Isn't it nice how many players we have who truly love the team and fans?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
I've always felt that something this team has lacked in most of its history are players who really truly love the team and fans. We've had Mike Petke, but most players have just come in here and collected a paycheck and not given a damn. On the current roster, we have guys like Dax, Robles, BWP, Lade, Felipe and more who actively and publicly proclaim how much they love the team and fans. And you can tell that they really mean it. They are constantly engaged with the fans and the community. It's clear that this is their home.

It's such a nice change of pace from players in the past who were always bitching about everything and wishing they were somewhere else.

The Falcon

The Falcon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Indeed.  And it's nice for the players too, to feel comfortable with an organization, part of something great, a  nice community that they can buy a place for their family and not just rent one while their family stays behind in their last city or where they maintain a primary residence.  Good things are going on at this club right now.  One of the best stadiums and training complexes in the league, money, passionate.  Do all other clubs have what we have?  Nope. 

Forza. 

Foz

Foz

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Supports:RBNY & USMNT

Haven't posted in years but I was just thinking about this. I esp. love seeing on social media that Kljestan, Grella, Dax, Lade, and others spend time together with their families off the training pitch as well. I feel kinda creepy but it's really nice to know that these guys actually like each other and see themselves as a large family.

Thierry Henry, on secret to team's success: “Win games. And score more goals than the opponent.”

------------------------------

єяι¢ αℓєχαη∂єя = g.σ.α.т.

------------------------------

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Its a function of actually keeping a core of players around for more than two weeks at a time.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
I think the lack of a big money DP also helps. Can be hard to be friends with a guy making 100x more than you.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Its a function of actually keeping a core of players around for more than two weeks at a time.   

This. Less turnover leads to more "bonding" time.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

I think the lack of a big money DP also helps. Can be hard to be friends with a guy making 100x more than you.

I think that's a bit overstated.  Kaka is the highest paid player in MLS and he makes 6,600,000. That's essentially 10x the average.

I think rank and file players get that superstars are paid out of all proportion, especially in this league. 

I can't fathom that there was anyone on the Red Bulls from 2010-14 who ever entertained the thought that Thierry Henry was overpaid. 

Even on a crap team like Boy City, if the scrubs start to say 'who the F is this guy?'  It's like 'Oh yeah, he's Andrea Fucking Pirlo.'  These guys have all followed soccer the past 10 years, they get that these guys getting the big money are legends, even if they don't always live up to it these days. 

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

irishstevenj

irishstevenj

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Supports:Metro

You can tell Jesse is trying to play the chill stepdad role with us too. Says all the right things. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Don't think its much of an issue if that DP isn't an ego-maniacal asshole. Pics of Henry out to dinner with teammates popped up all the time, seemed like he got along with everyone just fine.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Telling moment for me was the way Veron and Baah reacted after scoring. They were completely pointless goals in terms of getting a result, and they haven't been around particularly long, yet it was pretty clear that they both wanted to contribute badly.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I think that's a bit overstated.  Kaka is the highest paid player in MLS and he makes 6,600,000. That's essentially 10x the average.

I think rank and file players get that superstars are paid out of all proportion, especially in this league. 

I can't fathom that there was anyone on the Red Bulls from 2010-14 who ever entertained the thought that Thierry Henry was overpaid. 

Even on a crap team like Boy City, if the scrubs start to say 'who the F is this guy?'  It's like 'Oh yeah, he's Andrea Fucking Pirlo.'  These guys have all followed soccer the past 10 years, they get that these guys getting the big money are legends, even if they don't always live up to it these days. 

Henry is my favorite player ever. I'd never say he was overpaid. But I think it's a different team dynamic when one player makes that much - they almost automatically become the focal point. Henry was a good teammate, but the team's been closer since he left.

Father Ted

Father Ted

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

I think also that a good number of players who have found redemption in their careers here has something to do with it.  The likes of BWP, Robles, Grella were really struggling before they came here but all have turned their careers around and they seem to really appreciate that they've done that here.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

You can tell Jesse is trying to play the chill stepdad role with us too. Says all the right things. 

"Win MLS cup...just leave it in the garage & don't tell your mom."

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

I think also that a good number of players who have found redemption in their careers here has something to do with it.  The likes of BWP, Robles, Grella were really struggling before they came here but all have turned their careers around and they seem to really appreciate that they've done that here.

Dax has pointed to that in the past as well. Being told he was going to be FC till he died, then traded to DC. DC telling him that they'd build around him, and trading him 4 months later. He said in an interview at one point that he was like "NY wanted me, believed in me, and I've built a career here."

He was always a good player, but you weren't sure if he could hit that next level a la Beckerman where he could anchor a team & be its captain. He has & is. I think these will go down as the best years of his career. 

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

This. Less turnover leads to more "bonding" time.

It also helps that they don't have to walk past/under us when they fail on any given night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users