68 replies to this topic

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Sorry but Seattle winning just further cements the fact that the MLS Cup is a garbage way of crowning the best team in the league.  I know Lodeiro made them a lot better and everything but that team barely got in the playoffs...  Same as last year with Portland who barely got in last season and couldn't even make it in this year with basically the same team.

Whatever though.  Hope we win it next year.

I think a 1 game playoff each round would be more beneficial in regards to making it tougher for actually-bad teams to win it all.

To be fair though, I look back at when LA Kings won the Stanley Cup a few years ago against NJD. They weren't very good that year, and really I remember them riding Quick to a championship. Seattle though, was truly putrid Saturday. Really though, TFC had 120 minutes to get something on the board and they couldn't. Choked.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Yes.  The second time, too.

Wait, do you mean that regular season records maybe aren't a perfect reflection of team strength?

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

That's the playoffs in almost any sport.

Would anybody really argue that the Giants were better than the Patriots when they won their first Super Bowl meeting? Hockey goalies get hot all the time and propel 8th seeds passed 1st seeds.

Basketball is the one sport, where the team that wins the championship was usually one of the 2-3 best in the regular season.

Giants didn't win the Super Bowl without scoring a touchdown or field goal. The past few MLS Cups have been pretty damn boring which probably isn't helping the league in the long run. All the talk on Twitter was about how painfully boring the game was.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Giants didn't win the Super Bowl without scoring a touchdown or field goal. The past few MLS Cups have been pretty damn boring which probably isn't helping the league in the long run. All the talk on Twitter was about how painfully boring the game was.

Agreed.  I don't think playing the game in Arctic temperature last weekend helped, but teams do seem to get very tight and are afraid to lose in the Cup Final.

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys

I remember late in the year when we were gunning for our first ever trophy - the one that is more meaningful than MLS Cup.

The way Henry showed up in Seattle and played the game on that crap turf field........

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

In terms of "MLS Championships", the regular season means jack shit. In terms of being a real soccer fan, the regular season is what's most important. It really depends on how into soccer you really are.

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys

Yes.  You are more into soccer than me.    That's it.

And Ted is more into soccer than all of us because of his fanaticism of Pro/Rel ....because in terms of being a 'real' soccer fan  

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
Playoffs are bullshit.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
It's because we have an awesome team and playoffs are fucking stupid in soccer. [/thread]

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Deep down in the hearts of everyone who reads this forum, we all know that playoffs are bullshit in soccer.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Deep down in the hearts of everyone who reads this forum, we all know that playoffs are bullshit in soccer.

You keep saying this, but you're wrong. Why even specifically say soccer? Just say playoffs in all sports, because it's the same thing - and no one complains much.

Not even going to argue with you. Unbalanced schedule = SS isn't a fair indicator. Format in playoffs is dumb and should be fixed, but playoffs are king.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
What metrofanatic is a majority opinion only kind of place now hurricane? I suggest that you go elsewhere or simply not post about a topic you don't agree with, especially if you say I'm not going to argue with you and then you do.

Playoffs in soccer is pretty weird just like the clock counting down, hockey like penalties, no ties in regular season game and other shit mls tried and didn't work. You can agree with that or not but I sure hope you don't tell me I should go elsewhere to talk about what used to be known as the beautiful game of soccer.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

What metrofanatic is a majority opinion only kind of place now hurricane? I suggest that you go elsewhere or simply not post about a topic you don't agree with, especially if you say I'm not going to argue with you and then you do.

Playoffs in soccer is pretty weird just like the clock counting down, hockey like penalties, no ties in regular season game and other shit mls tried and didn't work. You can agree with that or not but I sure hope you don't tell me I should go elsewhere to talk about what used to be known as the beautiful game of soccer.

IA beats the dead horse like no other!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

After all, this IS the dead horse subforum ...

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

After all, this IS the dead horse subforum ...

The post IA made was originally not in the dead horse subforum - it was moved there.

I don't know why I am so passionate about this issue, but I am. My mind cannot comprehend how the SS is a fair representation of the league champ, when the schedule is unbalanced. We legitimately play an easier schedule than Western teams. Awesome for the two SS, but how can that be fair when we got to play more stinky teams more often? Playoffs are a crap shoot and currently NOT structured well (LOL, 1 game play in, 2 rounds of 2 game aggregate, 1 game final is just laughable) but it's about avoiding people arguing the unbalanced schedule and giving everyone a shot. Doesn't reward the good teams enough but it is what it is. In a world with a million Cup tournaments, who are we to deny the playoffs their glory? Is the World Cup bogus because it's just a handful of games, and someone can get hot? No one calls it bogus, so why are playoffs any different?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users