• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Here is an example, there was a huge game against chief rival scum where Rooney was given a fully deserved red card, which was equated by a BS red card on Tarek, where he was given a booking for fouling by his back! Scum was down 1:0 and equalized, and it did not look good for us, but Murillo made a run to their box and drew a penalty which got us much needed 3 points. I thought you said he "quit", yet here he is making a run through entire field earning us a win. Buck has NEVER done anything that's anywhere near this sort of contribution. I understand he regressed from the season before, but he was still by far the best option we had in play-offs, and playing USL level player over him, while not even activating him for play-offs was an absolutely fatal error.

Do you understand that the whole year's work comes down to a few play-off games? That's where you are obligated to put the best line-up. Don't give me horse shit that it was OK to use him to win against chief rival DC end of August, but a month later in play-offs, where we lost by such slim margin it wasn't.

I'm not here saying Buck is good or competent or anything like that. He sucked. But let's not rewrite history.

I don't have all the stats you do, like % of times Murillo won a ball while sneezing, but I do have our W's and L's from last season:

Record playing less than 10 minutes: 5-4-4 19G 1.4 GPG

Record playing more than 10 minutes: 9-10-2 32G 1.5 GPG

Now admittedly, as a coach, I wouldn't split hairs too much looking at that going into the playoffs. The difference is pretty mild. Yeah, we were better without Murillo, but not by a ton. However, looking at the end of our season, it doesn't take a genius to figure out why Armas didn't want Murillo out there:

Record in final 5 matches before playoffs:

Less than 10 mins: 2-0-1 0G

More than 10 mins: 0-2-0 7G 

Now look, all of that is not on Murillo or Buck. But there were at least 5 matches last year we all agreed the L was because of Murillo doing something stupid. 

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

You guys are arguing over whether rotten apples taste better than rotten oranges. Murillo was good for a goal per game due to ball watching, Buckmaster was good for a goal per game due to poor defensive technique and positioning.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

I'm not here saying Buck is good or competent or anything like that. He sucked. But let's not rewrite history.

I don't have all the stats you do, like % of times Murillo won a ball while sneezing, but I do have our W's and L's from last season:

Record playing less than 10 minutes: 5-4-4 19G 1.4 GPG

Record playing more than 10 minutes: 9-10-2 32G 1.5 GPG

Now admittedly, as a coach, I wouldn't split hairs too much looking at that going into the playoffs. The difference is pretty mild. Yeah, we were better without Murillo, but not by a ton. However, looking at the end of our season, it doesn't take a genius to figure out why Armas didn't want Murillo out there:

Record in final 5 matches before playoffs:

Less than 10 mins: 2-0-1 0G

More than 10 mins: 0-2-0 7G 

Now look, all of that is not on Murillo or Buck. But there were at least 5 matches last year we all agreed the L was because of Murillo doing something stupid. 

You are right, let's not rewrite history. Even going by your own arbitrary 10 minute number, we have a look at every game. Here is the result:

With Murillo 10+ mins (all competitions): 11W 11L 2D (.500 on W/L, less draws)

Without Murillo 10+ mins (all competitions): 5W 7L 3D (.417 on W/L, less draws)

And in the final 5 games the games we won were with Duncan, not Buck. Pretty small sample size there, and when you take all 2019 season into consideration, we did better with Murillo on than without. Factoring in Duncan, the record is even worse without both of them. This is using YOUR OWN premise, which you thought was valuable. Amazingly, where you managed to rewrite history, whilst asking not to do this very thing. :) Now, that your own premise clearly showed we did better with him (for 2019 .500 team vs .417 team), you must logically agree with me, right? Or that's not how logic works in your mind?

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

You are right, let's not rewrite history. Even going by your own arbitrary 10 minute number, we have a look at every game. Here is the result:

With Murillo 10+ mins (all competitions): 11W 11L 2D (.500 on W/L, less draws)

Without Murillo 10+ mins (all competitions): 3W 7L 4D (.300 on W/L, less draws)

And in the final 5 games the games we won were with Duncan, not Buck. Pretty small sample size there, and when you take all 2019 season into consideration, we did better with Murillo on than without. This is using YOUR OWN premise, which you thought was valuable. Amazingly, where you managed to rewrite history, whilst asking not to do this very thing. :) Now, that your own premise clearly showed we did better with him (for 2019 .500 team vs .300 team), you must logically agree with me, right? Or that's not how logic works in your mind?

