sure hope so because that means we make the final? :D

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users