• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

MrDerp4321

MrDerp4321

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
@orriyrar: Victor Palsson confirmed on Icelandic Radio this morning that his contract with #RBNY has been cancelled. An offer from NEC is on the table.

COME TO THE DRINK

CONFORM TO THE DRINK

SUPPORT THE DRINK

Left Bench

Left Bench

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Supports:New York
I have a feeling we will regret this one 5 years down the line.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
Dang...thought he had real potential.

markk

markk

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
I think this is a mistake, at least from an on the field point of view. He apparently played regularly while on loan. In the Dutch first division. And our midfield is thin. And old.

But who knows what off the field issues there were... But I'm a little disappointed.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
We couldn't even work out a small transfer, we had to just cancel the contract and let him sign with NEC for free?

Anubis

Anubis

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, USMNT
Couldn't get $200,000 for him? Every little bit helps towards the cap.

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY
No fee, and I liked the kid, but it does free up an intl spot that they likely plan to use.

Maybe that was what was holding up the Luyindula deal.
"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts
Damn, there goes 2013. First Marquez, now Palsson. Just how does Roxburgh expect to replace all those cautions and ejections next year? :rolleyes:

We save an Intl slot and salary cap for a player that was no loger playing for us....hmmm.

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
How do you just let a team have him?

5 year plan

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

How do you just let a team have him?

You say, "Here he is, he's yours." :lol:

hoofball

hoofball

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metro Stars

You say, "Here he is, he's yours." :lol:

Awesome.

Nidal Baba Superstar

Nidal Baba Superstar

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
Since the loan was made, I've posted a couple times that this would happen: we'd either release him from contract or sell him for an extremely small fee.

By the time the loan was over, he would've had only a few months left on his contract with us. Forcing a young player to return for a few months (and then leave on a free immediately after), when he's established himself with a new club and we don't really have any specific need or plans for him...that's a dick move, and it earns you a bad reputation. Technically, you can play hardball for an itty bitty fee, but it makes it harder to sign other players in the future.

From the moment he left on this loan, he was never coming back. He's a young player with freedom to play anywhere in the EU, he's going off to play in the EU, he's not part of our first team, and his contract is nearly over. In this circumstance, players do not return.

Victor Palsson was never a long-term prospect, unless he was too shitty to play anywhere in Europe...and why would we want him, if he was? Young players with EU passports (or equivalent status, in this case) are never long-term prospects unless they a.) suck, or b.) have strong ties to the US.

Long-term youth prospects are generally US players or CONCACAF players, and occasionally CONMEBOL or CAF players who go through the US college system. With very rare exceptions, young Europeans are here on a temporary basis...or they just suck.

Nidal Baba Superstar

Nidal Baba Superstar

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
Also, he played like he didn't give a damn, if no one noticed.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro
I don't think he had any desire to play here anymore. He found a good situation for himself in Europe. Once you have that, why would he want to come back to MLS, especially considering his struggles last year.

So I'm not really disappointed to see him leave because you could see it coming. I'm just disappointed we couldn't get some sort of transfer fee for him.

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Oh well... Thanks for your time.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users