I've gotta be honest, your numbers aren't even remotely close to the ones on the team's website. I mean, we clearly won 5 matches with him playing under 10 minutes or not at all, but you have it as 3. IDK what to say to that other than online school must have been really tough for you last year. Hope your parents let opt for you to be in school this fall!

And, for what has to be the millionth time, I think Buck sucks. I'm not defending him at all. That's some other poster on here. I am saying Murillo was horrendous as well. 

I HATE to break this to you on this hot day in mid-summer but.... Murillo is gone. He isn't coming back. Buck is also gone. You can move on and obsess over other players now. 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

I've gotta be honest, your numbers aren't even remotely close to the ones on the team's website. I mean, we clearly won 5 matches with him playing under 10 minutes or not at all, but you have it as 3. IDK what to say to that other than online school must have been really tough for you last year. Hope your parents let opt for you to be in school this fall!

And, for what has to be the millionth time, I think Buck sucks. I'm not defending him at all. That's some other poster on here. I am saying Murillo was horrendous as well. 

I HATE to break this to you on this hot day in mid-summer but.... Murillo is gone. He isn't coming back. Buck is also gone. You can move on and obsess over other players now. 

I provided the link too, and corrected to 5 wins, but still the point stands, we were still better. How typical though that you had to resort to personal insults , just like the other guy who disagreed. This seems to the pattern among the folks here who are unable to prove a point using logic. You made a big deal that we did better without Murillo what with him. I provided you a link that indicates otherwise, counting all competition, which we have to count to assess overall contribution. Thanks for correcting the number, but even with the correction, the point still stands: we did better with him than without. And without him and Duncan it was even worse. Duncan wasn't available for play-offs to play this position due to injury, which means leaving Murillo out was a huge mistake, no? And no, Murillo wasn't as horrendous as buck, no where near that level.

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

I provided the link too, and corrected to 5 wins, but still the point stands, we were still better. How typical though that you had to resort to personal insults , just like the other guy who disagreed. This seems to the pattern among the folks here who are unable to prove a point using logic. You made a big deal that we did better without Murillo what with him. I provided you a link that indicates otherwise, counting all competition, which we have to count to assess overall contribution. Thanks for correcting the number, but even with the correction, the point still stands: we did better with him than without. And without him and Duncan it was even worse. Duncan wasn't available for play-offs to play this position due to injury, which means leaving Murillo out was a huge mistake, no? And no, Murillo wasn't as horrendous as buck, no where near that level.

No personal attacks at all, my friend! I (and what appears to be 99% of this board), thought Murillo was trash last season. You think he was a top defender in the league with off the charts stats. We disagree. He's gone. We can move on and start arguing about how much you think Seagrist is the next star.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

IDK what to say to that other than online school must have been really tough for you last year. Hope your parents let opt for you to be in school this fall!

No personal attacks at all, my friend!

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

No personal attacks at all, my friend! I (and what appears to be 99% of this board), thought Murillo was trash last season. You think he was a top defender in the league with off the charts stats. We disagree. He's gone. We can move on and start arguing about how much you think Seagrist is the next star.

My points when it comes to Armas and Michael essentially come down to this:

- Murillo was not a top defender last year and regressed from year before, but still was WAY better than Buck, and leaving him off the play-off roster whilst taking Buck was a very bad mistake by Armas, since all year's work comes down to a few play-off games, and we lost this one very narrowly.

- Murillo was a star before Armas and a star after Armas, which to me speaks very poorly of the coach.

Your chief point from what I can tell is this: 

- Murillo sucked, with big (false) emphasis on the team having better record without him, which I have disproved with facts and evidence, providing links to all competitions

- That prompted you to bring up another Buckmaster like scrub, Seagrist, whom I never claimed was any good at all, causing another false narrative on your part

You are right on one thing though, we will need to disagree on this one and move on.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

My points when it comes to Armas and Michael essentially come down to this:
- Murillo was not a top defender last year and regressed from year before, but still was WAY better than Buck, and leaving him off the play-off roster whilst taking Buck was a very bad mistake by Armas, since all year's work comes down to a few play-off games, and we lost this one very narrowly.
- Murillo was a star before Armas and a star after Armas, which to me speaks very poorly of the coach.

Your chief point from what I can tell is this: 
- Murillo sucked, with big (false) emphasis on the team having better record without him, which I have disproved with facts and evidence, providing links to all competitions
- That prompted you to bring up another Buckmaster like scrub, Seagrist, whom I never claimed was any good at all, causing another false narrative on your part

You are right on one thing though, we will need to disagree on this one and move on.

Where are murillo's defensive stats?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users