104 replies to this topic

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Whatever numbers are being reported are nonsense anyway. In turnstile count we are probably 20th.

Definitely disagree, the teams behind us in attendance, Houston, Philly, Colorado, Dallas, DC(who should draw more now with the new stadium), Chicago and Columbus all makes sense from what I've seen.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

bunch of people complaining that traffic was the worst it's ever been on Saturday and it wasn't even sold out.

Probably due to the departing Juventus-Benfica crowd being unfamiliar with the area.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Probably due to the departing Juventus-Benfica crowd being unfamiliar with the area.

The complaints were after our game, apparently took a lot of people on the Harrison side an hour+ to get out of the area.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

From a stylistic point of view, sure, lumping people together in the lower bowl or a couple of upper bowl sections would be an improvement. It may even improve the atmosphere a bit (in spots).

As someone who loves sitting in the upper bowl for a better vantage point of the field, I would hate being forced to move down. Not having to get up 5+ times a half so people in my row can get in/out is not such a bad thing either. If you think the beer and restroom lines/traffic/PATH crowds are bad now, just think what adding another 10k will do. 

Pushing people to the upper levels actually amplifies the noise / atmosphere due to the proximity to the roof. It's the reason why visiting supporters (who sit in a corner very close to the roof on the 2nd level) are able to make so much noise that travels around the stadium

redredred

redredred

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Supports:metro
Red Bull dont seem to care much about Salzburg occupying a stadium that is maybe 20% full most of the time...

Id also be very upset if I was forced to relocate from my upper level row 1 seats. Great view for watching games.

I do wonder about the alternative course of history in which Red Bull had purchased the cosmos branding, stuck the rb logo on the jerseys and all over the stadium. Would that have made any difference?

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

The complaints were after our game, apparently took a lot of people on the Harrison side an hour+ to get out of the area.

I was one of those people, i park in the parking garage next to the path and it was quick getting out of the garage but they ended up using the streets to make three lanes of one way traffic at one point on Essex Street and then had it merge back down to one lane on 1st Street, with people trying to use Bergen, Sussex, Warren, and Jersey street to get ahead of the traffic. Was stuck on 1st Street for probably a hour alone. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

teams behind us in attendance, Houston, Philly, Colorado, Dallas, DC(who should draw more now with the new stadium), Chicago and Columbus

IMO, PU draws better than us, albeit late arriving. DC will draw far more to its new stadium. There is no way we are averaging 19,500. The lower deck holds 10,000 and is barely half full. The upper deck holds 15,000 and is mostly empty.
https://en.m.wikiped...e_Soccer_season

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

There are a hundred reasons for our attendance numbers, but always thought it comes downs to three things, which affect the casual and diehard fans differently but make it hard for RBNY to appease either group completely

• Team Optics (Casual Fan): Until the last couple of years we were also one of the "big fish" in MLS spending money, getting famous players.  You can't go from that to 1) losing arguably your biggest players 3 of the next 4 offseasons (Henry, Dax, and Sacha), while not obviously spending money to replace them until Kaku.  While the team is still very good, you can't be viewed as cheap in NYC, especially when your intercity rival outspends you on salaries.  It's odd that the homegrown angle doesn't carry more weight, but I think its because RB changed their value proposition so suddenly that casuals don't realize what's happening here. Even when they do, it still needs to be supplemented with bigger signings.
  • RB (diehard): personally I view them as a sporting positive but a lot of diehard supporters do not, and its an understandable viewpoint.  RB has invested a lot in the team imo, but when your coach is leaving midseason to sister club, various failed loans of RB Global outcasts and non-existent owner in NY marketplace RB can be viewed as not caring.  And that's without factoring how RB ripped up the club identity when they took over the club.  While they now are trying to undo that and respect the early days, what was done was cannot be unseen.  Lastly, when your team has not won MLS Cup yet and you leave a DP spot open you are doing no favors to yourself.
  • Out of stadium experience (Both): RBA is great for watch games but the out of stadium stuff is pretty frustrating.  Some of it out of their control, but it's still their problem. The last couple of years the weekend PATH has gotten worse, especially for well-attended games.  Even to go to WTC you end up taking a JSQ train, then having to sit there until a WTC train comes in god knows how long. Parking and driving out of the stadium is not even worth talking about.  In the arena the concourses are too small, so during sellouts it makes using the bathroom or grabbing food really uncomfortable.  PATH may get better once upgrades finally finish but other areas I have limited hope.  

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Team Optics (Casual Fan): Until the last couple of years we were also one of the "big fish" in MLS spending money, getting famous players.  You can't go from that to 1) losing arguably your biggest players 3 of the next 4 offseasons (Henry, Dax, and Sacha), while not obviously spending money to replace them until Kaku. 

No casual fans ever came to see Dax or Sacha, or refused to come because of them leaving. Pretty sure Kaku doesn't move the needle much either. The "cheap" perception might be there, but I'd say that might turn away dozens of fans, not thousands. An Henry-esque star signing would help but is not a silver bullet long-term (and there are trade-offs from a competitive/financial standpoint, obviously). 

Location/traffic issues are the big thing, imho.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Location/traffic issues are the big thing, imho.

Is there still a pre-game fan fest outside RBA?
Has anyone here gone to it?
Does it attract a crowd? Repeat attendees?
Should RB consider post-game events?

MrDerp4321

MrDerp4321

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

The problem is twofold: we have a single-use stadium, and it is located in Harrison.  If we had a multi-purpose stadium in a place where people were able to more easily travel to and park, say the Meadowlands, I'd bet our attendance would double.

COME TO THE DRINK

CONFORM TO THE DRINK

SUPPORT THE DRINK

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

The problem is twofold: we have a single-use stadium, and it is located in Harrison.  If we had a multi-purpose stadium in a place where people were able to more easily travel to and park, say the Meadowlands, I'd bet our attendance would double.

Didn't work out too well the last time we were there lol

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
How is having a soccer specific stadium a problem?

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

interesting topic.  

Team is winning and lots at home. 

Lots of home growns - how that doesn't draw more is beyond me. 

with lots local rival games.

I think the parking/exit situation is dragging people down

- RB should do more to address this.  Advertise walking over from Newark lots, promo deal with restarants in Ironbound, promote a bus.  Exiting is very annoying. They should have post game activities/games to help alleviate the congestion.  

, the hard core fanbase is aging and for strange reasons people are not coming out to games.  They would rather watch Euro leagues on TV.  

Kind of odd hard to understand in light of other clubs successes.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

bukie2k

bukie2k

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Supports:ManU, Cosmos, Metros

in a place where people were able to more easily travel to

Wasn't the location in Harrison supposed to solve this problem by way of it proximity to multiple mass transit options?

When you are born, you get a ticket to the freak show. If you are born in the United States, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users