15 replies to this topic

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

Your plan is to replace one of the top CAM's in MLS history with a 19-year-old who has practically never played the position. I don't know what to tell you if think this is anything besides reckless. 

agreed

If the Kaku deal finally happens then i would like to see him slotted where Sacha was and Metro go back to the 4231 which is best for fullbacks that can attack like Murillo and Taxi, because when they'll go forward they'll be overloading the rival's defense as opposed to a formation that has them as wing backs because then they will have too much notice that they'll be attacking.. And the 4231 is best for BWP...

On another note who is the Captain now.. I know out of respect many feel like Robles should be but I think it should always be someone that is not only a leader like Robles but also a field player so he can be chirping in the refs ear... It'll be more acceptable by the ref if the person chirping is the Captain

For me it should be Felipe
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Felipe is too much of an agitator to have the armband.  

I would suggest just making it Robles.  He's the only veteran on the team beyond Felipe that has a chance to stay beyond this year.  Davis would be the other guy but I'm still not sold that he's an automatic starter.  

Could just go BWP knowing that he's probably a goner after this season.  

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Felipe is too much of an agitator to have the armband.  

I would suggest just making it Robles.  He's the only veteran on the team beyond Felipe that has a chance to stay beyond this year.  Davis would be the other guy but I'm still not sold that he's an automatic starter.  

Could just go BWP knowing that he's probably a goner after this season.  

That would be the trend

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

has to be Robles. He's the only true leader we have left on the team. I don't buy the argument that keepers can't be captains.  Guys like Iker and Kahn were exemplary captains). 

If not Robles, then BWP simply because he leads by example, even if he's not very vocal. Plus he's the "elder statesman" on the squad. 

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

As far as captain goes... 

BWP: I would honestly hate to see BWP captain. He seems to have that mentality to just go about his business. He's as humble as it gets I don't think he likes attention or focus to be on him and definitely doesn't need that added pressure. He actually prefers to fly under the radar. 

Felipe: He cannot be captain. Way too much of an agitator and diver to be a captain of a team.

Davis: Don't like this choice either. He really only has 1 full season under his belt so not enough experience. Also I don't think he is a sure thing starter especially if these midfield signings go through.

Robles: This would be a good choice IMO. He already has the attributes you would want in a captain. I don't think he would have to change anything. I think the field player needing to be captain thing is kinda overblown. Everyone always talks to the refs anyway.

Collin: I haven't seen this mentioned yet but I actually think he would be one of the better choices. ***IF*** he can stay healthy. Very experienced.  MLS All Star, MLS Cup Winner. Hes a sure starter, and already seems to be the most vocal person on the back line.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Captaincy is so overrated I don't even care. We traded captains in consecutive years, that should show you how much it matters.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

Give it to Taxi so he stays. 

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Slomojones

Slomojones

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
Dax
This post is dedicated to all the slow defenders of the world. Godspeed! my brothers

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

We only see so much on the field but some of the biggest impacts a captain has is off the field in terms of their demeanor, handling conflicts, setting an example, etc.  From what we see I think personality wise you want someone like Robles or Collin, very different, but both have that presence about them.   But honestly  without seeing the guys day-to-day none of us are really qualified enough to answer this.  Hearing Robles in the SI interview talk about the Sacha trade kind of reminded me of that, its not as simple as it seems.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

We only see so much on the field but some of the biggest impacts a captain has is off the field in terms of their demeanor, handling conflicts, setting an example, etc.  From what we see I think personality wise you want someone like Robles or Collin, very different, but both have that presence about them.   But honestly  without seeing the guys day-to-day none of us are really qualified enough to answer this.  Hearing Robles in the SI interview talk about the Sacha trade kind of reminded me of that, its not as simple as it seems. 

Do you think Robles will have more of an impact as a Captain than he did last year?

Is it weird if hes not the Captain given he probably does all the off field Captain stuff anyway? I think Id give it to BWP though, just because hes a field player.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

article-2387309-1B34B74A000005DC-46_634x

Metro Red

Metro Red

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Liverpool

article-2387309-1B34B74A000005DC-46_634x

Thank you, I tried to do this yesterday but was too stupid to figure it out

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Do you think Robles will have more of an impact as a Captain than he did last year?

Is it weird if hes not the Captain given he probably does all the off field Captain stuff anyway? I think Id give it to BWP though, just because hes a field player.

In general I would say no, but given all the new youth on the team and loss of key locker room guys the answer may be yes this year.

ediddy

ediddy

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I would pick whoever we would most like to see traded before the 2019 season.

I used to have a couple of funny things here but I can no longer find them.

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I think it's going to be Robles. But as I recall, the way Jesse set the locker room up early in his tenure, he had something of a "leadership council" of veteran players he considered leaders. BWP and Robles were always part of it. Aside from Felipe, I'm not sure who else would be on it now. But the three of them and a few others probably share the leadership responsibilities, regardless of who actually wears the armband.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users