Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Interesting changes on MLS soccer roster:

Collin listed out on loan (assume USL, but USL site doesn't have him listed and Politz shows "OL: USL")

The INTL roster spot we traded away seems to be back.

Not sure if the two are connected (did we loan Collin out to another MLS team for our INTL spot back?)

https://www.mlssocce...-york-red-bulls
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Weird.  That site has been pretty accurate all season so far so not sure what to think of it. 

May be a way of cutting his salary for the rest of the season knowing he's not coming back next year anyway.  Would also mean we have to sign another CB of starting quality.  Or promote Ndam/Scarlett.  

There is definitely a surplus of CB's with RB2 so elevating someone else to the 1's is not a bad thing.

Ahh, and for the INTL spot, that was already back due to Collin and Taxi getting their green cards.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Weird.  That site has been pretty accurate all season so far so not sure what to think of it. 

May be a way of cutting his salary for the rest of the season knowing he's not coming back next year anyway.  Would also mean we have to sign another CB of starting quality.  Or promote Ndam/Scarlett.  

There is definitely a surplus of CB's with RB2 so elevating someone else to the 1's is not a bad thing.

Ahh, and for the INTL spot, that was already back due to Collin and Taxi getting their green cards.

Id guess that post World Cup Escobar will be the third CB.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Id guess that post World Cup Escobar will be the third CB.

Yeah, need a 4th.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Yeah, need a 4th.

Not for the 18. The 4th CB should still be playing USL matches given theyd be getting very few MLS minutes. So either of the USL starters would be ok for that role.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

No, the 9th spot was traded in the Parker/Felipe deal. We somehow got that back accoridng to the website. Nothing to do with the players. Before Collin got his green card, we called up either Beze or Valot. Ndam and Casseres were on loan with one of them. When Collin got his green card, we kept Beze and Valot on the first team but Casseres and Ndam still on loan. When Taxi got his green card, we can call up Ndam or Casseres now. With getting the extra slot, they are now both eligible without loaning to USL.

@CurseofCaricola

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Not for the 18. The 4th CB should still be playing USL matches given theyd be getting very few MLS minutes. So either of the USL starters would be ok for that role.

Well yeah, that's basically an option I suggested in my post.  Ndam or Scarlett.  Ndam is younger so would rather him getting more regular USL mins.  Like the idea of guys in that 24 year old range having to sit the bench more often which is what we generally seem to do with signing guys over the years like Metzger, Valot and Beze.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

No, the 9th spot was traded in the Parker/Felipe deal. We somehow got that back accoridng to the website. Nothing to do with the players. Before Collin got his green card, we called up either Beze or Valot. Ndam and Casseres were on loan with one of them. When Collin got his green card, we kept Beze and Valot on the first team but Casseres and Ndam still on loan. When Taxi got his green card, we can call up Ndam or Casseres now. With getting the extra slot, they are now both eligible without loaning to USL.

Got ya, forgot about losing 1 via trade.  Now makes me think that is more of a clerical error. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Well yeah, that's basically an option I suggested in my post.  Ndam or Scarlett.  Ndam is younger so would rather him getting more regular USL mins.  Like the idea of guys in that 24 year old range having to sit the bench more often which is what we generally seem to do with signing guys over the years like Metzger, Valot and Beze.

The difference with the three players you mentioned at the end, is that they play positions that are easier than CB to get guys minutes in.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

The difference with the three players you mentioned at the end, is that they play positions that are easier than CB to get guys minutes in.

Metzger played the 6 so he had a chance at 1 of two positions.  Not much different than the situation at CB.  

Where I'm coming from is that with the way we press, CB is an incredibly important position for us.  Sucks to ever be caught under-manned there.  ANd I don't mean just having decent depth, I mean trying to have really good options behind the starters. 

I'm a fan of Collin but he's clearly on his way out here so if we move him for anything as far as a decent asset, then I'm probably going to happy with it. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The great Sal Zizzo CB Experiment of 2017 wasn't enough to convince you guys that we need our 4th stringer to be MLS quality? Long and Parker are much likelier to stay injury free than last year's crowd, but still...

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Metzger played the 6 so he had a chance at 1 of two positions.  Not much different than the situation at CB.

How often in professional soccer do you see a healthy CB get subbed off? A lot less frequently than a CM. So you need both starting CBs to get hurt before the 4th CB gets in. Even then it would be more likely Marsch would slide Murillo over and Tyler to fullback.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

The great Sal Zizzo CB Experiment of 2017 wasn't enough to convince you guys that we need our 4th stringer to be MLS quality? Long and Parker are much likelier to stay injury free than last year's crowd, but still...

What MLS quality CB wants to be 4th on the depth chart? Escobar has looked solid this year, giving us 3 MLS CBs. Your 4th can come from USL.

And, its unfair to compare Ndam and Scarlett, true CBs that have been developing using our system, to Zizzo, a winger turned fullback, thrown into a CB role.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Vancouver's roster has our slot (it's not filled):

SLOT ACQUIRED FROM:
RBNY until 12/31/18 (on 3/2/18)

So something is wrong...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
Unless there was an unannounced move with Collin being loaned to another team for someone else's INTL spot.

But agreed, something is probably off and Collin on loan this weekend to our USL team.

@CurseofCaricola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users