• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

RiverEnergyDrink

RiverEnergyDrink

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Two card prone guys, one injury-prone guys and a rookie....

You hope you have two starters between the two.  I don't think it's a given that you do.

I understand that but how many teams have that many quality CBs at their disposal?  Most MLS teams would be in trouble under that scenario.

Im not saying we shouldn't get another one but I don't believe it has to be a top 2 CB. 

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

So we're anointing Long now after 3 games?    I don't know if that's a smart thing to do to a kid in his first top-flight professional season who already had a big gaffe that cost us a goal.  You hope he pans out, but I don't think you can say today that he's definitively the answer there.

Not anointing him, just making a judgement based on what we're provided.  If you just waited for it to be obvious, you'd never have young guys play.

Can only make judgements based off of what we've seen.  And what mistake did Long have that resulted in a goal?  First game was Collin (or Bilyeu), second game was Taxi and Sacha, 3rd game certainly wasn't Long. He screwed up once which led to a chance, but they didn't score.

We have 3 starters there... And if you have a centerback in this league, they better get yellow cards.  You MUST play on that line of tough/dirty in this league. 

Just add some more depth and we're good. Plenty of guys, easy to get.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

If we knew Baah was not coming back, its pretty reckless not to have his replacement in for camp and the start of the season.  Even without injuries, we know CB's - especially ours - rack up cards quickly.     Being exposed until the summer xfer window, given all our roster spots and allocation money, makes no sense.  If N'dam is that guy, ok... 

His replacement is Long.  You might not agree with that approach, but that is who it is.  We have more CB depth this year, than we had to start last year imo.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Just add some more depth and we're good. Plenty of guys, easy to get.

And yet... would you wager a dime that we pick up anybody?  We've gone into two seasons now with a ton of allocation and cap space just holding our breath that nobody gets injured or suspended. 

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

His replacement is Long.  You might not agree with that approach, but that is who it is.  We have more CB depth this year, than we had to start last year imo.

Our depth at CB last year was our fullbacks (Taxi & Duvall, not counting Ouimette since those two played over him) so that's not saying much.

Long looks good so far, minus the one big error that he was lucky didn't lead to a goal and that shot that makes it hard to believe he was ever a forward.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

And yet... would you wager a dime that we pick up anybody?  We've gone into two seasons now with a ton of allocation and cap space just holding our breath that nobody gets injured or suspended. 

I think we will pick up someone.

Clearly we thought Baah was coming back because they were posting videos of him and his initial workouts.  Must have been a complication of some sort and it's really unfortunate.

That Ndam just needs to start and play with Red Bulls II all season and be left alone so he can't be relied on.  We need a vet with some experience who's OK with not getting a ton of minutes.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

With the way that Jesse has been raving about Long, it's clear he's gonna get a ton of minutes as DP and Collin are both older players. I think we have a good core with those 3 rotating throughout the season. Agreed that we should try to go out and get a depth piece there. Clearly the staff trusts those 3 guys as the primary starters so we aren't getting a big time starter in that spot. We could use a 2015 Ouimette type that can step in for a couple of spot starts and do a job. There aren't any obvious candidates out there like Collin out there but there's gotta be a guy on an MLS roster we can target. 

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

That Ndam just needs to start and play with Red Bulls II all season and be left alone so he can't be relied on.  We need a vet with some experience who's OK with not getting a ton of minutes.

So in reality we're one injury/suspension away from starting Taxi at CB again.

#RedBullOut

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

So in reality we're one injury/suspension away from starting Taxi at CB again.

2 injuries or suspensions but yeah.  And yes, that's not good enough so we have to sign someone.  Taxi is OK at CB so we could survive if we absolutely had to for a game or so. 

My guess is that the Baah thing is fairly recent.  They showed vids of him working out and stuff towards the end of training camp so it's not like they've been sitting on this information for long.

And we also get one buyout per year on contracts right? I don't even know if the MLS CBA allows us to buyout Baah now, but perhaps that's being done.  If it's possible I would absolutely do it considering he's likely not going to be the same.

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

http://www.frontrows...ng-injury-list/

“After evaluating Gideon’s progress, we have made the decision that we think is best,” Red Bulls sporting director Denis Hamlett said in a statement. “This lets him focus on rehab with our medical staff. Our primary goal is making sure he has the time and resources to return to 100 percent health.”

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Is our CB depth of: 1) Colin 2) Long 3) DP 4) Ndam/Murillo really that bad or worse than our Fwd depth which is 1) BWP 2) Veron 3) Etienne/Allen?

Would rather have Baah healthy but CB is not a position that gets rotated a lot anyway.  We have 3 really good options and then number of guys that can play there in a pinch and do a decent job.  If Etienne and Sacha go to Gold Cup (which is not that crazy) we have a legit forward problem.

How many teams have a better CB situation than us honestly?  Last year our situation sucked, this year its fine (not amazing but fine).  If we signed another CB cool if not, it's not a big deal.  Ironically even our CM depth if Marsch wants to play Sacha out wide is more shaky than our CBs until June if Adams gets called up for U20 world cup (highly likely), unless you guys are cool with Dan Metzger starting MLS games.  

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Is our CB depth of: 1) Colin 2) Long 3) DP 4) Ndam/Murillo really that bad or worse than our Fwd depth which is 1) BWP 2) Veron 3) Etienne/Allen?

Yes, because you have Grella and Royer on the bench in a pinch as well.  You have 4 fully capable options.

#RedBullOut

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Would rather have Baah healthy but CB is not a position that gets rotated a lot anyway.  ...

Did you watch this team last year?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

With centerback in a salary cap world, you need 3 starting quality options.  We have that so I'm good.  But we do need a 4th who we can trust. Ndam isn't that, so it's gotta be someone else.  Should be a cheap option out there to do that.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Would rather have Baah healthy but CB is not a position that gets rotated a lot anyway.  We have 3 really good options and then number of guys that can play there in a pinch and do a decent job.  If Etienne and Sacha go to Gold Cup (which is not that crazy) we have a legit forward problem.

How many teams have a better CB situation than us honestly?  Last year our situation sucked, this year its fine (not amazing but fine).  If we signed another CB cool if not, it's not a big deal.  Ironically even our CM depth if Marsch wants to play Sacha out wide is more shaky than our CBs until June if Adams gets called up for U20 world cup (highly likely), unless you guys are cool with Dan Metzger starting MLS games.  

Don't disagree with the rest (most teams, especially in MLS, will struggle if they have multiple starters at a position unavailable). But  I will question "3 really good options"... really? Collin's been a shell of himself over the last two games he played (he was benched v Atlanta!). DP was slow when he arrived a couple of years ago, has aged since, and presumably had to take a lower salary to come back after the FO declined his team option. Long has been pretty decent but hardly a rock; he is still a 24yo MLS rookie and has not been perfect.

I'm not saying they are not going to be good, but after the season we had last year and when we have a bunch of salary cap available, I don’t see how we can be content with only having these three options as CBs. Would've been fine to tough out the first couple of months until Baah comes back, which was always the plan, but now that he's out for 2017, we should be getting another capable body in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users